Personal Video player, 4.3" to 5" screen size, what are the options ? EDIT: Bought: Nexus 7 2012

Tomorrow i am going to have a look at the nexus 7, one guy in my office is gonna bring. Will decide after that whether tablet is still considered or not.

There is another model of ASUS MeMO tab available locally with manufacturer warranty. Also quite near to your actual budget of 5k
ebay link
<http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121208752061#ht_2311wt_1139> -Rs 5565

also available on flipkart and amazon.in with little higher price.
Though viewing angles are mentioned as not that good but this can be +ve point for your requirement :)
Has some mixed reviews so not sure how will be its performance for video playback.

@maxms

Yes I am aware about that. I did check but it does not seem to be a very good option. Anyways tomorrow I shall check the nexus 7 in office (hopefully) and hold in hand and get a "feel" of watching video on them to know how it works for me.
I am still on the fence of tablet, today while traveling back I imagined myself using tablet and felt really weird even when I did not actually have a tablet with me.

Tegra Note?

I had never even heard about this tablet until you mentioned it here. Seems like a new launch and still not full available. Not yet tried and tested. But looks very promising for the price.
If it becomes available by November end, there is a chance I may be able to get one through someone I know may be coming from US in December end.

There is another model of ASUS MeMO tab available locally with manufacturer warranty. Also quite near to your actual budget of 5k
ebay link
<http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121208752061#ht_2311wt_1139> -Rs 5565

also available on flipkart and amazon.in with little higher price.
Though viewing angles are mentioned as not that good but this can be +ve point for your requirement :)
Has some mixed reviews so not sure how will be its performance for video playback.
This model is like Tab2 from samsung.[DOUBLEPOST=1384313042][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tegra Note?
I think the local partners like Xolo would be releasing such tablets, with the reference design being that of Tegra Note.
I felt Tegra Note was more of a reference design for tablet manufacturers.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tablets/new...o-launch-in-october-at-rs-16999-report-422831

Is the Karbonn A30 any good ? Someone on olx in my city is selling for 5500 Rs. May be he will come to 5000, not sure though. Purchased in April 2013.
It has 5.9" screen.

MTV volt 1000 (not normal MTV volt) seems like a good phone. Anyone has any idea ?[DOUBLEPOST=1384610024][/DOUBLEPOST]Seems this volt and all are just crappy devices. Loved the Galaxy Mega 6.3 when i saw it at croma yesterday. Pretty big screen and looks really good. Price is a concern.

Last edited:
I read read and read a lot on that very phone. Had finalized it almost yesterday night. But got to know it is a chinese rebrand. The original chinese one is Star N9776 and although at many places you see good reviews, at the end of the day, it is a crappy chinese clone. The quality is bad. The price is definitely enticing but the deal breakers for me were..

1. Pretty Low resolution for the size.
2. Proprietary MicroUSB port (little bit longer) - Our samsung and such microusb cables will NOT FIT. This is stupid.
3. Proprietary headphone jack - Although it is 3.5mm jack and appears as any normal jack but our earphones will not work, only theirs. This is even more absurd.
4. Bluetooth will not work properly - Saw on many reviews that Bluetooth has issues.
5. Although i did not need but still GPS almost does not work.

Anyways i have decided not to go with no name brands to save money and later suffer.

I have ordered Nexus 7 2012 for this purpose as of now. :)

I read read and read a lot on that very phone. Had finalized it almost yesterday night. But got to know it is a chinese rebrand. The original chinese one is Star N9776 and although at many places you see good reviews, at the end of the day, it is a crappy chinese clone. The quality is bad. The price is definitely enticing but the deal breakers for me were..

1. Pretty Low resolution for the size.
2. Proprietary MicroUSB port (little bit longer) - Our samsung and such microusb cables will NOT FIT. This is stupid.
3. Proprietary headphone jack - Although it is 3.5mm jack and appears as any normal jack but our earphones will not work, only theirs. This is even more absurd.
4. Bluetooth will not work properly - Saw on many reviews that Bluetooth has issues.
5. Although i did not need but still GPS almost does not work.

Anyways i have decided not to go with no name brands to save money and later suffer.

I have ordered Nexus 7 2012 for this purpose as of now. :)
The only problem i see with N7 is the size when you watch it in the Bus. That too if any nudity pops up. :)

I will change the way I watch the videos, as in will keep the bag down and keep the tab in lap and watch. About nudity I will ensure that I take care when I watch any tv series which I know contains nudity.
Personally even i am thinking of getting a N7, but for reading e-Books.
Somehow I am not sure, how much of a difference it would make over my Tab2 for reading.
I feel it should be slightly different.
What do you feel?

Somehow I am not sure, how much of a difference it would make over my Tab2 for reading.
What do you feel?
Nexus 7 will make a difference. You can compare the 2 and the text on Nexus 7 is sharper and hence easy on the eyes as opposed to somewhat blurry text on Tab 2. If you can borrow a friend's Nexus 7 for a day or 2 and compare it with Tab 2, u can feel the difference.

What do you feel?

am in the same boat, except that i have one more oar in hand like raksrules, ie, apart from reading ebooks, i want to utilise it for watching videos. but i can't spend much, otherwise would've got the N7.
checked flipkart. there are umpteen models in the 5k/sub-5k range. totally confused now. seems i will have to go for a used one itself. 9"/10" (used) would be too good in my budget, but perhaps, too good to be true.

@Kilroyquasar

I understand you are on budget but believe me, i would say buy a device once and then don't think about "upgrading" for a long time if you don't really need the "upgrade".
Do not buy no name brands or Indian "chinese" brands as they will have one or the other issue, quality control issues, may be bad screen resolution and all.
In tabs i was also thinking about sub 6K ones and all but quality is always questionable.
As i mentioned i had finalized on that Byond Phablet III for around 6.5K (after coupon) from ebay.in but when i read more about it, realized it is a piece of junk.
May be go and read my thread in GT, Mehenga Roye ek baar, sasta roye baar baar :p

Back