Protein Shakes - Good or Bad?

Any side effects @Party Monger ??And which tastes better banana or strawberry??Judging by its facebook likes,it must be good.
I've only tried the premium chocolate one dont remember the exact name. It tastes decent and you can see its effective from the easing out of the delayed workout pain. Dont expect it to taste like a proper shake or juice or drink. The idea is to deliver the proteins without making you puke. I am very picky, and I am satisfied with it.

Though I have two bags of Soya protien too that are basically like flour and have no idea what to do with it. Drinking it is a pain. I should have taken Adeesh's (owner of VF) word when he said it will taste like eating raw flour. :O

Bumping an old thread. @Kilroyquasar @Party Monger .I didnt find any any reviews for vigourfuel nor is it available at any ecommerce.It really seems value for money for that protein content.This is the first time i am trying those protein shakes and want to gain weight.Those billion different brands are driving me nuts.Please help me out.

i have just used creatine from VF. as quoted in an earlier post, it must be available on ebay. if not yet, try contacting the seller; he is prompt in replying (he has his own website too; don't remember the address). even i have been contemplating buying a protein-supplement from them lately, hence, may buy myself (again, from their ebay-shop itself).

Hey Guys. I am really confused regarding whether or not to choose protein shakes for body workout or not?

Thing is in 2012 i was quite obese and weighed 96-97 kg then i started exercising and running, was on a strict diet and it was on my own (read stuff on the internet) and lost a tremendous amount of weight and when the year 2013 hit summer i had lost around 40 kg of weight and was down to 54 kg.

I lost my muscles also in that process, excessive running i guess.
So now I've started working out again. Past 2 months. Lifting weights and everything. I'm doing it at home only. Bought the equipment's.
Till now i was getting my proteins from egg whites but i guess it didn't suit me well so i was planning to turn to protein shake etc.

Guys I have zero idea regarding protein shakes so it would really help me a lot if you could shed some knowledge on me. Whether or not i should go on to protein shake or not and if yes which one and why?
Will it affect my health?
And I wrote my weight loss thing above to ask whether this will affect me in future in any way?

P.S. - I am 21 years old.
Classic case of "I don't want to be a bodybuilder, just want to loose weight so help me god!" Running works great for fatburn but without strength training all the muscle also goes with it which exactly happened with you. Whey is good. Get some good vfm whey out there. Go for something you can afford regularly. I just bought this one:

http://www.shopclues.com/whey-protein-concentrate.html

This one is good too:

http://www.healthkart.com/sv/dymatize-elite-xt/SP-8442

Have one pre/post/pre bed time whenever suits you. Just don't make it your staple diet.

Last edited:
Classic case of "I don't want to be a bodybuilder, just want to loose weight so help me god!" Running works great for fatburn but without strength training all the muscle also goes with it which exactly happened with you. Whey is good. Get some good vfm whey out there. Go for something you can afford regularly. I just bought this one:

This one is good too:

Have one pre/post/pre bed time whenever suits
That's a protein blend with 21gm protein in what is probably 32gm scoop. And has egg protein too (non veg in case someone is a veggie) Just some of the things to note. The VF one is pure whey. The quantity of protein per 30-32gm (scoop) differs as per the qualities in Vigour Fuel too so check that too.

That's a protein blend with 21gm protein in what is probably 32gm scoop. And has egg protein too (non veg in case someone is a veggie) Just some of the things to note. The VF one is pure whey. The quantity of protein per 30-32gm (scoop) differs as per the qualities in Vigour Fuel too so check that too.
Is it Indian whey or they import stuff?
Thanks.

Last edited:

This one is good too:

Have one pre/post/pre bed time whenever suits
Actually i am a case of highly underweight,unhealthy with lower back/neck pains.I am 21,around 5'6" and weigh around 53kg.I just wanna be healthy.
Vigourfuel seems good.Will try that out.Thanks everyone.

Is it Indian whey or they import stuff?
Thanks.
Its Imported from what I read. They import in bulk and sell directly. So that cuts out the middle men. Its not great to taste, not bad but not like a delicious milkshake kind either. My muscles recovered very quickly and the pain subsided very quickly too.

So even the research done by protein supplement companies have not proven their usefulness over normal food, and we have people wondering about good and bad effects of protein shakes!

