Nvidia RTX 3XXX Series announced

Amazing. But I don't think I can ever bring myself to buy a "gaming" laptop anymore. The value depreciation is too much in case I want to upgrade and buy a new one. Costs of the components too!
I've always wanted to buy the old THICC Alienware laptop. I was considering to buy that 13" which was being sold here recently but price didn't make sense as I could buy a new Acer one for around the same price.
I still hope to get the THICC Alienware someday.
That's the only downside of it, cost diminishes and upgrading CPU plus GPU is not easy.
Yup, agreed with both points and very valid, but I think gaming laptops make a lot of sense in today's day and age. Plus I'm not too worried about depreciation hit since I intend to keep this for a long time, and need portability (and I count being able to move around the house as portability as well :p)

Plus I've always loved gaming laptops because they are (imo) brilliant little engineering marvels - I never imagined I'd be able to run a 8core16tbread Intel processor in a chassis less than an inch thick without thermal throttling, or get the same performance as my desktop GPU at less than 1/3rd the power!

I hope you're able to buy your thicc gaming laptop one day soon, but I hear that Alienware has really gone down the drain since the last few years. Unless you intend to get one of the older one which actually looked like their namesake!

Last edited:
How much does the Zephyrus with similar specs cost?
I hope you're able to buy your thicc gaming laptop one day soon, but I hear that Alienware has really gone down the drain since the last few years. Unless you intend to get one of the older one which actually looked like their namesake!
I don't like the new slim ones anyway. For me only the old THICC models will always be the true Alienware laptops lol.

I don't think there's any zephyrus model directly comparable to the Helios, but the closest one is the Zephyrus G15 2021 with Ryzen 5800H and 3060, and has a gorgeous Pantone validated 1440p 165Hz display, along with 1TB SSD and a massive 90Wh battery. would have absolutely loved to buy it but 2 things stopped me - it still hasn't officially launched, and it costs 1.38L, a bit too pricey for my liking (still, an amazing value for that price, just that my budget wasn't so big lol). I also wasn't sure of the wattage on the 3060, but I think it'll be 90W at least so still very capable.

The other Zephyrus I saw was the old M15 with a 9750H and 1660ti for around 1.05L - absolutely horrendous value compared to this one.

I don't think there's any zephyrus model directly comparable to the Helios, but the closest one is the Zephyrus G15 2021 with Ryzen 5800H and 3060, and has a gorgeous Pantone validated 1440p 165Hz display, along with 1TB SSD and a massive 90Wh battery. would have absolutely loved to buy it but 2 things stopped me - it still hasn't officially launched, and it costs 1.38L, a bit too pricey for my liking (still, an amazing value for that price, just that my budget wasn't so big lol). I also wasn't sure of the wattage on the 3060, but I think it'll be 90W at least so still very capable.

The other Zephyrus I saw was the old M15 with a 9750H and 1660ti for around 1.05L - absolutely horrendous value compared to this one.
Well the new M16 has launched with intel and pretty much ticks all boxes except the hot air is exhausted right on the screen so expect to have a screen pixel problem soon. That said, all laptops have a "but", as in, this is so amazing 'but' has soldered ram, this is the best laptop ever 'but' has a shit screen/battery etc well you get the picture. They really should give out kits for laptops consumers might assemble laptops the way they assemble PCs, would put in the parts they love instead.

Finally got a non-scalped 3060...in a laptop :p

Acer Predator Helios 300
i7 10870H @ 72W PL2
RTX 3060 100W
16GB 3200MHz Single Channel RAM (runs at 2933MHz)
144hz 1080p 3ms 15.6"
Congrats and How are the temps? I got the same model but old one with i7 9th gen and 2060 but it was pushing 100c while gaming and the fan was just too loud. Luckily for me display had too much bleeding and dead pixels so I got refunded.

