Prototype - Discussion Thread

Re: Prototype

Got to play this game today. The game play concept is great, but whats with the poor quality graphics. The graphics/textures look so bad even at 1680x1050 2x AA.

Lord Nemesis said:
Got to play this game today. The game play concept is great, but whats with the poor quality graphics. The graphics/textures look so bad even at 1680x1050 2x AA.

i'm not a fan of the graphics but it's really the best you can hope for in a free roaming, open world game. besides, the actual gameplay is a lot of fun so it makes up for the visuals a bit.

spindoctor said:
i'm not a fan of the graphics but it's really the best you can hope for in a free roaming, open world game. besides, the actual gameplay is a lot of fun so it makes up for the visuals a bit.

Not really, there are number of games these days with good visuals even in open world games. Just Cause which is now so old had such great graphics. Check out Saints Row 2, Scarface, God Father 2 which had fairly open worlds and still sported great graphics.

I am enjoying the game very much, but the experience would have been even better and immersive with great graphics.

Aphro_EVO said:
Downloaded GT HD review. It has such washed out textures, will avoid this game.

I would recommend that you give it a try. Despite the lack luster graphics, this game is too cool to pass up like that.

Lord Nemesis said:
Not really, there are number of games these days with good visuals even in open world games. Just Cause which is now so old had such great graphics. Check out Saints Row 2, Scarface, God Father 2 which had fairly open worlds and still sported great graphics.

I am enjoying the game very much, but the experience would have been even better and immersive with great graphics.

+1
I can list down the drawbacks of the game right at the top of my mind, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a fun game and a really solid title, which can only get better as they explore the character more in the sequels.

Putting the game down due to the graphics makes no sense to me, but then again i prefer contra to crysis, so maybe im a little different.

PS: Loving the game, as you can see from my sig. =)

Lord Nemesis said:
Check out Saints Row 2, Scarface, God Father 2 which had fairly open worlds and still sported great graphics.
Seriously?

I would agree about Just Cause, but the rest of the three you mentioned, were hardly anything but "great" in terms of graphics.

Lord Nemesis said:

saints row 2 and godfather 2 do not have great graphics by any stretch of the imagination. not even close.

and for prototype, apart from the scale, performance is a key issue as well. none of the games you mention can have the absolute carnage happening that occurs onscreen in prototype. speed and fluidity are important to the core gameplay of prototype and you just won't get that with much better graphics.

like i said, i would have preferred better graphics and more detail too, but i can totally see why they didn't do it. if nothing else, blame the consoles where they had to get it working as well ;)

I don't know what resolution and settings you guy's played Saints Row 2 and God Father 2, but I found them to be pretty decent in terms of graphics for a open world game. Definitely a lot better than GTA 4 and Prototype

As for performance of Prototype, Its true that there's a lot of stuff going on the screen at all times, but I don't think that its such an issue considering that at 1680 x 1050 and AA enabled, I was getting 90~100FPS on avg and that too, the game was using only one of my 4850's. The guess the game is more CPU intensive than GPU like most of the open world games.

But still, they could at least have provided the option to get better graphics on systems that can really handle all the action with better graphics quality.

Lord Nemesis said:
As for performance of Prototype, Its true that there's a lot of stuff going on the screen at all times, but I don't think that its such an issue considering that at 1680 x 1050 and AA enabled, I was getting 90~100FPS on avg and that too, the game was using only one of my 4850's. The guess the game is more CPU intensive than GPU like most of the open world games.

But still, they could at least have provided the option to get better graphics on systems that can really handle all the action with better graphics quality.

prototype is definitely cpu hungry. your quad clocked to 3.6 makes a huge difference. i'd like it too if they could include better texture work but in the end, it's not a deal breaker when it comes to enjoying the game.

Lord Nemesis said:
I don't know what resolution and settings you guy's played Saints Row 2 and God Father 2, but I found them to be pretty decent in terms of graphics for a open world game. Definitely a lot better than GTA 4 and Prototype

I have played both Saints Row 2 & Godfather 2 @1280x1024 with maxed out details. Tried to play SR2 @1080p at my friend place, but guess what? The game doesn't support 1920x1080 resolution. :p

Anyway, SR2 hardly qualifies into a good graphic category. With all the fancy jazz of graphics options, it still has the look of an old generation title. The character details is lousy, textures are pathetic & it has a complete cartoony look. So no way it even comes close to GTA IV in terms of graphics. Same goes for Godfather 2, albeit Godfather 2 has got tad sharper textures & excellent explosion effects. The only thing which GTA IV lacks is AA, big time.

I guess they sacrificed the graphic detail in PROTOTYPE & compensated it for gameplay & physics. I don't think SR2 or GF2 renders the amount of crowd & vehicle density that PROTOTYPE does. The only open world game which I felt rendered crowd density well with stunning character detail was Assassin's Creed. But I have to agree they could have worked more on the engine & delivered a much more stunning package. ;)

does anyone here face crash to desktop, when u start the game..... the game was working really fine till the hunters mission and after that it just keeps on crashing.....

Nope. Completed the game without a single crash. Why not check out the PROTOTYPE board at Activision forums? They have addressed to some common issues with this game out there.

Awesome game, picked it up yesterday from landmark play it at 16x AF and 4x AA and it runs fine. Though my monitor only seems to support 1024x768...think I should have bought an LCD.....bleh

Truly badass, I'm killing Elizabeth greene atm. Lemme know in case someone wants to exchange games or something, PM me. We can meet around forum or something and exchange. I also have FEAR and RA3.

Hey anyone notice a black key flashing next to the health bar from time to time? What does that mean? Tried googling; no luck.

Key ? That happens when u have consumed a military commander and means you have access to the base. :p You need it for Military Consume missions etc.

I just finished the mission where we have to sabotage Viral Detectors so as to lure McMullen. Just wanna know when do we "learn" to hijack a chopper?

PhOeNiX said:
Key ? That happens when u have consumed a military commander and means you have access to the base. :p You need it for Military Consume missions etc.

Thanks man. Finished the whole game and still had no idea what the heck it was. :D

EDIT: Anyone unlock platinum yet?

Back