WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt the Lumia 920's camera better than the iPhone 5? Why the same score then?
And compared to the iPhone 5, the 920 doesn't seem that big.

Pretty much what I expected. The design is very deliberate. The Lumia 900 was relatively thick and heavy too, but no phone inspired the kind of confidence it did. It's just a fabulous design though I am a bit skeptical about the brighter colours. For those who prefer smaller and lighter phones, check out the HTC 8X. In some ways the design is even more innovative. Regardless, these are the two best designed smartphones (obviously considering the OS too) on the market, hands down.

I see a trend where all Windows Phone products are being smashed due to the "lack of apps". Instead of making such blanket statements I wish they would make a balanced argument about exactly what is missing and why it is irreplaceable, and also considering the vastly superior interface and OS, the first party apps and their deep integration of Windows Phone. E.g. the always-on Skype app which acts like a second connection, the People app that combines all social networks and the cloud-connected Office, where you can continue where you left off on your PC, are killer apps. Not to mention the amazing Nokia Maps/Drive. Also, at Build 2012 they are really pushing gaming. By switching to the Windows NT core, WP8 has full DirectX support. Why are these not considered in the "app debate"?

AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 launches on November 9th for $99, Lumia 820 for $49

Good pricing I must say, although considering that the 920 is going to be carrier exclusive for 6 months, I might go with 820 or 8X.

Lumia 920 review from Gizmodo: Lumia 920 Review: Just Too Damn Heavy
Would it really be uncomfortable to carry?

Firstly, please don't read Gizmodo reviews. :)

Secondly, forget the reviews and try to find user observations -

Owner of the 920, does it actually feel much heavier than the 900? All the reviews are scaring me... : windowsphone

"Tape four US quarters (4*6g) to your 900 (160g). This is the weight of the 920 (185g), more or less. If you're really that worried about the weight though, you're probably not going to want the 920." :p

Also, other observations -

• Pics taken by a Nokia Lumia 920 owner. He keeps updating the link - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=674be3c42e032bca&id=674BE3C42E032BCA!3064

• Pics comparison - Camera phone comparison; iPhone 5, Note II, HTC 8X, Lumia 920 (photo gallery) | ZDNet

• Lumia 920 does a fantastic job recording videos where the sound will be having a lot of bass, say a disc or a concert. They have totally missed out promoting this. I would promote the hell out of this feature!

The 920 is definitely in my radar. The iPhone 5 being the next. Pricing will be the deciding factor. 35k or less, I'll pick it up no questions asked. The matte variant ofc.

Another review I came across which felt pretty honest - Nokia Lumia 920 review: Windows Phone 8′s white knight falls short | BGR

Nokia’s Lumia 920 is a wonderful smartphone in some ways and a heartbreaking handset in others — just like the Lumia 900 that came before it, and just like the Lumia 800 that launched ahead of the 900. Smartphones powered by Microsoft’s mobile platform also have an app problem that isn’t going away any time soon.
Compounding matters is the fact that many popular apps that do come over to Windows Phone from other platforms have performance and usability issues, as I have mentioned previously. Apps on other platforms also offer far more comprehensive experiences in many cases compared to their Windows Phone counterparts. Sometimes it’s the developers’ fault and sometimes issues are brought about by platform limitations, but in the end it really doesn’t matter. The users suffer either way.[/FONT]
[FONT=pt_serif-regular]I hope the situation will improve. Windows Phone 8 offers developers new tools to build apps and games using native code, and the results could be great. Porting apps from other Microsoft platforms should be a breeze now thanks to shared code and there are tremendous opportunities for unique apps and games that offer an integrated experience across platforms.

In the meantime, we’re in a holding pattern. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Windows Phone is an outstanding platform and vendors like Nokia and HTC are building gorgeous handsets powered by Microsoft’s mobile operating system. Apps are still a huge barrier though, and more importantly, there is still no differentiation compelling enough to pry people away from Android and iOS.

The Lumia 920 is a great smartphone. It has its faults, and you might have to hit the gym a few extra times each week in order to lift it, but it is still a great smartphone. The design is unique and sharp, the performance has improved dramatically from earlier Windows Phones and the camera is amazing. Does that add up to an experience that outweighs the platform’s many limitations? For the majority of consumers, I don’t think it does.

It will definitely be under 40k in India considering that its about half the price of an iPhone 5 on a 2/3 year contract.
I'd guess it would be around 35k.

