Nokia N8 Thread

sumatrix said:
Hey this might sound stupid but can anyone m,easure the length and bredth of the screen and trell me its dimensions?? i do know its 3.5'' butt can anyone give me the actual length and bredth??

Thanks in advance

Oops It seems someone needs mathematics class....
Ok, not being sarcastic...
Use pythogorous theorem, linear equn in 1 var...you get them...
aspect ratio & 3.5 inches help...

hint: (16x)^2+(9x)^2=(3.5)^2...

solve for x and multiply by 16 or 9 to get the dimensions....

As simple as that rather than measuring inscale...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ok the reason for 16 & 9 (640/360) - screen res...

Got my N8 five days back :) shifted from Iphone(2g).No major problem with restarts or hanging of phone but the O.S is buggy :mad:.

Problems facing so far

1) The backlight doesn't go off after locking the phone,sometimes it works other times have to restart the phone and lock the phone using just the lock button only.If I use the Menu button to unlock the screen I don't get the unlock option on the touch screen,the phone straight away goes to the locked home screen and have to unlock it using the lock button and then even if I lock it using the lock keys or the power button the backlight stays on

2) Even though the contact is saved on the phone(no double listing) it doesn't show up as who is calling only the number is displayed(numbers stored in the telephone option of the contact)

3)The proximity sensor while talking works sometimes other times the screen is active which has led to calls getting disconnected or the hold option is activated.

P.S Tried reinstalling the firmware using ovi suite,still the problem persists.A query should I get a different piece or wait for the new firmware.

^^ There is something wrong with your phone.... go get it replaced. A combination of all three problems means there is something up with it. Needs to be checked ASAP.

yogi1771 said:
Got my N8 five days back :) shifted from Iphone(2g).No major problem with restarts or hanging of phone but the O.S is buggy :mad:.
Problems facing so far
1) The backlight doesn't go off after locking the phone,sometimes it works other times have to restart the phone and lock the phone using just the lock button only.If I use the Menu button to unlock the screen I don't get the unlock option on the touch screen,the phone straight away goes to the locked home screen and have to unlock it using the lock button and then even if I lock it using the lock keys or the power button the backlight stays on

2) Even though the contact is saved on the phone(no double listing) it doesn't show up as who is calling only the number is displayed(numbers stored in the telephone option of the contact)

3)The proximity sensor while talking works sometimes other times the screen is active which has led to calls getting disconnected or the hold option is activated.

P.S Tried reinstalling the firmware using ovi suite,still the problem persists.A query should I get a different piece or wait for the new firmware.
I think you need to get your piece replaced... maybe some one sold you a defective piece... The N8 certainly has few problems with the OS but not all that you have mentioned above... and that too in a single piece :(

yogi1771 said:
Problems facing so far

I am using from around 1 month now and no such issues so this is for sure some issue with device and not with firmware and as far as proximity sensor is concern it works better than i phone 4

I bought C7 couple of days back (18.4k)

Shifted from Samsung i450 to this. No issues since I am very comfortable with symbian (have used it for last 5+ years)

Couple of queries -

1. how to format memory card through phone? (No option in File Manager > Mem Card > Options or anywhere else)

2. I have downloaded India maps through Ovi Suite. The download was completed successfully. But I am not able to see the maps on my phone. (I have done this many times before..on 5800, X6, C5 for friends / relatives. So I know the procedure. But in this case its just not working. I have tried downloading twice)

apart from that, initial impressions -

EXCELLENT build quality! handset looks awesome..impressed! looks like a 20k+ phone.

Thanks dhruv for replying my PMs and clarifying my doubts :p

^^ Cheers :)

Regarding maps.. before doing anything else, go and download the new beta version of ovi maps from beta labs. Its so much better than the old version preloaded. NOW download the maps.

And to format--> Long press the memory card icon , you will get the options including format :) Its new symbian , it doesn't require double taps etc...

ohh..long press! yeah..works

regarding maps, i have downloaded the beta version. it looks better than the old one. hope it works out..downloading the maps again.

btw, have u tried n-desk to replace the default menu app? its looks good and is working well. no lag / slowdown. i like it

Not tried it yet , i'm satisfied with using the default... Will give it a shot though...

SPB Shell too works fine though i don't like it much. Handy Shell is also a nice alternative.

i think on phone memory. but it didnt ask me where to save while downloading. and also 1 more thing, whenever i open ovi maps it automatically connects to gprs and some balance is cut from my account. i have kept it in offline mode and also in the app settings, i have kept only integrated GPS ticked.

By default it saves in mass memory , change that in the app.

Also , let it connect to gprs. Once the maps are detected, it will download only about 10kb or so but the GPS Lock will become MUCH MUCH quicker..

Getting a GPRS pack is highly recommended with high end phones ;)

Is there a way to get satellite view in Ovi Maps for India?? Like we can see the ariel view in Google Maps? or is there a way to install Google Maps in N8?

dhruvrock2000 said:
By default it saves in mass memory , change that in the app.

Also , let it connect to gprs. Once the maps are detected, it will download only about 10kb or so but the GPS Lock will become MUCH MUCH quicker..

Getting a GPRS pack is highly recommended with high end phones ;)
Today the maps started working..dont know what was wrong before :huh:

and about GPRS, yeah..I recharged it today..was busy for couple of days. I kept it offline coz if downloaded around 1mb of data yesterday and it cost me 40Rs :mad: idea is so expensive...

Dude... get the Rs 98 Idea internet pack.. you'll really appreciate it. 2GB of data.. once you really start using your phone , Facebook , direct photo uploads , GPS , web surfing.. you'll need the internet pack :D

RVK2488 said:
I kept it offline coz if downloaded around 1mb of data yesterday and it cost me 40Rs :mad: idea is so expensive...
hoooooo
Rs40/MB.... seems like 1998 :p
Today my N8 was also randomly trying to access the internet. dunno why... but I found out that it was the Ovi Maps application. I just restarted my phone and it started behaving normal.....

Visited Ovi Beta Labs. There are only 3-4 applications there in Beta stage.... thats it?? I was expecting a huge gallery of applications :-o
Has anyone found any other site where they have nice N8 apps.... like a 3rd party app store for Symbain 3 devices? Please share... sharing is caring ;-)

Lol.. ipmart-forum ? :p But ofc the legality is questionable.. you'll have to get your certificates first though.

Also... beta labs = beta apps ! The final ones go to the Ovi Store !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

onlyravi said:
Is there a way to get satellite view in Ovi Maps for India?? Like we can see the ariel view in Google Maps? or is there a way to install Google Maps in N8?
You can get Google Maps for the N8 :D

dhruvrock2000 said:
Dude... get the Rs 98 Idea internet pack.. you'll really appreciate it. 2GB of data.. once you really start using your phone , Facebook , direct photo uploads , GPS , web surfing.. you'll need the internet pack :D

by recharge i meant 98 pack :bleh:

already loving it.. used skype and nimbuzz to call friends :D

gravity is awesome...this is how every symbian app should look like! very nice

haven't used pixelpipe yet

installed nokia bots and situations..lets see how useful it is

onlyravi said:
hoooooo

Rs40/MB.... seems like 1998 :p
it was something 4paise per kb..

-----------------------

cool video!

just amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD7eagLl5c4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbzSiwbRfg

RVK2488 said:
Some of the most creative things I have seen which is done with so much hardwork ..... one of my all time favorites now :) Thanks for sharing....
And more proud of the vdo coz I too own a N8 ;-) Glad to know what it can do.... Specially the use for which Nokia developed that device.. for examing blood samples and sharing with experts for opinion....

Back