Protein Shakes - Good or Bad?

Thanks for the advice buddy ! Yea having Milk and like i said i need consistent strength not becoming too fat or too lean that's all..if there is any recommended supplement for body weight gain to add better support to this kind of workouts,kindly lemme know !

Cheers :)
Remember one thing.
Any thing that is marketed always has some vested interest by someone who is marketing it.

1. Do you know that all the protein/mass-gainer companies ONLY market, and do not produce the stuff? This is exactly like any other FMCG product out in the market. Horlicks/Bournvita/Boost/Complan - seriously do you believe the advertisements which basically proclaim that all adults today are idiots (since these "health drinks" were not so prevalent during their childhood)

2. Do you know that there has been not a single study which concludes categorically that whey protein (or any other powder stuff) actually leads to better result compared to any other protein (like eating eggs/meat/legumes/rice)

3. Anyone who feels that only after drinking whey etc they have put on muscles and are able to lift higher weights are only kidding themselves. Placebo perhaps. Or they were helping themselves with "supplements" LOL. Supplements like testosterone, dianabol, nilevar, winstrol, trenbolone, decadurabolin/nandralone, etc increase the rate of protein synthesis in the body, and hence your body can actually utilize 100-500 g of daily protein intake.

3. Can you tell me your height? Weight by itself means nothing to describe the state of being overweight or thin like a stick.

4. How much muscle would you put on? Lets say 20kg. (This is nearly the genetic limit for a natural guy). This gain will be possible over not less than 5 years. Which means 4 kg gain per year. Which means roughly 10 gram muscle gain per day!. Now a muscle is about 20% proteins and rest is glycogen/water/others. THEREFORE we are looking at 2 grams of dried muscle gain per day. THIS should be your incremental protein intake OVER your normal diet. Do you realize how puny this figure is?

5. The only issue with the above is that you should be in a caloric excess otherwise whatever proteins that you consume start being used as a fuel by your body instead of being used to pack on muscles.Therefore you will need to increase the intake of carbohydrates. You shouldn't care about counting calories because it is a highly stupid exercise. Besides everyone has different metabolic rate so in any case you will never know how many calories you require. A simple direction is that if you are NOT gaining weight per month - your have to increase carbs till the scale starts moving up. Carbs = rice, wheat, potato, veggies, fruits

6. Mass gainers are nothing but protein powder mixed with starch/sugars in about 20-80 ratio. Good morning everyone, do you know what is the macro-nutrient content of rice/wheat/legumes/pulses? Protein 10-20%. Carbohydrates ~85%. Isn't it mighty stupid to buy mass gainer powder when you can easily eat one more cup of rice instead?

7. Whether the mas being gained is fat or a mix of fat and muscles? Simple: keep a tab on your waist. Again if you tell the height, I can tell you the waist figure you should not exceed.

8. Now the gym part. I am sure you can stay out of gym and lifting weights for the time being. Pushups, pullups, squats, crunches, shoulder rotations (arms extended), heel raise etc can be done without any external weights. Do concentrate on increasing your reps (strict and with pause) over time in each exercise. Aim to reach figures like 100 pushups , 50 pullups, 200 squats etc.

Last edited:
Remember one thing.
Any thing that is marketed always has some vested interest by someone who is marketing it.

1. Do you know that all the protein/mass-gainer companies ONLY market, and do not produce the stuff? This is exactly like any other FMCG product out in the market. Horlicks/Bournvita/Boost/Complan - seriously do you believe the advertisements which basically proclaim that all adults today are idiots (since these "health drinks" were not so prevalent during their childhood)

2. Do you know that there has been not a single study which concludes categorically that whey protein (or any other powder stuff) actually leads to better result compared to any other protein (like eating eggs/meat/legumes/rice)

3. Anyone who feels that only after drinking whey etc they have put on muscles and are able to lift higher weights are only kidding themselves. Placebo perhaps. Or they were helping themselves with "supplements" LOL. Supplements like testosterone, dianabol, nilevar, winstrol, trenbolone, decadurabolin/nandralone, etc increase the rate of protein synthesis in the body, and hence your body can actually utilize 100-500 g of daily protein intake.

3. Can you tell me your height? Weight by itself means nothing to describe the state of being overweight or thin like a stick.

4. How much muscle would you put on? Lets say 20kg. (This is nearly the genetic limit for a natural guy). This gain will be possible over not less than 5 years. Which means 4 kg gain per year. Which means roughly 10 gram muscle gain per day!. Now a muscle is about 20% proteins and rest is glycogen/water/others. THEREFORE we are looking at 2 grams of dried muscle gain per day. THIS should be your incremental protein intake OVER your normal diet. Do you realize how puny this figure is?

