OLX deal screwed up!

Emails are very much admissible as proof of communication in courts. Not all transaction are sealed by using a stamp paper. When you buy something from a store like Flipkart and pay in advance, do they send you a receipt on e-stamp paper?

The OP should approach the police and file an FIR of fraud against the other person only if he can provide written proof of the deal. Just stating that you struck a deal on the phone and sent the money to his account would only get you laughed at and nothing else. If the OP does not have any written proof of the deal, write-off the amount as a paid lesson in how not be stupid and move on. No offense intended.

The seller seems like a seasoned fraudster and he obviously has done this kind of thing before. Unless you have good connections, there is very little you can do.

They send u an invoice on company letter head with their address. And vat/CST tin number. That's enough.

Emails aren't proof enough. Hell this happened with me, with a person staying 10 minutes away and I wasent able to recover squat.

I was just stating that Emails are very well admissible as evidence. I don't know the specifics of your particular case but I know for a fact they are admissible.

Yes if you have PO or an invoice to support it your case becomes stronger but even if you have just an email, especially in an informal transaction, that can be admitted as proof that the other party agreed to the terms and conditions of a particular deal. Whether you win the case or not would depend on how detailed your email conversation was but that is another story all together.

Although it may not be enforceable in a court of law (depending on the exact conversation that took place) but still this is a case of misinterpretation and cheating. There is not much you can do here since you don't even have his address so fighting a case won't be worth the money here.

Try complaining to cyber crime squad and ask for necessary directions. I do remember reading about their effectiveness on a forum. If you can find some one who can pull out his address and his real name using his bank account, that might help you. You could also try getting his address and his real name, if you have any contact in aircel .

Sending a legal notice should help but you need his address for that.

Even if he were to send a legal notice, it would be treated as a civil matter. To make it a criminal matter, a complaint has to be registered with the relevant enforcement authority which is the police or the cyber crime cell. They in turn would ask for proof. He has even taken down the ad on OLX which shows that he is a seasoned player and is not leaving any traces of the deal.

The OP can definitely try and get a complaint registered but with such little information and for such a small amount(not for the OP but for the authorities per se) I doubt if much effort would be undertaken given how the system works here anyway. The best chance is that the seller gets scared by the police and refunds/ships but it seems highly unlikely.

Or maybe the package can just turn up one fine day and we discover the guy was just being lazy about shipping it, who knows.

Without proofs, the case becomes weaker and questionable. Nonetheless, police will help you. There are several cases where a person is cheated on the roadside, with no credible story whatsoever and the police still lodging FIRs. OP has at least some bank transaction details and phone records. It's possible that this person works for a gang and the local police may have more such cases against him.

But in any case, refrain from posting random people's names/details here. Exchange such information thru PMs. It'll be very troublesome for an innocent person's name to be wrongly mentioned in this thread.

Back