New rig for gaming and photoshop

I'd better stick with HAF 922... will save 2k bucks...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz B.E. @ 7.8k
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz B.E. C3 @ 8.9k

MSI HD5770 HAWX 1GB GDDR5 @ 9.5k
Biostar HD5770 1GB GDDR5 @ 8.7k

MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 5.8k
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H @ 8.5k
Biostar TA890GXE @ 6.6k
Asus M4A87TD-EVO @ 6k

Cooler Master HAF 922 @ 6.6k
Cooler Master 690 Black Edition @ 5.3k

Razer Arctosa @ 2.4k
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 @ 1.1k

GSKILL Ripjaws Series 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH @ 6.2k
Razer DeathAdder @ 2.3k
Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Control Edition @ 1.1k
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB @ 3k
LG 22x DVD RW @ 1.1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
ASUS Xonar DX @ 4.5k

Please comment on the CPU,Mobo,KB and Cabby....:)
rest are fixed...

It's way beyond my 35k budget...:bleh::eek:hyeah:

Finally... got some cash in hand...:clap: but still falling short...:ashamed:
so postponed the Graphy purchase, and went with plain 2500 with a H67 instead of original 2500K with a P67 :(

Intel Core i5 2500 10.5k
G.Skill Ripjaws X 4GB 2.5k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2.7k
Corsair VX 450 3.5k
Razer Cyclosa Bundle 2k
NZXT Tempest EVO 5.5k
Monitor EXISTING
Speaker EXISTING
UPS EXISTING
DVD Writer EXISTING

Motherboard
either P8H67-M EVO or P8H67-M PRO (must have an IDE connector :ashamed:)
and is the additional bucks on EVO worth spending ?

Corsair SSD 60 GB

Is this fine ? i dont install more than 1 game at a time and will be using XP SP3 only.

Please advise guys.Will be visiting SP Road tomorrow.:clap::clap::clap:

Get a MSI H67MA-E35 (B3). Costs just 5k-5.2k. You can get a new SATA DVD R/W in ~0.9k! Still it will end up cheaper than going for Asus EVO or Pro just for IDE Connector!
Plus you can make ~Rs.400 or so selling your current DVD R/W

DarkAngel said:
Using SSD with XP is definitely not recommend as it lacks TRIM support. If you are using a SSD then use Windows7 Only
Damn... Win7 is fat as an elephant. Too bloated. Will have to decide on this.

I have 4 IDE drives. 500 gigs x 2. 320 gigs x 2. To transfer i have to either buy an external adapter(another 800 bucks ?) or a Mobo with IDE connector. What say ? :S

I'm having a new SATA Samsung DVD Writer. No need for it :)

Any suggestions about the Case ?

carbonn said:
Damn... Win7 is fat as an elephant. Too bloated. Will have to decide on this.

I have 4 IDE drives. 500 gigs x 2. 320 gigs x 2. To transfer i have to either buy an external adapter(another 800 bucks ?) or a Mobo with IDE connector. What say ? :S

I'm having a new SATA Samsung DVD Writer. No need for it :)

Any suggestions about the Case ?
I am not too sure about the adapter. Wait for others to comment.
NZXT Tempest EVO is good. You can take a look at CM 690 AdavnceII as a alternative.
Windows 7 is excellent OS and once you use it you will never go back to XP. It has boat load of features and there is no reason why you should not use it at this day and age. Yeah you will have to give up ~15-20GB of space for a Win7 HP 64-bit but still you will have 25GB-30GB for installing games and apps in your 60GB SSD.
But i repeat again dont use the SSD w/o TRIM support.

Read few comparisons between both cases... will be going with the one you suggested...
Win 7 - I was planning to install the 32bit one... as i work on Visual Studio and Adobe Products...

Any other suggestions for the SSD... preferably 80 GB...

will be waiting for the Z68 to release... we can see the boards, hopefully by the end of this month... considering the media embargo is removed on May 8th regarding the Motherboards...

IF you have this much patience Sire wait till the upcoming AMD Zambezi and FX series processor come, then depending on price / performance value proposition go for the buy.

carbonn said:
been postponing my build for the last few months... don't know when my desire will overtake my patience...

Never :p

Bulldozer processors are gonna launch in the month of June

LIano processors are gonna launch in the month Of July-August

Sandy Bridge-E processors are gonna launch in the fourth quarter maybe in october... :)

Are you ready to play the wait game? :p

carbonn said:
Seeing the prices of BD, I'm unsure of their performance. Should i wait for BD or go for a SB based config ?

Barely a month left, it's worth the wait now. You've got nothing to lose. If BD turns out to be better, the 8 core would cost 226$, which is just a bit costlier than the Core i5 2500k.

Its really not certain that whether Bulldozer processors would launch even next month or not... Bulldozer processors have already been delayed so many times that there is really no guarantee that they would launch next month... They were supposed to launch before Liano processors then AMD delayed it to third quarter and now the bulldozer processors have been delayed to 4th quarter... See if you can wait then good otherwise SB processors are no slouch either ;)

Guys, my primary use will be encoding using x264, Photoshop and Fruity Loops. No hard core gaming. No overclocking. Will BD suffice.

What would be the price of both FX 8120 and a suitable motherboard ?

I've decided to go with X4 965 BE C3 and a 970 based board. Will use the saved cash in upgrading my speakers and others. Will next upgrade when Vishera comes out.

^^ Sire, get the Sandy-Bridge Core i5 2400 ~ 9500/-, slap it on a Intel DH67-BL ~ 5200/-, couple it with Corsair XMS3 4GB x 2 ~ 3200/- + any graphics card of your choice.

AnandTech - Bench - CPU -- Intel Sandy-Bridge vs. Phenom IIx4.

Power the set-up with a Corsair TX V2 650W ~ 5200/- and I think you'll be set for the next 2 - 3 years, hope this helps. Cheers!!

Back