5. The only issue with the above is that you should be in a caloric excess otherwise whatever proteins that you consume start being used as a fuel by your body instead of being used to pack on muscles.Therefore you will need to increase the intake of carbohydrates. You shouldn't care about counting calories because it is a highly stupid exercise. Besides everyone has different metabolic rate so in any case you will never know how many calories you require. A simple direction is that if you are NOT gaining weight per month - your have to increase carbs till the scale starts moving up. Carbs = rice, wheat, potato, veggies, fruits

6. Mass gainers are nothing but protein powder mixed with starch/sugars in about 20-80 ratio. Good morning everyone, do you know what is the macro-nutrient content of rice/wheat/legumes/pulses? Protein 10-20%. Carbohydrates ~85%. Isn't it mighty stupid to buy mass gainer powder when you can easily eat one more cup of rice instead?

7. Whether the mas being gained is fat or a mix of fat and muscles? Simple: keep a tab on your waist. Again if you tell the height, I can tell you the waist figure you should not exceed.

8. Now the gym part. I am sure you can stay out of gym and lifting weights for the time being. Pushups, pullups, squats, crunches, shoulder rotations (arms extended), heel raise etc can be done without any external weights. Do concentrate on increasing your reps (strict and with pause) over time in each exercise. Aim to reach figures like 100 pushups , 50 pullups, 200 squats etc.

Thats something great info..Thanks buddy! :)
My height is 163CM !

Thats something great info..Thanks buddy! :)
My height is 163CM !
163 cm = 5'4"

Going by the usual BMI stuff => You need to be about 66 kg to have a BMI of 25 which is supposed to be borderline of normal weight. (Anything more than this and the docs will start proclaiming you overweight)

However, I believe that the weight depends not on the square of height but on the cube of height. (Remember we are all 3 dimensional creatures!)
So there is another "formula" which I am not able to recall exactly. Let me search for it.

Another reference we can take: http://irongangsta.blogspot.in/2013/12/how-to-spot-fake-natural-bodybuilder.html
5'4" = 3" below 147 lb = 147 - 3*7 = 126 lb = 57 kg at 5% body fat (looking like a bodybuilder on stage).
A normal person would be more like 10-15% bodyfat. Therefore weight at these fat levels = 63 kg

Now based on bodybuilding ideals waist should be about 45% of your height. (Remember waist measure is one thing that is not much affected by whether you take steroids or not). For you this means 29". Of course this is also at very low fat levels, so a normal guy would have about 30".
31" is your limit, don't exceed it ever, otherwise you will start looking "out of shape".

163 cm = 5'4"

Going by the usual BMI stuff => You need to be about 66 kg to have a BMI of 25 which is supposed to be borderline of normal weight. (Anything more than this and the docs will start proclaiming you overweight)

However, I believe that the weight depends not on the square of height but on the cube of height. (Remember we are all 3 dimensional creatures!)
So there is another "formula" which I am not able to recall exactly. Let me search for it.

Another reference we can take: http://irongangsta.blogspot.in/2013/12/how-to-spot-fake-natural-bodybuilder.html
5'4" = 3" below 147 lb = 147 - 3*7 = 126 lb = 57 kg at 5% body fat (looking like a bodybuilder on stage).
A normal person would be more like 10-15% bodyfat. Therefore weight at these fat levels = 63 kg

Now based on bodybuilding ideals waist should be about 45% of your height. (Remember waist measure is one thing that is not much affected by whether you take steroids or not). For you this means 29". Of course this is also at very low fat levels, so a normal guy would have about 30".
31" is your limit, don't exceed it ever, otherwise you will start looking "out of shape".

I like your Maths..!:D

Dont go for waist's smaller than 30. It looks funny, everything fits funny, especially the thighs and your back side.
I am not sure if your post was because of what I wrote about waist, but this guy surely didn't look funny anytime even though he was more than 6' tall:
steeve-reeves.jpg

I used to gym a lot until some 3 years ago and I only used to take ON - whey protein.

Now, its a freaking luxury to consume.

All said, I am planning to hit the gym again. This time though, I've gained weight to quite an extent and still look bulky, thanks to the years of gymming.

I dont want to get lean, but I do wish to reduce the flab. Will be hitting the gym (a gym with only weights and NO Cardio workout machines) everyday and then do some cardio workouts alongside like skipping, jumping or spot running.

I like to keep it simple and dont go for complex things. It has helped me get a good physic over the years. Will be getting back to the diet I practised some years ago: Good Morning breakfast with a glass full of milk, a proper though less oily meal in the afternoon, light snacks in the eve - biscuits etc and a protein filled dinner: Boiled sprouts, boiled chicken or boiled eggs and a glass of milk.

