PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

jojothedragon said:
@xXx: :O thats why my usb storage device was not working when i was trying to update my ps3 to 2.50 manually.
Errr i think the other usb device support is being blocked in the 3.50 FW and not in 3.42 .... so it should work till your on 3.42 or lower ... and why are you updating it to 3.50 the release is full of bugs as reported in some forums ...

brickhouse said:
sony repair centres have debug consoles
brickhouse said:
they check many things from some games not working to other system issue
Sony service centers don't know jack about PS3. Unless its a very minor problem, they don't even bother checking it. They just keep the console around for a few weeks and then give you a replacement. In any case they don't keep debug consoles. Those consoles are only used by developers and cost a bomb. Sony sells them for like $10k last I heard. Service centers have no use for such consoles. Their main purpose is that they can run unsigned code and hence only useful when you are developing a game.

^Haha true that. Last time I was at a Sony Centre (about a couple of months back IIRC) to demo the new Bravia lineup, I saw the phat PS3 for a demo. I was taken for a shock! I asked them when the slim is here almost since a year, why don't you get rid of the old ones. They were like this model works and apart from the body, there's no difference in both the consoles. Jack asses! I tried to restrict myself from saying anything and took a quick demo and left the place.

OK just a query - my PS3 has run out of warranty yesterday w00t! :D

I was planning to rip it open, do some basic cleaning, remove the stock poop and apply some MX2. Now that I'd have to tamper the 'Warranty Void' sticker, god forbid if the console YLODs on me later, will Sony accept it for a replacement if I were to pay the remaining amount for the slim console? Generally Sony accepts the YLOD'd console which is not under warranty and replaces it with a slim 120GB model provided the user can pay about ~10k INR.

Desecrator said:
I was planning to rip it open, do some basic cleaning, remove the stock poop and apply some MX2. Now that I'd have to tamper the 'Warranty Void' sticker, god forbid if the console YLODs on me later, will Sony accept it for a replacement if I were to pay the remaining amount for the slim console? Generally Sony accepts the YLOD'd console which is not under warranty and replaces it with a slim 120GB model provided the user can pay about ~10k INR.
Why risk it? If & when it dies, you can replace it with the Slim for extra cash.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Why risk it? If & when it dies, you can replace it with the Slim for extra cash.
Makes sense but if I were to tinker around with the console, it might live for some more time. I mean I have seen every other 80GB CECHKxx/Lxx/Mxx model going YLOD after a period of extensive usage. Stormblast's one was the recent culprit I know of. NVM I think I'll wait for it to die peacefully. :ashamed:

I'm only saying, because if they are stringent performing checks on physical tampering, then they would probably not engage into any replacement/exchange process, if they learn that the console has been opened up. So even if it's out of warranty, I doubt they would exchange a console which has been opened by the end-user, regardless of the purpose. With Sony's replacement policy being so dodgy, it's best not to try anything out of the rule book.

Lord Nemesis said:
Those consoles are only used by developers and cost a bomb. Sony sells them for like $10k last I heard.
It's costly but definitely not $10k ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hackers should die, playing backup is one thing but unlocking trophies :(

Yea true :( ... nw even if i try to sync my legit trophies may be PSN will think it to b a hack ....i mean if one plays on a jailbroken ps3 earns all the trophies and then decides to update the FW and go online ...

Roxtin said:
It's costly but definitely not $10k ;)
actually they do

the basic dev kit is around $2500

there is another another kit that includes references of software making techniques and the basic dev kit for $5000

and the full dev kit with everything is close to $12500

Back