I checked AT&T website and it seems the contract plans are same for all handsets. Now, iPhone 16GB is $199 on contract and $649 unlocked. By simple arithmetic, Lumia 920 should cost $549 contract free. Seems to be a good price, if they want to sell these in millions, they have to price it 15-20% less than for taking customers from iOS/Android.

But why is it exclusive to AT&T and Rogers in US and Canada respectively. Why Rogers?!:mad44:
They have shitty plans, its better to buy it outright.

For what it's worth, it is $599 unlocked in the US. I would expect a price tag of Rs. 35k as well. It weighs 185g. That's heavy only relatively, not absolutely. I'm afraid you don't get unique features like optical image stabilization, wireless charging, a tank-like build quality etc for free. A lot of people criticize Samsung for using plastic, but let's be fair, it is a very logical material for smartphones. Very light, flexible, durable and allows for removable panels. Glass and aluminium look cool but as the iPhone proves they have excessive longevity and durability issues (I mean, iPhone 5 coming scratched out of the box? That's totally unacceptable). All that said, HTC has nailed it with their rubber finish polycarbonates. Not quite as rigid as Nokia, not as light as Samsung, but overall best balance of all worlds.

If weight is a primary concern then check out HTC 8X, looks like a superb phone, certainly the most beautifully designed phone out there today. It is priced at Rs. 35k which sounds inflated to me and the 4.3 inch screen may be a tad small for some (who should look to Ativ S, which is exactly like the US Galaxy S III internall). There's also the HTC 8S, priced at Rs. 19k seems like a great deal.

Actually the carrier exclusivity is the main concern for me, and could be for a lot of other people as well. Considering 8X will be launching on multiple carriers, some people who wanted to get the 920 would instead have to get 8X.
What are the main differences between the two except for the obvious ones like no PureView camera, PureMotion Screen etc.?

Actually the carrier exclusivity is the main concern for me, and could be for a lot of other people as well. Considering 8X will be launching on multiple carriers, some people who wanted to get the 920 would instead have to get 8X.
What are the main differences between the two except for the obvious ones like no PureView camera, PureMotion Screen etc.?

The 8X has a very good camera too, similar to but improved over One X. In low-light or moving camera nothing comes close to 920 but in steady day light shots it's very close between iPhone 5, 8X and 920. Some people are saying 8X has slightly less latitude so in bright day light it can blow out and look a little over exposed. Also, 8X has the best front facing camera, 1080p recording and a much wider angle lens which apparently can fit you and 3 other people around you at arm's length. Apart from the obvious unique features to Lumia 920, 8X will miss some of the Nokia exclusive apps, although Bing Maps in WP8 now uses Nokia's Navteq data. Apparently Navteq has 4 times as much data as Google Maps which is not surprising considering Nokia Maps was always awesome.

I think it will come down to how much size matters to you. In any case, there are three excellent flagship phones for Windows Phone 8. Surprisingly Ativ S is the least exciting, even though it is nearly identical to the best selling Android phone, which says Nokia and HTC have stepped it up a notch.

Actually, Nokia had to beat the competition in some manner - simply having the best of hardware and software won't win it business. By making it exclusive to AT&T in US and Rogers in Canada, they have managed to get a fantastic $99 contract price which would have been $250-$300 for any top-of-the-line smartphone.

So, people do despise AT&T but $99 is too sweet a deal for the Lumia 920!

India is a big focus for Nokia. Lumia 800, 710, 610 and 510 all released in India before/concurrently with anywhere in the world. (In fact 510 is still only exclusive to India) Just below Lumia the next brand name is a Hindi word. It is one of the few markets in the world where Nokia is still a big brand name.

On the other hand, Nokia hasn't been too keen on pushing highest-end flagship devices to India for many years now, and that trend continued with Lumia 900. So I wouldn't expect too much from 920, Rs. 35k is most likely, but 820 will surely be available at a killer price.

I don't know why the consumer electronics companies do not value the buying power in Indian market. They just try to have a big fat profit margin assuming low sales number :|

That's an amazing price. I wonder what would it be for us Indians. :(

I guess it will be around 35k in India, at what price will you go for it?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why the consumer electronics companies do not value the buying power in Indian market. They just try to have a big fat profit margin assuming low sales number :|

That 450$ price tag is for a locked phone and you wont get the unlock codes for another 6 months atleast, so you cant compare with those locked prices, better compare the European unlocked prices.

Yeah I am looking at somewhere between 33~35k which looks reasonable for the device. I am thoroughly satisfied by the WP platform. Couple of my colleagues here have the Lumia 710 and HD7. Used both the devices and absolutely loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back