WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is Saholic for shopping. I tried calling them but no 1 taking the call. I am kept only on waiting.

Decent I guess. My roomie got his Spice MI 410 from Saholic and the device was delivered via Blue Dart the second day. I am not really sure about their customer service.

Yeah, it is a feature packed phone but my friend has Samsung Note and if I buy this phone then he gonna compare both the phones feature by feature and now there is one more feature which 920 lacks. If Nokia lumia 920 going to be around 35k then I believe it is better to buy Note 2 rather than 920.

Actually with today's scenario, you don't invest in features. You invest in ecosystems. Almost all phones have the same feature set, give or take. Just as an example - the large size of the Note 2 might not be a positive for everyone. At the same time, the extra bulk on the 920 will deter some other users.

At 35k, Nokia Lumia 920 is a very good phone if you take into consideration that the iPhone 5 sells for 45k and Galaxy Note 2 sells for 37k. But, to each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Sei: 32 GB itself seem to be an overkill sorts for me. :p

Yeah, 32 GB is more than enough for apps and videos/music on the phone but I am still open to a scenario wherein I can simply carry my external drive filled with movies/series if I am away from home for a certain duration.

Actually with today's scenario, you don't invest in features. You invest in ecosystems. Almost all phones have the same feature set, give or take. Just as an example - the large size of the Note 2 might not be a positive for everyone. At the same time, the extra bulk on the 920 will deter some other users.

At 35k, Nokia Lumia 920 is a very good phone if you take into consideration that the iPhone 5 sells for 45k and Galaxy Note 2 sells for 37k. But, to each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, 32 GB is more than enough for apps and videos/music on the phone but I am still open to a scenario wherein I can simply carry my external drive filled with movies/series if I am away from home for a certain duration.

Talking of which, any idea about the codec support on the Nokia 920 or WP 8 for that matter?
That was sorely missing on WP 7 phones !!

Talking of which, any idea about the codec support on the Nokia 920 or WP 8 for that matter?
That was sorely missing on WP 7 phones !!

No MKV.. all AVIs and MP4s play now. Earlier, there were certain bitrates which wouldn't play. Now everything plays. But no MKV is still a sore point.

Sid, I believe FLAC as well?

Though it would have been extremely cool, but I don't believe it does.

Nokia Support Discussions - 920 File Transfer Help - Nokia Support Discussions

Are you trying to put .flac audio files in your Lumia 920? It will not work as Lumia 920 only supports 3G2, AAC, AAC LC, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HE-AAC v1, HE-AAC v2, M4A, MP3, MP4, WAV, WMA 10 Pro, WMA 9 audio formats according to official Nokia Lumia 920 specifications page Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 920

OMG! :(

And no third party support either? Just when I was thinking of loading some regular FLACs into the device.

You can transfer FLACs (using Explorer or MTP sync with WMP/foobar/etc) but you would need a third party app (like Free Music) to play it.

@Gannu - Here's something to salivate on :p

Seether concert clip recorded by Lumia 920. It has a brilliant mic and even captures the bass quite decently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the opportunity to hold both the HTC 8X and Lumia 920 in my hands. Both are great looking phones, and feel awesome. The weight or the thickness of 920 didnt seem like a problem at all, the weight especially seems to be exaggerated by the reviews. I had them for less than minute so coudnt do much, but the Lumia 920 definitely is the better looking device and feels solid.

Rogers Canada is now offering HTC 8X for $0 (was $100 earlier; same as Lumia 920) on a 3-year contract. As appealing as that might sound, they have the shittiest plans in Canada.
I might have to wait till January for the other carriers to get these phones before I can get one. :(

I wouldn't trust the reviews, the quality of maintream tech press is atrocious. If they claim to be "unbiased" they are either being fraudulent or delusional. It is hilarious to see the same person criticizing Galaxy S III for feeling too light (and thus, cheap) and praise iPhone 4S for being the same weight despite half the screen area. Then when iPhone 5 comes along suddenly it is cool and rewarded for being 'unprecedentedly' light (even though it is normal for a phone to be that light - same as HTC 8S which is the same size; just that 4S was extremely dense) and Lumia 920 is unacceptably heavy. Same happened with Surface, I have seen so many reviews saying it is too heavy and too thick even though it is practically the same weight and thickness as an iPad. Of course these biases don't just reflect on size and weight but in all aspects. Where it is dangerous is that the average consumer will buy into their BS easily and clone their opinion, simply because they are written confidently on a famous website.

