Nexus 5 in the House!

My problem is not against this phone. I would suggest this phone to anyone in US. NOT IN INDIA. the price is truly disastrous. This post is not for people buying from US, as you still need a good 200 or 250 USD more to get the flagship.
But in India? with your own money? No you shouldn't buy this phone.
This is a problem with India and i don't think the price will come down very soon.

Last year the complaint was it took long to get here. This year its $100 more expensive than it should be.

maybe next year will be the year for nexus.

@Sobirvs: I agree with some of your points. Especially the camera and screen size part, but I really laughed at that 'pure android' thing once again, and ready to go phone? Lol, what's the definition of that? I thought all the phones are 'ready to go', I don't know, do Nexus things need something to be done to say receive calls or send a text? :p
Anyway, m-jeri is right, it's not my money, nor my thing, and commenting both +ve or -ve about it isn't crediting any money to my account, no one really gets that!

Last edited:
I have to agree with @Sobirvs. I always have 2 phones and I have tried everything from TW to Sense to LG's UI in their flagship devices in the past year.
Why is it so difficult to understand that just like you guys feel the need for those features, we prefer the nakedness/simplicity of Vanilla Android.
Every CM ROM I have used have at least a few bugs. You should realize that the fact that Nexus devices are cheap is not it's only selling factor. There are so many fans of CM that they have turned themselves into a company. So why can't Google tap into this fanbase and give the users what they want.
I am an advanced user but after the last few years I have come to a point that I like my devices stock-rooted. At one time I had a N7, N10 and a Galaxy Nexus in the house at the same time and it felt so great that I could pick-up any device and not have to reacquaint myself with the UI.
IMO, the Nexus line is Google's answer to the iPhone/iPad combo. You get regular updates, similar UI across all devices and all apps will work perfectly as generally developers will be using Nexus devices to test their apps. Plus point is you still have the freedom of Android and that of flashing ROMs you like just like any other Android phone out there.
Again, if you guys need and use the features that TW or any other manufacturer's UI brings to the table, good for you. But I, and many others find them cumbersome and ungainly to look at. So I really don't see an issue worth debating on. It's just like how different people like different music.

@Sobirvs: I agree with some of your points. Especially the camera and screen size part, but I really laughed at that 'pure android' thing once again, and ready to go phone? Lol, what's the definition of that? I thought all the phones are 'ready to go', I don't know, do Nexus things need something to be done to say receive calls or send a text? :p
Anyway, m-jeri is right, it's not my money, nor my thing, and commenting both +ve or -ve about it isn't crediting any money to my account, no one really gets that!

What is so funny about the Pure Android part. It should be Vanilla Android but I think you understood that he was referring to the same thing.
As for the 'ready-to-go' phone. It generally refers to a phone being bug free and the term has been used for a long time by iPhone fans. This term used to hold some ground in earlier days when TW etc were in infancy and it was imperative to use a good ROM to be able to use your phone to the best of it's abilities. In that context, I think all Android skins have come a long way and many advanced users including myself have taken a liking to stock experience. But still in all other devices except the Nexus devices, I prefer using a ROM in which the devs have taken care of the small niggles that are present in every software product.

wow, too many posts to quote so, I will just stop arguing :) Had late dinner and now too many cigs so, I am a bit lazy for now.

Anyways, here's one more point

- Samsung get's it's prices reduced every now and then for their phones so when someone wants to upgrade to a new samsung phone with better hardware he has to put alot of cash from his side. With phones like iPhones and Nexus series, there's no shit like that. Atleast not in India. it's barely been 6 months for S4 release and it already has got price like 35k , I even saw 32k somewhere some weeks back ;) Nexus 4 only got it's price reduced in Diwali season when most electronic items get's it's priced reduced so it was normal. It was not even from LG side anyways :p

btw @m-jeri , really bad points, I can defend all of them seriously.

Oh well, we atleast all can agree that we all use smartphones, be it n5/4 s4/3 iPhone 5/s , it's all awesome.

@blr_p so what have you decided on buying?
Probably Z1 but not right now.

[DOUBLEPOST=1384894354][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yaar I hav bought N5 from US but yet to be delivered to me.
Now these posts are discouraging/demotivating for me.
Ignore them and enjoy your phone when it arrives.[DOUBLEPOST=1384894811][/DOUBLEPOST]
but I really laughed at that 'pure android' thing once again, and ready to go phone? Lol, what's the definition of that?
The most extensive selection of ROMs out there.

Last edited:
The most extensive selection of ROMs out there.
How many ROMs people need really? For S4 I see zillion ROMs, Arrow, Crash, Legend, Omega, Phoenix, Wanam, CM blah blah blah, and even more for i9505! When I got the S4 (i9500), tested three of them, Arrow, Crash and Phoenix, and other than the looks (each devs modded as they liked, changing the boot anim or the battery or any other icon isn't a decidable thing or important!!), and they all are SAME. One says 'improved scrolling' while other uses the word 'smooth', basically are same with scrolling cache disabled! Now which word/s 'sounds' better to you will be your thing. ALL ARE SAME. If I were the handler I honestly would not even allowed those many people to throw same things with new coatings! Nice way to keep running your donation metre though. When I first entered XDA back in 04-05, it was different place, in a far better sense :(

How many ROMs people need really?
Upto the individual.