So even the research done by protein supplement companies have not proven their usefulness over normal food, and we have people wondering about good and bad effects of protein shakes!
Just like everything else there is a lot of bull crap in supplements as well. Whey and creatine are the few ones that actually work. This statement is the crux of whatever I have read extensively online from reputed sources and I am not responsible for the after effects of it :p
Its Imported from what I read. They import in bulk and sell directly. So that cuts out the middle men. Its not great to taste, not bad but not like a delicious milkshake kind either. My muscles recovered very quickly and the pain subsided very quickly too.
Yeah I know its like importing "OEM" Whey and repacking/selling it here. Just like some import Davisco and sell in smaller bags. Davisco is well known :

http://www.daviscofoods.com/

I hope their Bipro whey becomes available in India soon. This is one thing one can have forever.

One guy will ship 1 KG of it for Rs. 950 and offered a flavoured version too which kinda left me confused and suspicious because Davisco doesn't make flavoured whey. Although they mix flavors in raw whey it is hard to say what they mix and how much will be genuine whey out of it. I have one scoop half water half milk (skimmed or whatever) and add a teaspoon of roohafza. I don't care much about flavor just like you.

Last edited:
Just like everything else there is a lot of bull crap in supplements as well. Whey and creatine are the few ones that actually work. This statement is the crux of whatever I have read extensively online from reputed sources and I am not responsible for the after effects of it :p

Yeah I know its like importing "OEM" Whey and repacking/selling it here. Just like some import Davisco and sell in smaller bags. Davisco is well known :

http://www.daviscofoods.com/

I hope their Bipro whey becomes available in India soon. This is one thing one can have forever.

One guy will ship 1 KG of it for Rs. 950 and offered a flavoured version too which kinda left me confused and suspicious because Davisco doesn't make flavoured whey. Although they mix flavors in raw whey it is hard to say what they mix and how much will be genuine whey out of it. I have one scoop half water half milk (skimmed or whatever) and add a teaspoon of roohafza. I don't care much about flavor just like you.
I am not very sure of Indian resellers that repackage. The amount of crap they put in normal food stuff to earn a greater profit puts me off from buying anything that is not already been tested by others. VF is already pretty value for money, so i don't go out looking for others. But yeah, if you try something and like it, would love to try something new.

I am not very sure of Indian resellers that repackage. The amount of crap they put in normal food stuff to earn a greater profit puts me off from buying anything that is not already been tested by others. VF is already pretty value for money, so i don't go out looking for others. But yeah, if you try something and like it, would love to try something new.
What exactly did you buy from VF?

I need your advice guys..!
I'm 25 year old weighing only 52KG(Know its underweight :( ).. slim..i am jus now started basic workouts like pushups,pullsups and not going for gym..like to put some weight whether i should go for any body weight gainer?
Right now i'm not thinking to go for gym..because doing these workouts in a routine and i liked it...i can feel the change..so any advice for me guys?

It's always better to go for whole foods instead. But if you are really short of time and there is no way for you to cook chicken everyday then I'd suggest a protein shake. Else its better to go for whole foods (Chicken Breast ) . if money is not an issue for you you can use both whole foods and protein shakes . Protein will def help you grow more muscle . Body weight x 1.2 - 1.5 should be enough protein to consume.

for eg: Good protein shakes cost like around 4000 Rs or more for 60 servings . If you take 2 scoops per day you get 40 gm of protein and will last you a month. Chicken breast(I get mine from Nilgiris) is like 100 bucks for 300 gm which would give you close to 60 - 80 gm's of protein per day. and will cost you only 3000 Bucks per month. So in this way Whole foods are way better than protein shakes.

Also do not waste money on any other supplements other than protein shakes.
That's true but something called bioavailibility makes proteins from Whey superior. As a rule proteins is best when taken from different sources. 1 gram per kg of bw is enough. Daily protein intake (suggested) is hyped by supplement companies. Target 80/120 grams per day. Have a shake post workout. Have whole eggs. Exact same thing happened with a friend of mine. He was 100 kgs plus, ran for months, got lean lost muscles too and became skinny fat. Bodyweight exercises are 100 times better than joining commercial gym (in the long run) and consistency is key in getting results which you can sustain only with consistent exercise. I have just started again, never to quit now.

I need your advice guys..!
I'm 25 year old weighing only 52KG(Know its underweight :( ).. slim..i am jus now started basic workouts like pushups,pullsups and not going for gym..like to put some weight whether i should go for any body weight gainer?
Right now i'm not thinking to go for gym..because doing these workouts in a routine and i liked it...i can feel the change..so any advice for me guys?
Have more milk. Don't waste money on weight gainers. Try to get strong in all exercises.

Have more milk. Don't waste money on weight gainers. Try to get strong in all exercises.

Thanks for the advice buddy ! Yea having Milk and like i said i need consistent strength not becoming too fat or too lean that's all..if there is any recommended supplement for body weight gain to add better support to this kind of workouts,kindly lemme know !

Cheers :)

Back