Probably got scammed. Need advise on what to do

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
Hi there,
About a month back i got a call from some guy who said he was from an NGO and needed donation for a kid called SAM. They asked me to check their website which is http://l i f e c a r e i n d i a t r u s t.org/. (putting in the spaces just in case they do google searches). The person said that the total donation needed was 40K, and whatever help i could do would be good, and that i will recieve a certificate from them on which i could claim a tax refund too.
I checked the website, found the kids profile, complete with all the medical records and stuff..so thought it must be geniune and donated 5.7K. I asked him to call me how the Kid was doing. Then i never heard from them. No certificate whatsoever.
Even the landline from which i was getting calls was now saying that the number is invalid.
So today i again posted on their website that i wanted to do a donation for another random case, i got a call from some Mr. Sanjay, I did not disclose that i had earlier donated, and pretended that i was coming to delhi and wanted to give the check in person.
He has agreed on person, also he said that I may myself give the check to the family who is staying at a dharmshala near AIIMS

Now I am confused, Is this a scam, how to be sure? second, if this was a scam, what are my options to putting them to justice?

P.S: I did a google search, and opinion of majority is that they are a scam

Definitely scam. Phone numbers just don't vanish if they are genuine organizations.
Don't give any more money to these people no matter how much you want.
Take it as a life lesson and move on.

there has been rise in those scam numbers. most of them , girls who pose as college girls "volunteering" to save a life.

i dont know if they are genuine, but i would surely not donate any money unless , i know the specifics

most of the NGOs are frauds thesedays. we have 1 policeman per 950 ppl while there is 1 NGO per 650 ppl in India... unprecedented. most of them have not submitted any audit reports to the govt. even the ones submitted reports have fraudulent details (masking majority of funds under 'Administration' expenses). I would say most charity NGOs are just modern versions of begging in the name of the child and poor (corporate begging) or do money laundering for politicians or sabotage projects on the behest of foreign orgs/intel agencies. many good meaning ppl who join these NGOs for doing good are just used as 'useful idiots'.

btw my personal opinion is paying income tax is the best charity possible (if you have trust in the government). else if you personally know ppl who are doing good to the society etc donate to them or their NGOs. never ever donate to the major corporate NGOs.

sorry for the rant. my only advise is dont get into trouble individually. cut your losses and move on. if you want to take them to task form a group of ppl.

_

there has been rise in those scam numbers. most of them , girls who pose as college girls "volunteering" to save a life.

i dont know if they are genuine, but i would surely not donate any money unless , i know the specifics
This just happened to me last week. A girl claiming to be recently passed out from DU approached with such plan. I gave them the boot.

Though I have been donating some money to Milaap because it really hits home to something I really believe in - "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime.":
https://milaap.org/

Frankly in some of the lending, I dont really care about money being repaid or IT waive off.

Hi there,
About a month back i got a call from some guy who said he was from an NGO and needed donation for a kid called SAM. They asked me to check their website which is http://l i f e c a r e i n d i a t r u s t.org/. (putting in the spaces just in case they do google searches). The person said that the total donation needed was 40K, and whatever help i could do would be good, and that i will recieve a certificate from them on which i could claim a tax refund too.
I checked the website, found the kids profile, complete with all the medical records and stuff..so thought it must be genuine and donated 5.7K. I asked him to call me how the Kid was doing. Then i never heard from them. No certificate whatsoever.
Even the landline from which i was getting calls was now saying that the number is invalid.
So today i again posted on their website that i wanted to do a donation for another random case, i got a call from some Mr. Sanjay, I did not disclose that i had earlier donated, and pretended that i was coming to delhi and wanted to give the check in person.
He has agreed on person, also he said that I may myself give the check to the family who is staying at a dharmshala near AIIMS

Now I am confused, Is this a scam, how to be sure? second, if this was a scam, what are my options to putting them to justice?

P.S: I did a google search, and opinion of majority is that they are a scam
Meet him and beat the hell out of him.

These folks have pestered me too, each time I have a girl who is apparently a Management Student / Intern calling from Life Care India trust Delhi, each time she read the same script.

I asked them not to bother me twice, but yet they kept on calling, finally blasted on her, coaxed her on how they are scamming in the name of a serious illness like Cancer, how it might one affect her loved ones & then think of this scam going on.

Never got a call from them :)

Avoid such phony calls. Better donate to a Charity at hospital itself.

These folks have pestered me too, each time I have a girl who is apparently a Management Student / Intern calling from Life Care India trust Delhi, each time she read the same script.
Even I also got call from this same number.

All these are scam artists any number starting with 92xxxx from Delhi area

Life care trust, relief india trust some cancer crap all are scammers.

Last edited:
Hi . I got a call from one Mr. Kumar from 9582992674 and he was asking money for one Nandani.He sent the details of the trust also. It is owned by one Uzair Khan from Delhi. They gave their address as E 55, III rd floor Sec 3 Noida. Most of the so called Volunteers are Bihari's residing in Delhi. It is easiest way to make money. Bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
d
Hi . I got a call from one Mr. Kumar from 9582992674 and he was asking money for one Nandani.He sent the details of the trust also. It is owned by one Uzair Khan from Delhi. They gave their address as E 55, III rd floor Sec 3 Noida. Most of the so called Volunteers are Bihari's residing in Delhi. It is easiest way to make money. Bastards.
Drop a mail to Trai with the details. They can take action.

These type of scams are pretty common in New Delhi area. Its like New Delhi is competing with Nigeria for the title of scam capital of the world with all the NGO scams, call center scams, marriage scams and the like. If the number is from Delhi region, rest assured that it would be a scam in 99% of the cases even if the NGO itself looks authentic and registered. Lots of nasty a**holes in this city.

These are often real registered NGO's that are setup with the sole purpose of making money. Many even issue the tax certificates because they are able to.

They go to hospitals and pay money to get medical records of children from poor families who have already been treated years ago and some times even of children who died. They then use those to get donations from people. The so called volunteers are usually MBA students and graduates without jobs and few other people who are good with this kind of stuff and they do it earn commissions. I regularly keep getting calls from these people claiming to represent one NGO or the other. Its not limited to phone calls either as they also go out in the public with pamphlets containing photos and copies of the medical record and appeal to people for donations.

Some time back, I read about a case where a guy found out from a few acquaintances that some people were handing out pamphlets containing photos of his daughter from several years back when she was treated and were using them to collect donations. When he confronted them, they apparently argued with him in a rude manner and told to get lost and dared him to do his worst. Some of them have associations with the police (by which I mean they buy them out) and so pretty fearless.

In general, I would say not to donate unless you are 100% sure about the genuineness through independent verification.

These are often real registered NGO's that are setup with the sole purpose of making money. Many even issue the tax certificates because they are able to.
I'm actually perplexed at how easily they're able to give out these 80G certificates. Isn't there a way to report this? Surely fraud NGOs handing out tax freebies should be setting off alarm bells in the IT dept?
My dad has been caught in the net of such NGOs, and while I know these people are scamming him, the fact that they very proactively send him 80G certs does not help.

Back