Nokia N79 and N85 prices announced

alsiladka said:
I think i might have a noob question here :)

Can you get a GPS lock, without an internet connection or the network connection? Or is a any of the connections required?

Todays mobile phones, which come with inbuilt GPS chips can function as a standalone GPS device. It needs only satellite data to show ur position. Network connection is only required for new fancy features like A-GPS which takes positional data from the cell tower to pin point ur position on the map. A network connection may also be required if u dont have the maps on the phone, then they are downloaded through GPRS.

If u use services like Nokia Maps, Navigon, Route 66, TomTom, they provide the maps for download on their site. But if u use Google Maps, they dont provide the maps to be downloaded on their site and those are downloaded on the go. So u will definately require a GPRS connection if u use Google Maps.

hotshot05 said:
Todays mobile phones, which come with inbuilt GPS chips can function as a standalone GPS device. It needs only satellite data to show ur position. Network connection is only required for new fancy features like A-GPS which takes positional data from the cell tower to pin point ur position on the map. A network connection may also be required if u dont have the maps on the phone, then they are downloaded through GPRS.
If u use services like Nokia Maps, Navigon, Route 66, TomTom, they provide the maps for download on their site. But if u use Google Maps, they dont provide the maps to be downloaded on their site and those are downloaded on the go. So u will definately require a GPRS connection if u use Google Maps.
So is an internet connection required for the satellite data or the GPS chip directly contacts the satellite for the data?
What i basically want to know is, whether the GPS chip is dependant on an internet connection or a GSM/CDMA network? Or is it independant and can work without any other service.

gps chip is not dependant on internet connection whatsoever .. it works on its own .. internet connection just helps it to get faster gps locks via agps ..

sangram said:
Got my N85 today, finally upgraded after 3+ years on a 6320i.

The OS is very confusing to start with, so it'll take me some time to get used to it.

Anybody know of a good torrent client I can run on this thing? I think it'll be a great 'download rig' over the WLAN (I already can surf at full ISP speeds) for night downloading, and with one card dedicated to torrents, I might be able to move files to the main machine quickly. I'm not joking.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the phone, but slowly getting my head around the basics of the menu systems. I'll post back when I come up for air.

have u tried gps ? do u get sattelite locks properly .. is nokia maps working fine ? gps in my n85 is not working .. pls reply .

kkndka said:
congrats on the purchase.. That OLED screen looks killer....

google turned this up- Symtorrent-
SymTorrent | AMORG

Tell us how this goes..
Is it feasible to be using a cellphone as a download rig. Wont excess heat be a problem? .

:O

Can you actually do that?? I mean as a download rig?? :O

It's holding a wlan signal without issues, it just needs a power supply as the client and the wlan both seem to be power hoggers. More than anything it's the prospect of a shorter battery life that's keeping me from doing it, but I see not other reason it can't be done.

I can do about 2GB a night (512 kB/s connection), which means I only need to transfer stuff every couple of days. If there was a way to not use up the battery while doing this, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

Not tried GPS yet ya. I'm in office from morning till night, and since I'm literally a minute away I haven't managed to get lost yet ;)

Indoors it obviously does not work, so I'm yet to try it.

@yogi

It is working for me!! Got 4 satellite connections and even Maps shows about 70% of the GPS bar. Even GeoTagging is working for the images.

At ground level, i was getting only 2 satellites, i had to go to the terrace to get 4 satellites.

Have you tried going to the terrace or an elevated place?

@sangram- i need gps to use it with excellent prog called nokia sports tracker .. me too never managed to get lost in mumbai :p

@alsiladka- thanks for the info dude .. looks like i got a faulty handset .. i think i need to visit nokia care center ..lets see ..

alsiladka said:
@yogi
It is working for me!! Got 4 satellite connections and even Maps shows about 70% of the GPS bar. Even GeoTagging is working for the images.

At ground level, i was getting only 2 satellites, i had to go to the terrace to get 4 satellites.

Have you tried going to the terrace or an elevated place?

is gprs activated on ur handset ? I read somewhere on net that at first time gps needs gprs in form of agps to find exact location..

even when i got n82 first time in dec last year , i was not able to sort out the gps issue . Only after i activated gprs on my handset, the gps started working fine. After that , it worked like charm even without gprs ..

I badly need gps for the app named nokia sports tracker. Have u tried it?

I think u need to have gprs activated on ur cell to get started with gps ..

Lets see if the costly vodafone gprs service is of any help .. hoping for the best..:)

The trick is that gps needs gprs in form of agps to locate exact sattelites in ur area to get initial lock .. I think i did the same with n82 , but was not sure .. activating my gprs did the trick ..:) but , my initial observations is that gps is slower on n85 when compared to n82 .. n78 is fastest of the lot though.. n78 has external gps antenna on the back of battery cover on the top side ..

for n78 .. read this ..
All About Symbian Review: Nokia N78 Review - Part 1: Hardware, Design and Connectivity

I also switched over to N85 from N95 8 GB. The immediate positive difference is sleek, good looking unlike plastic feeling in N95 8 GB, better resolution of screen, navi wheel scrolling, camera cover, keypad lock/unlock button, 3.5mm audio output jack on top instead of left side in N95 8 GB (better if kept in pocket) and negative is micro usb port (non-standard) for charging, data transfer. Screen little smaller than n95 8 GB is not perceived immediately. Memory of 85 MB is less than n95 8 GB, which I can comment after installing some applications otherwise speed is same.

stud123 said:
Memory of 85 MB is less than n95 8 GB, which I can comment after installing some applications otherwise speed is same.
This is an ambigious statement! What exactly do you mean?
Are we talking about the RAM or the Storage? Memory is supposed to mean the RAM in the device, which is lesser than the FP1 devices, but with the improvements in memory management, the difference is not really noticible.
If you are talking about storage, then yes, for some stupid reason, you only get a meagre 30 - 40 MB free on the phone drive. But you are also provided with a 8GB MiniSD card which makes up for the storage.
Tip - All N85 users, uninstall ThemeDIY to free up around 6MB space from your phone drive. I had no use for the software, it was a worthless use of space for me.

Back