Congrats and How are the temps? I got the same model but old one with i7 9th gen and 2060 but it was pushing 100c while gaming and the fan was just too loud. Luckily for me display had too much bleeding and dead pixels so I got refunded.
The temps are pretty fantastic, and I was very surprised really. I played half an hour of rdr2 on turbo mode, and with a - 0.085 mV undervolt on CPU, the temp never went beyond the 85C mark and on 75C on GPU. I was getting over 4Ghz on CPU with power consumption between 35 and 50W, and around 1650Mhz on GPU with 7200Mhz on memory, and power consumption of 95-105W. And these temps were in a non-A/C room, with an ambient temp of over 25C I think.

Stock PL1 power limit is 72W, and PL2 is 107W, and the cooler is very capable of handling both tbh, though I reduced them to 65W and 95W respectively.

Overall I'd highly recommend. The build is pretty good as well, and the screen in fantastic too (a bit of bleed on the bottom right corner, but it's quite tolerable unless I push brightness to max in a dark room - unrealistic scenario). Battery life not too bad - got 4hrs of use from 80% to 20%, which included 2.5hrs of 10bit x265 movie and rest web browsing, at 30% brightness.

Last edited:
The temps are pretty fantastic, and I was very surprised really. I played half an hour of rdr2 on turbo mode, and with a - 0.085 mV undervolt on CPU, the temp never went beyond the 85C mark and on 75C on GPU. I was getting over 4Ghz on CPU with power consumption between 35 and 50W, and around 1650Mhz on GPU with 7200Mhz on memory, and power consumption of 95-105W. And these temps were in a non-A/C room, with an ambient temp of over 25C I think.

Stock PL1 power limit is 72W, and PL2 is 107W, and the cooler is very capable of handling both tbh, though I reduced them to 65W and 95W respectively.

Overall I'd highly recommend. The build is pretty good as well, and the screen in fantastic too (a bit of bleed on the bottom right corner, but it's quite tolerable unless I push brightness to max in a dark room - unrealistic scenario). Battery life not too bad - got 4hrs of use from 80% to 20%, which included 2.5hrs of 10bit x265 movie and rest web browsing, at 30% brightness.
Little light bleed is normal, glad to see they improved on the cooling. Happy gaming.

Laptops? Yes. GPUs for desktops not much, primarily people may go for anything under 25000 for now on used forums.
Laptops particularly the Acer one priced around 89k with 3060 is steal deal now. I was talking about Desktop. I see we are not getting regular stocks at RP, very sad.

Laptops particularly the Acer one priced around 89k with 3060 is steal deal now. I was talking about Desktop. I see we are not getting regular stocks at RP, very sad.
Nitro 5? Yeah thats not a good one, but helios pretty good, same thing if youre able to get an omen and/or legion 5 or somehow you get something from US and dont short it out (power requirements in India are different from that in US unless you use a converter you can short out your system)

What's wrong with Nitro 5 exactly? notebookcheck gave it a good review so I thought it would be legit. I don't remember the exact model though.

What's wrong with Nitro 5 exactly? notebookcheck gave it a good review so I thought it would be legit. I don't remember the exact model though.
Thermal problems and lots of QC issues. Its like winning a lottery if you get the right laptop.
All 5000 series AMD laptops run extremely hot and theres not way to undervolt them, you can at most remove the boost.

Are 71C and 85C for gpu and cpu respectively high? They are stress tests result btw.
Those are VERY good temperatures for a laptop under stress test. My CPU was at 80C and GPU at 72-75C playing Cyberpunk at all High settings, ultra RTX and DLSS on performance mode. The GPU was at 65-90% of use with power at 80W-100W, and CPU at 60-85% load and power at 35-55W.
The Nitro in this test likely has much better battery life than my Intel, though I think it'll have slightly lesser performance as the 10870H which can do all core 4ghz thanks to a -190mV undervolt on core and -87mV on cache. (3.2ghz all core on stock).
Do keep in mind that it the 1650Ti is a 50W GPU, while my RTX 3060 is a 100W one. But I would still these are excellent temps because my Nitro 7 2019 would throttle on both cpu and GPU within 10mins of any game, forget stress tests.
Just to be clear, my Nitro 7 has a i7 9750H and 50W GTX 1650

Last edited:
Back