PlayStation 4 - News, Rumors & Speculations

The leaked specifications of the PlayStation 4/Orbis are making rounds on the Internet. Here’s why I say it’s all Crap.
Specifications at a glance (click for source)

• AMD Fusion APU – Codenamed ‘Liverpool’
  • AMD x86 Quad Core at 3.2 GHz
  • ATI r10xx (3rd generation) GFLOPS at 800 MHz and 1843 – Codename “Tahiti”
  • Unified 2GB of memory (still uncertain, this can be 4GB)
  • Blu-ray
  • HDMI 1.4 – 1080p output
  • 320GB + HDD
  • 16GB Flash Memory
1. x86 CPU and GPU Package

• The CPU in question is said to be an AMD Fusion (probably quad-core) based on the “Steamroller” cores set to launch in 2013. The problem is, 4 cores would not only be too less, it would be insanely weak against the rumoured (and probably more authentic) 16 Core PowerPC CPU that XBox 720/Durango will hold.
  • The entire board seems to be x86. The CPU, GPU all desktop grade (not even mobile, to save power). If that is the case, why not simply build a PC in a case and sell it as the Playstation 4?
  • Even if it were a quad-core, that too based on AMD’s Steamroller ala Bulldozer enhanced cores, there is serious doubt that it would be clocked at a lowly 3.2GHz. Taking into consideration a 2014 release, we can hope for a 22nm or 20nm manufacturing process. We also know that Bulldozer cores are weak at lower frequencies (they were built to perform by operating at higher frequencies after all), so 3.2GHz on that architecture, with just 4 cores would just be another word for “FLOP”.
  • I don’t see a world where the successor to the mighty and powerful Playstation 3 (with the octa-core Cell processor) would have a weaker processor inside it’s successor, that too nearly after a decade.

READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE HERE: The Leaked PS4 Specifications are Bull$h!T

1) Using a simplified design makes more sense. It reduces bottlenecks , increase efficiency and reduce additional cost of addition third party hardware.
2) The Fusion APU from 28nm will be bring some serious grunt both in CPU/ GPU and in compute performance (which really matter for visual devices such as PS4)
3) Well they will be fine tuning and making custom chip solutions to make it stand out when compared to plain x86 based pc.
4) Bulldozer ! = Steamroller , though it is based on the same shared concept. Steamroller will feature a complete remake so it will have much better IPC and works well with low clock speed.(Quoting AMD CTO words)
5) Its not about being powerful, what about having 8-16 cores if you cannot utilize it , plus when developers cant even utilize 4 cores whats the matter of shipping with 16 core. Add to that (if the specs aretrue) the compute power/ope cl/gl will seriously help developers draw game and utilize the system to its full potential.

Other than that take everything with a bag of salt :p

plus when developers cant even utilize 4 cores

Take your words with a grain of salt actually. This used to be true a few years back.

Max Payne 3 Graphics and CPU Performance Tested, DirectX 11 Showcased > CPU Performance - TechSpot Reviews

2) The Fusion APU from 28nm will be bring some serious grunt both in CPU/ GPU and in compute performance (which really matter for visual devices such as PS4)

And what do you think a 4 Core, possibly 4 module (keeping in mind the architecture behind these CPUs, might have just been a misspell, then it might be an 8 core, more likely again) + a Tahiti class GPU would consume in terms of die size?

Keeping in mind Tahiti is ALREADY 28nm.

Thought so.

Sony learnt from it's past mistakes. There is no room for 600$ consoles again (if you read the entire article). Doubt they would do that.

Well, hopefully next year's E3 clears up all this. It's getting too long already. Like Half Life 2 and the series never ending.

Maybe we should start a kickstarter for Half Life 3 :p

Sony learnt from it's past mistakes. There is no room for 600$ consoles again (if you read the entire article). Doubt they would do that

Really have my doubts there. They have already been quoted saying that they are going to put the best console out there. Launching 1st or last does not matter. It could be a diplomatic answer, too.

Source IGN podacsts: The difference in the number of units sold is not that much, it's about 2 million. Does that mean PS3 has failed? It has sold close to 60 million units worldwide. Keep in mind that Xbox 360 had a 1 year headstart over PS3.

They launched PS Vita at such exorbitant prices, with very few announcements at E3. They are still investing in Move Titles which is an abject failure compared to Kinect. I don't see any signs that the next gen console will be cheaper. Same price (atleast $500) , backwards compatible, more crossplay. Because you know what? People will still flock to buy a 500USD PS4.

well i read that it will have an 8 cored cpu(jaguar cores) coupled with another "liverpool" APU,and this apu is said to be bigger and more badder than the ones that exist now.that jaguar cpu is divided into 2 modules of 4 cores each and supposedly clocked at 1.6ghz.this does not seem bad,lots of grunt for next gen games.

