Nokia N79 and N85 prices announced

The Nokia N85 is available for Rs.23k in Maru Collection, sector 17, Vashi Navi Mumbai.

Will go for 5800XM but only after its 1st price drop.

update .. n85 is not priced at 23k .. but 23.9k as of today ,.. i have been to maru collection sector 17 vashi ..he specially ordered single piece for me ..but slider mechanism was faulty :mad: slight movement from left to right in closed position ..also d pad was bit too stiff to use .. apart from these two probs ;) , the phone is simply awesome .. feels solid .. screen is simply awesome .. will try to get my hands on it tomorrow .. and yeah , fm transmitter is there in n85 ..not disabled in software as in n78 .. camera performance is as good as n82 if not better ..only obvious drawback is lack of xenon ..

pls some one post the price of n85 from ur area..:)

yogi7272 said:
got my n85 today :yahoo: :yahoo:
simply super fantastic device ... next bestseller for sure ..:clap:
awesome screen ..

You lucky $%#$$ :eek:hyeah: Congrats bro!! I envy you...

Please answer these queries for me -
1. How is the browsing in the menus and folder opening? Can you compare it with any previous S60 device?

2. How slow are the menu transition effects?

3. Tried any nGage game? How are the graphic effects or the speed? Can you compare with any other GPU Accelerated nGage device?

4. Loudspeaker and Headset volume levels?
Am looking to get this one. BTW, what price?

Does the phone u bought have any problems like the ones which u saw in the piece which was 1st shown to u?

Is the demo version of the NGage game, "Creatures of the Deep" installed on this phone. Does it look as good as that on the N95 8GB?

ok thanks guys i will try to answer ur all questions :) .. even a mini review is on the cards . price paid is 23.3k ..:) my last big phone purchase for sure :rofl: tired of changing handsets now ..:p

1.slider quality is better than n95 8gb .. though there is no movement in up-down direction in closed position .. but a slight very tiny movement from left to right .. though its not a big issue at all ..

2.build quality is very good .. do not feel plasticky at all ..

3. dual led flash is much better than single led of n95 8gb . though its not on the same lines as xenon flash .. my n82 is lying with my friend hence, cant compare .. but lets assure, its not as effective as xenon of n82 but that can be ignored ,as u can use those dual led setup while video recording and those leds are pretty bright .. hence u can record in total darkness which n82 cant do ..

4. fm transmitter is enabled .. and its works fine upto a range of 6feet ..that is what i tried with a friend of mine ..will let u know its exact effective range ..

5. it looks slick and sexy in front of bulky n95 8gb .. at first u cant believe how compact this device is ..

6. keys below the screen are pretty good to use ..they are a bit hard compared to n82 setup but u can get used to it ..no big issue ..

7. yes i think it does support wmv playback ..though i have not tried it personally yet ..will let u know for sure

8. music quality through headset that is creative ep 630, is way way better than n95 8gb and n82 .. bass is bit more pronounced as well midrange ..its definitely better though i am not an audiophile .. i have heard n81 .. and i can say its on the same lines of n81.. only that n81 was a notch louder ..

9. dont expect speakers to be as loud as n95 8gb ..there are not ..though they are bit louder than n82 setup. they are very clear on the maximum volume ..no distortion ..

10. camera performance is very very good in daylight ..i am even liking it better than n82 cos of its vibrant colour reproduction ..atleast on its beautiful oled screen .. though there is a issue with software in low light ..which i think is a firmware issue and will be fixed for sure

11. keypad lock/unlock key is very handy ..

12. this handset does not have slider problem like the first one ..that was the faulty unit for sure ..cos even navi wheel was not working on it ..

13. n gage is very much same as n82 , n95 8gb .. i have not tried global race yet on n85 ..hence cant tell u how much lack of gpu would affect its gaming performance..

