PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

pranaywhiz said:
^ If I update to 3.55 ofw using pendrive, will I still be compelled to download 3.56 to access the patch?
It will keep asking you to update to original firmware if you want to play online.. if you just want to play single player then disable the internet connection and upgrade to 3.55 you would not have any problem.

btw I am thinking of upgrading my HDD..

could someone suggest which HDD should one go for.. I am eyeing on 1TB..

not sure 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.. heard PS3 does not take advantage of 7200 RPM so would rather go for 5400 which might be cheaper..

^ I want to update to 3.55 only to install the move patch for heavy rain. So I need to enter psn anyway, even if I turn off internet while updating.

I think patches can be applied by installing pkg file .. i have a patch in my heavy rain folder ... i didnt apply it ... but it might be the move patch ... its a .pkg file .. just put in usb drive and install

see this >>right click and open image in new tab

patchp.jpg

^Thanks for the help:) but I am too scared to try this as I have read much about the move patch installed on jb console not functioning properly. If I try to use this patch and it doesnt work, then I will be left with an opened disk. Now it is new and sealed:) So I am just going to sell it away. Opened a fs thread just now.

Guys - I finally got my PS3 today which was bought during the black friday sale :). Now I need to clarify a couple of points here.

1. I am on firmware 3.41 which I suppose is good for JB-ing. Now if I connect to my wireless network will my FW be updated to the latest (auto updates turned off in settings)?

2. If I do JB it, will it allow me to play games online. I am specifically looking at fifa 11 and if i do buy the game I would definitely like to play online.

Any other things I should be aware off are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dhrubo said:
Guys - I finally got my PS3 today which was bought during the black friday sale :). Now I need to clarify a couple of points here.
1. I am on firmware 3.41 which I suppose is good for JB-ing. Now if I connect to my wireless network will my FW be updated to the latest (auto updates turned off in settings)?
2. If I do JB it, will it allow me to play games online. I am specifically looking at fifa 11 and if i do buy the game I would definitely like to play online.
1)yep, you have the correct firmware for jb'ing your PS3. You will need a jb dongle though. And no your ps3 won't auto update, when you try to connect to PSN, you'll be asked to update to the latest FW, simple select no and you are safe. If you don't see the "no" option, disconnect the power cable.
2)If you want to be able to play online, you will need to install a CFW. You can go online, but there is a risk of your console being banned by sony. So it is not recommended if you want to play online. JB your ps3 only if you want to play single player games.

1.You will not be automatically updated, but it is better not to be connected to the internet to be on the safer side.

2. No, you cannot play online with jailbreak. Even if you buy the original disk, you need to update your firmware compulsorily to play online.

Dhrubo said:

Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. I guess I will just use my PC for multi player games. :) I have started with GOW trilogy. Heavy rain is something I am looking forward to playing as well. Suggest me some good titles.

gow trilogy , heavy rain , uncharted 1 ,uncharted 2 .. well then mgs4 ... but i really hated it ... so ****ing slow ... couldnt bear it .. :p

Dhrubo said:
Thanks fellas. Much appreciated. I guess I will just use my PC for multi player games. :) I have started with GOW trilogy. Heavy rain is something I am looking forward to playing as well. Suggest me some good titles.
Uncharted Series, GOW Series, vanquish, red dead redemption, etc.

PS:- Next time you rep people, be sure to write something in the text box, or else how can we know why we were repped? :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Scorpy said:
gow trilogy , heavy rain , uncharted 1 ,uncharted 2 .. well then mgs4 ... but i really hated it ... so ****ing slow ... couldnt bear it .. :p
its stealth based, so expect MGS to be slow, but its fun game, if you know how to play.

I know how to play stealth games ... infact I love them like anything .. but mgs4 was well .. .first of all didn't even know the previous story so yea ... I have played all the splinter cell series if you wanna know how well I know stealth games :p . And who can forget riddick .. though not fully stealth what an awesome game !

janes said:
How do i play games from external hdd it says u can not boot split games

Format the external hdd into fat32 format. Make folder "GAMEZ". Copy your BLES folders here. Use a back up manager and play games.

You can't play games with files more than 4 gb using the external hdd. You will need to FTP these games. Use blackbox 1.2 and File Zilla for this.

Back