^^The chip can't be big enough if it is jaguar. A full breathen Jaguar core is around 3.1mm2 i.e. 4core part, 2 of them makes around 6.2mm.

Just for context an Ivy Bridge die (full chip) size is around 160mm. Jaguar "SOC" should be around <30mm2 given it is built using 28nm process.

More than anything, I am wondering what launch titles Sony has in mind when announcing the console. And what would be the Indian pricing for the console. I recall India got a delayed launch for the PS3 and at a price of 40k!

More than anything, I am wondering what launch titles Sony has in mind when announcing the console. And what would be the Indian pricing for the console. I recall India got a delayed launch for the PS3 and at a price of 40k!

40k :O ? Holy michio kaku !

40k :O ? Holy michio kaku !

Jep! An old article I dug up - PS3 Indian Launch Date, Price Revealed

I think someone on the forums bit a deal when it was laucnhed - stormblast I suppose. Don't remember exactly.

But i just got my PS3...:(

Absolutely no worries! The PS3 would continue to get titles for the next few years before PS4 becomes completely mainstream and the devs. begin to seriously focus on the new console. :)

Remember the PS2 was officially discontinued just last month after the debut almost 13 years back! And it continued to receive titles until then (albeit hardware limitations and low IQ forced devs. to launch the more demanding ones on the PS3). For instance, Fifa 13, PES 13 etc. which still found takers on the console.

i remember purchasing mine for 33 k and thinking i got a deal.Looking at the vita prices and given sony's initial pricing strategy, i expect us to pay a 5 k to 10 k premium on the ps4 when it is launched here.
Cant wait!

Never purchased any console on their launch day, EVER. I usually hold out till they have couple of good exclusives in and ironed out the initial hardware issues.

The fact is a console attains its maturity only two years after its release.Some reasons as stated above.Btw i really dont understand this nonsense hype about this next gen.I still think this gen couldn't achieve what ps2 did.It was a super hit console! The current gen consoles are still powerful enough to race through this year too.Yes i agree the textures have started to remind us of its age but then again youth is no guarantee of innovation.

Just read this on VG24/7:

[h=1]PS4 out in 2013, uses Gaikai tech, $400+ – JP reports[/h]PlayStation 4 will launch before the end of 2013, cost at least $400, and feature Gaikai technology as well as expanded social feature, Japanese newspapers have claimed.

The date and price details come from daily newspaper Asahi Shimbun. According to Gematsu‘s translation, the console is expected to cost more than ¥40,000 – $427.

At launch, the base 20GB model PlayStation 3 was priced at just under ¥50,000, or $534, and retailed at $500 in the US. This suggests the PS4 might be cheaper than its precursor if a similar pattern of conversion is used, but the report does say the ¥40,000 figure is the minimum expected price and the yen and dollar are in a very different relationship at present.

The report also mentioned Sony is scurrying to meet expected demand in the US and Japan, with no mention of Europe; the PlayStation 3′s PAL territory release was delayed for several months by hardware shortages. PAL territory pricing on Sony hardware is generally more expensive, even allowing for conversion.

Meanwhile, in a Nikkei report also translated by Gematsu, the console is said to draw on Gaikai’s cloud infrastructure somehow.

For a number of reasons, it’s unlikely that Sony will offer a full games streaming service, but Gaikai could be used to power demos and trials as well as other media content; prior to its acquisition by Sony, it was one of the few companies in the world with a global server farm of the kind which will be needed if gaming ever goes completely digital.

Nikkei further claims that the PS4 will feature expanded network functions, including a social feature allowing users to exchange opinion while playing. It sounds a little like MiiVerse, and matches rumours of a “share” button, but may refer to cross-title chat – a much requested feature.

The paper agreed with Asahi Shimbun that the new console will arrive by the end of the year, and with many past rumours that it will not utilise the PlayStation 3′s Cell architecture.
A PlayStation Meeting has been called for two weeks from now, and the PS4, codenamed Orbis, is expected to show its face at long last.

Source: PS4 out in 2013, uses Gaikai tech, $400+ ? JP reports | VG247

I wonder what kinda backward compatibility Sony will deploy..
If they try another of their s.w based emulation.. it really will be very disappointing. The way they did a houdini on that feature.. a repeat will be dreadful thing. PS3 has such a vast library and really good games with collector's editions and what not.. I dont think many gamers would like to see that collection turn into antiques in a 'flash'.

IGN Discussion - Xbox720 rumors of constant internet connection.

E3 2012, PS3 conference Jack Tretton mentioned 80% of Consoles are online, so if Xbox does this no reason why Sony won't do it either. With price points of $425, they are definitely not making money on H/W sales (or will they?). Thoughts?

I'm not really sure whether this always on DRM would actually work it failed with Ubisoft

Back