I had the opportunity to hold both the HTC 8X and Lumia 920 in my hands. Both are great looking phones, and feel awesome. The weight or the thickness of 920 didnt seem like a problem at all, the weight especially seems to be exaggerated by the reviews. I had them for less than minute so coudnt do much, but the Lumia 920 definitely is the better looking device and feels solid.

Rogers Canada is now offering HTC 8X for $0 (was $100 earlier; same as Lumia 920) on a 3-year contract. As appealing as that might sound, they have the shittiest plans in Canada.
I might have to wait till January for the other carriers to get these phones before I can get one. :(

Is Rogers like the AT&T of Canada? :p

Is Rogers like the AT&T of Canada? :p

AT&T is offering the Lumia 920 for $450 with no contract, Rogers wants $550 for it. AT&T has 2-year contracts whereas Rogers has 3 year contracts. Don't know about plans though, but Rogers seems to be shittier than AT&T.
About the plans, lets just say that even after paying double the price per month I wont get all the benefits I'd get from another carrier. Canada is shit when it comes to telecommunication. They have separate charges for incoming calls, Call Display etc.

A decent plan (according to their rep) would cost me $77/month, which still wont have unlimited minutes, and if I go with WIND mobile, I can get everything unlimited (including data) for $40/month. Even the company owned by Rogers, Fido solutions, has much better plans then them.

AT&T is offering the Lumia 920 for $450 with no contract, Rogers wants $550 for it. AT&T has 2-year contracts whereas Rogers has 3 year contracts. Don't know about plans though, but Rogers seems to be shittier than AT&T.
About the plans, lets just say that even after paying double the price per month I wont get all the benefits I'd get from another carrier. Canada is shit when it comes to telecommunication. They have separate charges for incoming calls, Call Display etc.

A decent plan (according to their rep) would cost me $77/month, which still wont have unlimited minutes, and if I go with WIND mobile, I can get everything unlimited (including data) for $40/month. Even the company owned by Rogers, Fido solutions, has much better plans then them.

Wow, didn't know it was so bad.. So, does Rogers have an exceptional coverage or the latest mobiles? I mean, does it have something positive? From what you have written, it looks a bad deal no matter how you look at it.

Wow, didn't know it was so bad.. So, does Rogers have an exceptional coverage or the latest mobiles? I mean, does it have something positive? From what you have written, it looks a bad deal no matter how you look at it.

I dont think there is any positive except the fact that they are the first ones to get a new phone. And that they have the widest network, same as Bell and Telus.

Rogers, Bell and Telus have a monopoly over telecommunications in Canada, and they pretty much do as they like. They own the other 3 major companies: Virgin, Fido and Koodo in Canada. The irony is that these other companies have better plans, but operate on the same network. Also, they dont seem to get the phones their parent company gets.

I wouldn't trust the reviews, the quality of maintream tech press is atrocious. If they claim to be "unbiased" they are either being fraudulent or delusional. It is hilarious to see the same person criticizing Galaxy S III for feeling too light (and thus, cheap) and praise iPhone 4S for being the same weight despite half the screen area. Then when iPhone 5 comes along suddenly it is cool and rewarded for being 'unprecedentedly' light (even though it is normal for a phone to be that light - same as HTC 8S which is the same size; just that 4S was extremely dense) and Lumia 920 is unacceptably heavy. Same happened with Surface, I have seen so many reviews saying it is too heavy and too thick even though it is practically the same weight and thickness as an iPad. Of course these biases don't just reflect on size and weight but in all aspects. Where it is dangerous is that the average consumer will buy into their BS easily and clone their opinion, simply because they are written confidently on a famous website.

Never trust the reviews about looks, feel and the physical hardware of a phone since you can always check it personally before buying.

WIND mobile as in the one which is a major network in Greece ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back