14. browsing though menu and folders is same as n82 , n95 8gb .. no lag whatsoever .. these are pretty fast handsets ..:hap2:

15. those menu transition effects are disabled by default .. now let me find those setting first ..:)

overall, i will call it a nice upgrade from n95 8gb .. not sure whether u want to upgrade from n82 which i think is the best nokia handset till date .. though n85 has all the qualities to be a bestseller as well ..

unique features over n82 would be ,

1. 2.6" oled screen ..n82 screen is nowhere in front of it
2. dual led setup which can be used while video recording
3. geo tagging is available in video recording as well
4. feature pack 2 - very nice addition over n82
5. dedicated media keys which can used while music , radio , gaming , camera , gallery
6. comes with 8 gb card bundled ..
7. music quality is way better than n82
8. video playback quality is better too because of oled screen ..same goes for gaming ..
9. keypad lock key is very handy .. missing in n82
10. better keypad
11. camera on the same lines as n82 ..though i think it may be better ..not sure though
12. fm transmitter as well as navi wheel
13. usb charging
14. extra software comes preinstalled as indisms, sms reader, oxford dictionary etc ..
15. battery life is better ..
any more quiries ...

hotshot05 said:
Does the phone u bought have any problems like the ones which u saw in the piece which was 1st shown to u?

Is the demo version of the NGage game, "Creatures of the Deep" installed on this phone. Does it look as good as that on the N95 8GB?

yup .. some 15 games comes preinstalled ..out of which one can be unlocked to full version with the supplied activation code .. not played this on n95 8gb .. hence cant compare .. will let u know how it looks on n85 though ..

Congratulations Yogi on your purchase & very helpful short review.

Even I checked out N85 & N79 today, N85 as Yogi said, has good small dimensions compared to N95 & N82, quality seemed good too. It was retailing for 23k.

N79 also seemed to be a good handset compared to N82 & N78, keypad is nice & dimensions are also small.

Now, ques. is that how is the speed of both the handsets, as N78's speed is pretty slow & what are the advantages of N82 over N85, if any except maybe Xenon flash.

xenon flash and better hardware platform which includes dedicated gpu for gaming .. though it has limited use as of now ..

speed of n85 is same if not better than n82 ,n95 8gb ..

menu transitions effects are very cool ..

update on n85 --

global race - racing thunder , the game which uses gpu built in n82 , n95 8gb just absolutely suck on n85 .. so apps which make use of graphics 3d accelerator wont give u good performance on non-gpu handsets such as n85 ,n79 etc .. the same game runs smoothly on both n82 and n95 8gb .. luckily there are very few apps which makes use of the graphics accelerator, hence its not a big prob ..atleast for me..not much into gaming ..

videos looks simply amazing on n85 ..better than even n95 8gb .. it supports wmv codec too which is lacking in n82 , n95 8gb ..

btw, this is not mini review .. just my random observations of the device ..

Thanx for the answers Yogi, so as of now, the only drawback of this phone is the lack of the GPU which simply sucks, as Nokia are themselves making so many double standard phones that you cannot blame the developers for not utilising the available hardware on the few specific devices. A really bad decision Nokia, you just crippled your bestseller for the next one year.

Another request, please take some pics WITHOUGH USING THE FLASH.
And the other N82 users, @party, even you take some pics without using the flash in broad daylight, so that we can compare the core camera performance and output.

lack of gpu is not a big deal as its utilised in very few apps .. as n95 is out for about 2yrs and still not many apps make use of its gpu .. hence it only mattters in global race ..which i am tired of playing ...only game i played on n82 and n95 8gb ..:rofl: hopefully i will try few more on n85 :)

All other famous ngage games like "fifa 09" etc., work like a charm. The "am-oled" screen is simply awesome.
This screen trumps most, if not all mobile screens in the market. Only issue is with global race. I think i tried the gpu accelerated version of it on n85. I think, there is non-gpu version as well. Let me try that one.

There seem to be some noise in viewfinder while taking low light photos. Though its a software glitch, which will be fixed for sure. All these minor issues are related with new devices, hence not to worry :)

sample pic

Is it just me or the image lacked a little sharpness? Colors were vibrant enough though.
This was withough flash yogi?

I have got the go ahead for the N85, waiting for a few days to get all the queries answered.

Yup. Its without flash. U dont take photos in bright sunlight with flash on or do u? :p I have taken photo of same object with n82 as well as n95 8gb.Out of these three, n85 took the best snap. Hmm, i dont find any issue with sharpness.

And yes, direct sunlight viewing is poor compared to n82, n95 8gb due to its OLED screen. Its a drawback of this type of screen.

Back