Budget 0-20k Need low cost PC for torrents and HD movies (Used Hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay you got to be kidding me here, the stated TDP for an ATOM / Brazos class processor is ~5W -->10W. You are telling me that the Pentium G530 can be this efficient when under load, also this is going of the rails because of both the processors are targeted at different work-details.

I still do not suggest an Intel Celeron class processor, it is clocked 200MHz slower than the G620 (not G630) and this ends up as a ~10% fall in single-thread performance and at such price points this is cutting it too close. If you want power efficiency and day-to-day tasks with HD-content viewing / casual gaming an AMD Llano setup (dual-core) is much better, if you want to have an entry-level gaming RIG and are adding a discrete graphics card the G620 is the processor to go for.

Google Atom Vs g530 to know what people actually buy when they need a efficient system , the TDP of a atom does not include the northbridge & integrated GPU like it does for g530 , g530 consumes same power as a atom at idle & about 10 watt more at load but also gives 4 times the computing power , so it easily destroys a Atom in efficiency , & it beats the the brazos easily with almost same power consumption , also the motherboards in these mini-itx Atom& brazos lack all the features that he can get with a g530+h61 combo , only reason to go for these Atom /brazos is if you want small form factor & fanless system which not what the OP requires.

A 10% fall in performance over a g620 is not going to effect the OP much for what he intends to use the PC & he can also replace the CPU later with a new or used i3 or g630 if he requires more power, right now a g530 fits his requirement for his budget & intended use perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess satishiniti has completed building his rig. So closing the thread to avoid discussion not related to the thread. satishiniti if you need to discuss further regarding your config then do feel feel to PM me. I will open the thread again.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess satishiniti has completed building his rig. So closing the thread to avoid discussion not related to the thread. satishiniti if you need to discuss further regarding your config then do feel feel to PM me. I will open the thread again.

This discussion can still benefit others who have similar requirement as satish

Google Atom Vs g530 to know what people actually buy when they need a efficient system , the TDP of a atom does not include the northbridge & integrated GPU like it does for g530 , g530 consumes same power as a atom at idle & about 10 watt more at load but also gives 4 times the computing power , so it easily destroys a Atom in efficiency , & it beats the the brazos easily with almost same power consumption , also the motherboards in these mini-itx Atom& brazos lack all the features that he can get with a g530+h61 combo , only reason to go for these Atom /brazos is if you want small form factor & fanless system which not what the OP requires.

Point is OP has already bought his system --
Phenom IIx4 955 (second-hand)
GIGABYTE-785GM-D2H (second-hand)

and our thoughts do not matter, by the way where are you getting such magical stats for the power consumption of ATOM and Brazos platforms. They consume as a whole no more than ~5W -->10W at-least including CPU + iGP.

Here are benchmark runs and corresponding details courtesy Anandtech -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

I do not think that the Pentium G530 can be below ~32W on load, performance is a completely different parameter and I had stated so in the earlier posts.

Here are the numbers for a Pentium G620 --> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/406; on load it is touching close to ~77W on idle it is pulling ~55W; even if I take a liberal 5W off on both counts I do not reach ~32W by a long shot.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• Browsing
  • Download rig, 24x7 operation
  • Watching HD movies
  • softwares like Visual Studio 2010.

• He also mentions workloads like Visual Studio 2010, surely that warrants a decent dual-core in my books.

by the way where are you getting such magical stats for the power consumption of ATOM and Brazos platforms. They consume as a whole no more than ~5W -->10W at-least including CPU + iGP.

Here are benchmark runs and corresponding details courtesy Anandtech -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

I do not think that the Pentium G530 can be below ~32W on load,

I posted a link to g530 review by windwithme go & check the power consumption at load, you will be surprised.

I posted a link to g530 review by windwithme go & check the power consumption at load, you will be surprised.

I went through it, windwithme posted it on TE as well if I am not wrong. On load it is going to ~42W.

And I am repeating OP has bought his RIG our sparring on this matter is not going to change things.

Meanwhile quoting from the same review
G530 3D performance is far behind G620. However, the power consumption is better.
Standby is only 22W and CPU/GPU full speed is only 53W. Power saving capability is Desktop No.1 so far.

CPU / GPU full blast are taking in ~53W pretty close to G620 at idle. And 3D performance of AMD iGP's by AMD is commendable.

Here are the numbers for a Pentium G620 --> AnandTech - Bench - CPU; on load it is touching close to ~77W on idle it is pulling ~55W; even if I take a liberal 5W off on both counts I do not reach ~32W by a long shot.

You forgot to mention the Anandtech power consumption benchmark also includes a HD5870 & he has not even mentioned what other hardware he used in the benchmark

- - - Updated - - -

I went through it, windwithme posted it on TE as well if I am not wrong.

Its 22 watt idle & 42 watts load ,10 watt more & 4x more performance , ATOM is 32 watt at load

Its 22 watt idle & 42 watts load ,10 watt more & 4x more performance , ATOM is 32 watt at load

I mentioned that in my previous post and I repeat all this does not change the fact that OP has bought a Phenom IIx4 processor based build.

I am leaving this on this point, that the Celeron is a capable performer but I have not seen it widely in the retail chain and at that price point it really depends on what the end-user wants. Win-some, lose-some. Cheerio! and good night.

I mentioned that in my previous post and I repeat all this does not change the fact that OP has bought a Phenom IIx4 processor based build.

I know that OP has bought his PC , only reason i decided to reply here was because it will help someone else with a similar requirement .

Sorry for the delay, received the PSU 2 days back.... and it was a good experience with the Seller (TechShop.in)... the item was packed well and shipping done via Bluedart....(shipping charges differ on priority and location).....they also have different payment options (NEFT, Debit Card, CC...etc)
FSP SAGA II 400 400W Power Supply - SAGA II 400 by: FSP - TechShop.in
It costed me 2029/- + 179/-(shipping) =2208/-
Hope that would help others who are looking for budget options in building PC.....

Thanks ALPHA17

late to the party :p
congrats satish for the purchases as well as for having a nice experience with techshop!
just wanted to post for the benefit of others unaware about techshop that even i have dealt with them in a UPS (APC) through ebay sometime back, as well as for inquiring about some PC components through phone & email. had got the UPS from them at the lowest local as well as ebay price, and they were quite responsive regarding queries too.
(perhaps this needs to go to some 'dealer feedback' thread if we have it over here?!) :)

I went through it, windwithme posted it on TE as well if I am not wrong. On load it is going to ~42W.

And I am repeating OP has bought his RIG our sparring on this matter is not going to change things.

Meanwhile quoting from the same review

CPU / GPU full blast are taking in ~53W pretty close to G620 at idle. And 3D performance of AMD iGP's by AMD is commendable.

Did not see your edited post , you will never be able to get 53 watt consumption in real life senario like he got with the OCCT Power Supply test , real load power consumption is around 40 watts max which has been confirmed by many other benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back