Would love to hear the review of VF as against ON. Will be going for the protein shakes after a month of regular workout.

Experts: Is there anything more I must do?

I used to gym a lot until some 3 years ago and I only used to take ON - whey protein.

Now, its a freaking luxury to consume.

All said, I am planning to hit the gym again. This time though, I've gained weight to quite an extent and still look bulky, thanks to the years of gymming.

I dont want to get lean, but I do wish to reduce the flab. Will be hitting the gym (a gym with only weights and NO Cardio workout machines) everyday and then do some cardio workouts alongside like skipping, jumping or spot running.

I like to keep it simple and dont go for complex things. It has helped me get a good physic over the years. Will be getting back to the diet I practised some years ago: Good Morning breakfast with a glass full of milk, a proper though less oily meal in the afternoon, light snacks in the eve - biscuits etc and a protein filled dinner: Boiled sprouts, boiled chicken or boiled eggs and a glass of milk.

Would love to hear the review of VF as against ON. Will be going for the protein shakes after a month of regular workout.

Experts: Is there anything more I must do?
It costs three times less. Protein is probably the same, its the Taste and flavors that are better in ON. VF tastes okay, but nothing stellar.

It costs three times less. Protein is probably the same, its the Taste and flavors that are better in ON. VF tastes okay, but nothing stellar.
Thanks for the reply bro. Will consider it for sure. :)

All in all, it's pretty simple to grow or get lean. The hard part is to grow and lose fats at the same time. Takes a lot of patience.

That's true but something called bioavailibility makes proteins from Whey superior. As a rule proteins is best when taken from different sources. 1 gram per kg of bw is enough. Daily protein intake (suggested) is hyped by supplement companies. Target 80/120 grams per day. Have a shake post workout. Have whole eggs. Exact same thing happened with a friend of mine. He was 100 kgs plus, ran for months, got lean lost muscles too and became skinny fat. Bodyweight exercises are 100 times better than joining commercial gym (in the long run) and consistency is key in getting results which you can sustain only with consistent exercise. I have just started again, never to quit now.

I agree that taking protein from different protein sources is good. But given the choice bettw. chicken or Whey. Whole food is more cheaper protein/gm and more effective. I know protein intake is hyped. 2 pounds of protein per pound of body weight is very reasonable. Of course given the fact you are very serious in training , you will benefit from this. below 100 is not recommended for a serious trainee.

I need your advice guys..!
I'm 25 year old weighing only 52KG(Know its underweight :( ).. slim..i am jus now started basic workouts like pushups,pullsups and not going for gym..like to put some weight whether i should go for any body weight gainer?
Right now i'm not thinking to go for gym..because doing these workouts in a routine and i liked it...i can feel the change..so any advice for me guys?

Milk / Penut Butter + Whole wheat Bread / Pasta / Chicken / Rice / Chapattis - Eat these every day according to your caloric needs.

Calculate how much your are eating in calories . Sometimes you will feel "FULL' but you would've never hit the caloric needs to put on size. Be consistent and there is no way you wont put on size.[DOUBLEPOST=1413862155][/DOUBLEPOST]
Anone have any experience with Muscle Blaze Whey? Seem to be a few decent deals around.

Never used it before. considering that it's an Indian product i wouldn't be sure on using it. Dymatize or ON are the best out there currently.

Get pretty angry as a net exporter of protiens (actually we need govt susbidies for exports) India needs to import protiens. Indian Soy Protiens are the best and cost of production 50 INR/kg (thats fifty) + Non GMO for sure .... Going to Indore next month will talk to Sonic Biochem guy and try to do a business meanwhile buying from Indian repackers.

Hey Guys. I am really confused regarding whether or not to choose protein shakes for body workout or not?

Thing is in 2012 i was quite obese and weighed 96-97 kg then i started exercising and running, was on a strict diet and it was on my own (read stuff on the internet) and lost a tremendous amount of weight and when the year 2013 hit summer i had lost around 40 kg of weight and was down to 54 kg.

I lost my muscles also in that process, excessive running i guess.
So now I've started working out again. Past 2 months. Lifting weights and everything. I'm doing it at home only. Bought the equipment's.
Till now i was getting my proteins from egg whites but i guess it didn't suit me well so i was planning to turn to protein shake etc.

Guys I have zero idea regarding protein shakes so it would really help me a lot if you could shed some knowledge on me. Whether or not i should go on to protein shake or not and if yes which one and why?
Will it affect my health?
And I wrote my weight loss thing above to ask whether this will affect me in future in any way?

P.S. - I am 21 years old.
I think it is better to do without protein shakes. It is better to eat more natural protein, eat more meat, fish, and all those products that a lot of protein :);)

Back