For S4 I see zillion ROMs, Arrow, Crash, Legend, Omega, Phoenix, Wanam, CM blah blah blah, and even more for i9505!

When I got the S4 (i9500), tested three of them, Arrow, Crash and Phoenix, and other than the looks (each devs modded as they liked, changing the boot anim or the battery or any other icon isn't a decidable thing or important!!), and they all are SAME.

One says 'improved scrolling' while other uses the word 'smooth', basically are same with scrolling cache disabled! Now which word/s 'sounds' better to you will be your thing. ALL ARE SAME.
Because they are themed ROMs.

For me stable CM is most important, that means you can get android updates even if the vendor decides not to support the device. Not possible with a themed ROM. Even if you don't care about ROMs this ensures a better resale price.

There is no stable CM for i9500

If I were the handler I honestly would not even allowed those many people to throw same things with new coatings! Nice way to keep running your donation metre though. When I first entered XDA back in 04-05, it was different place, in a far better sense :(
Why is GOI allowing all these different phones in the market. They should give license only to apple & samsung :D

Last edited:
All camps have some valid points- there is no definite here. Each to his own IMHO.
  • My N5 loudspeaker is almost pathetic. I would literally pull out my hair and still not hear it in the usual averagely noisy places. But i almost never used the loudspeaker on any of my phones till date. So not losing peace of mind over that.
  • I like the G2 overall but the SAMOLED-like colours are exactly what i dont want and prefer the N5 display way more. I actually sold my GNote to buy the GNote2 but found it not appealing enough at launch in price or ergonomics or display. Got a GNex and loved it but gave it up as i got fed up of the fake colours eventually. Even ordinary pics on FB, etc looked dramatic and nice but fake. So moved to a cheapo LG L9 despite the non-HD screen and lil lower specs as it also gave me better battery life and microSD support..
So, choices and priorities will vary. There is no definitive 'best' out there.
(To some HTC One is overpriced. I feel Al unibody, polised UI, etc is not cheap to offer and that phone really feels premium. So price is subjective.)

As mentioned earlier, why S4 9505 for my secondary phone over G2 or S4 9500 or HTC One, when i don't like SAMOLED and i think the G2 is the better-N5 when breaching 30k mark?
  • My secondary phone is also my PMP/PAP with voice-calling support so as not to miss any calls.
  • 9505 is S600-equipped and has better battery life (and has a natural mode for display that mimics IPS?) So 9500 is out.
  • I prefer phone with microSD as i want more than 32GB for my music files, can keep multiple cards with more music and i can change phone and move my pics, backups with the card without much effort. I prefer removable battery- Use, abuse, replace. So G2 (and maybe HTC One with smaller display) is out.
Sad that G2 prices in US have dropped but S4 9505 have not.

16GB N5 in the US is a no brainer. It's like those impulse buy thingies- no regrets. :D
If buying in India, people should consider all options before finalising whatever and not blindly buy N5 16/32 just because N5 is cheaper than other S800 devices.
There are some issues reported with loudspeaker volume, camera focussing speed, battery life, ... and am hoping those are just teething issues maybe and not QC issues.
(To me a S600 device selling at similar price point as N5 also seems appealing enough.)

Last edited:
Upto the individual.
Upto the flashoholic I'd say ;)

There is no stable CM for i9500
Oh dear Lord! So it's about Crappy Modifications, hmm :p
There's no CM for i9500, I can't express how much happy I'm about it. It is never coming to my any phones ever anyway, it's just a pleasure to not see those nagging kids in XDA. You can call me the biggest hater of C.M. Running C.M on S4 will be making a 7 series to a Honda City, it might be a thing for those low end phones, which will never be updated, because C.M will update you, technically at least.
:D

Last edited:
I think the G2 is a solid device, but it looks awful in my opinion. Not a fan of the buttons on the back either. If you don't really care about the camera and all you need is a battery that gets you through the day, the N5 is a fantastic pickup.

And the G2's UI is an eyesore. Sure there's CM and all that, but one of the reasons I bought a Nexus 4 was so I didn't have to spend my time flashing different ROMs just to get a good looking and stable experience. I was a certified flashoholic when I owned a Galaxy S but I just don't have time for it anymore.

The Nexus 5 does everything I need, and looks good to boot (as a design geek, this is important to me). If I didn't have an N4 already, I would have bought one.

Congratulations OP.

Last edited:
Oh dear Lord! So it's about Crappy Modifications, hmm :p
There's no CM for i9500, I can't express how much happy I'm about it. It is never coming to my any phones ever anyway, it's just a pleasure to not see those nagging kids in XDA. You can call me the biggest hater of C.M. Running C.M on S4 will be making a 7 series to a Honda City, it might be a thing for those low end phones, which will never be updated, because C.M will update you, technically at least.
:D
I'm still stuck on 4.1 for the note 10.1. There ain't no stable CM for it even a year after its launch.

An OS update, that too free, is crappy ?

4.2.2 is good for tablets since it gives you multiple user support and Day-dream option(screensaver in windows).
Rest of the features are almost same on smartphones, since only Project Butter is main thing introduced in Jelly Bean 4.1.x to 4.3.x
4.4 Kit-kat is something new, Project Svelte :)

Back