Queries related to passport

Guys, what are the odds of getting an appointment in Pune PSK? A friend has been trying since a few days but in vain.

What is the best possible way of getting it and what is the best time?

I am not sure why Pune PSK is not open full day for Appointment, online i mean.
For Mumbai PSK, i was given chance to book appointment in morning , afternoon and even evening.

@cyclops13

I hope your friend is not using office PC or something to book. Tell him to use either 3G connected laptop (through smartphone) or home PC so that the IP is different.
Else he wont be able to book where more number of people will try booking from single IP (entire office probably has common gateway and the passport site thinks all requests are coming from single IP so you get the max number error).

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Part Success BUT a new-headache.
Time spent at the Andheri PSK - 10:40am - 4:00 pm
Personnel at Counters
A [TCS team] around 24 counters
B - [sarkari babus] - 5 counters only [of which 2 staff were absent today]
C - [sarkari babus] - 4 counters only
Capacity of Andheri PSK - 160 appointments/day

Daughter's passport application was cleared [the "marriage affidavit" & "minor declaration form on an affidavit" both worked - although a certain official in "B" counter said that there was no need for the latter affidavit ...... so here is another example of "how rules are made on the spot"]. We passed through A in 15 mins then had to wait for almost 1 hour for B & another 3 hours for C !!!
01:30 - 2 pm is lunch hour (which can extend to even 40-45 mins & nothing then happens in B & C counters).

There was an unusual rush from morning itself at the PSK (I learnt that there were more than 110 "direct walk-ins" ..... people from other parts of the State, senior citizens, minors and around 28 Tatkals; Now also add another 75-80 who were rejected applns of the last two days..... so it does get chaotic). The canteen is woefully inadequate to handle such loads - everything is very expensive (snacks only) & by 1:30 all of it was exhausted. Then one had to make do with 'vada-pav' @Rs 25/- :mad:. You CANNOT LEAVE THE PREMISES AT ALL & no eatables are allowed inside.
=========================================================
Wife cleared Counter A & B.
When our Token was called for C - we were referred to APO1's cabin [Assistant Passport Officer] - there we were confronted with the question
"Why did you apply for a 'fresh-passport' for my wife?"
The system had detected an old/expired passport (2004) of my wife's & he showed us all the matching details on his screen - including a picture :nailbiting:. He said a "passport even if expired" is a property of the GOI. I was zapped .... It's entirely my mistake that we did not declare this long expired passport. We now have to pay a fine of Rs 2000/- submit & cancel the old passport.
The APO also showed me a long list of fines charged to different individuals during the day for various other lapses ..... in some cases it was Rs 5000 too!!!
He told us that if your old passport is lost/misplaced then you have to file an FIR & then come back within one year to again revive this case/file [walk-in anytime between 9am-10am, pay the fine & then proceed].
During the day I saw at least 18-25 cases being reported to the APO's cabin !!!

I had wrongly assumed that a 9 year old passport would automatically be declared as "lapsed/invalid" so why bother, moreover it was NEVER used for any travel outside India - besides all details in her old passport were pre-marriage...... I would have had to follow all the sick procedures for name/address change etc via separate affidavits.

So somewhere, after clearing counters A & B ....someone ran a 'check on the system' and the following details matched
- wife's maiden name
- her father's name
- her date of birth
- her picture [first clicked in 1994 on the old passport]
****in blokes have really got smart in India.
I can go on with "harassment arguments" and state, "how come so many underworld dons hold multiple passports [some even more than 30] and so on" .....but that would'nt save my own skin.

Mission Passport is not over as yet. We got back home & found my wife's old passport. We all are quite drained out with this experience. It has turned out to be quite expensive too.
@logistopath; @raksrules; @puns

Update: Part Success BUT a new-headache.
Time spent at the Andheri PSK - 10:40am - 4:00 pm
Personnel at Counters
A [TCS team] around 24 counters
B - [sarkari babus] - 5 counters only [of which 2 staff were absent today]
C - [sarkari babus] - 4 counters only
Capacity of Andheri PSK - 160 appointments/day

Daughter's passport application was cleared [the "marriage affidavit" & "minor declaration form on an affidavit" both worked - although a certain official in "B" counter said that there was no need for the latter affidavit ...... so here is another example of "how rules are made on the spot"]. We passed through A in 15 mins then had to wait for almost 1 hour for B & another 3 hours for C !!!
01:30 - 2 pm is lunch hour (which can extend to even 40-45 mins & nothing then happens in B & C counters).

There was an unusual rush from morning itself at the PSK (I learnt that there were more than 110 "direct walk-ins" ..... people from other parts of the State, senior citizens, minors and around 28 Tatkals; Now also add another 75-80 who were rejected applns of the last two days..... so it does get chaotic). The canteen is woefully inadequate to handle such loads - everything is very expensive (snacks only) & by 1:30 all of it was exhausted. Then one had to make do with 'vada-pav' @Rs 25/- :mad:. You CANNOT LEAVE THE PREMISES AT ALL & no eatables are allowed inside.
=========================================================
Wife cleared Counter A & B.
When our Token was called for C - we were referred to APO1's cabin [Assistant Passport Officer] - there we were confronted with the question
"Why did you apply for a 'fresh-passport' for my wife?"
The system had detected an old/expired passport (2004) of my wife's & he showed us all the matching details on his screen - including a picture :nailbiting:. He said a "passport even if expired" is a property of the GOI. I was zapped .... It's entirely my mistake that we did not declare this long expired passport. We now have to pay a fine of Rs 2000/- submit & cancel the old passport.
The APO also showed me a long list of fines charged to different individuals during the day for various other lapses ..... in some cases it was Rs 5000 too!!!
He told us that if your old passport is lost/misplaced then you have to file an FIR & then come back within one year to again revive this case/file [walk-in anytime between 9am-10am, pay the fine & then proceed].
During the day I saw at least 18-25 cases being reported to the APO's cabin !!!

I had wrongly assumed that a 9 year old passport would automatically be declared as "lapsed/invalid" so why bother, moreover it was NEVER used for any travel outside India - besides all details in her old passport were pre-marriage...... I would have had to follow all the sick procedures for name/address change etc via separate affidavits.

So somewhere, after clearing counters A & B ....someone ran a 'check on the system' and the following details matched
- wife's maiden name
- her father's name
- her date of birth
- her picture [first clicked in 1994 on the old passport]
****in blokes have really got smart in India.
I can go on with "harassment arguments" and state, "how come so many underworld dons hold multiple passports [some even more than 30] and so on" .....but that would'nt save my own skin.

Mission Passport is not over as yet. We got back home & found my wife's old passport. We all are quite drained out with this experience. It has turned out to be quite expensive too.
@logistopath; @raksrules; @puns

I posted something on Page Number 6 of this thread
((Counter number (C) is some times where they cross check all details and they person sitting there are on some higher post and senior levels))

Guys i am trying to fill my application and the reasons for REISSUE i am selecting are

1. Addition of spouse's name due to marriage
2. Appearance (need to get my pic changed)

Since i selected these 2 options, as per the document advisor i need

Old Passport with self attested copies of the first and last page - this is ok
Marriage Certificate - this is also Ok
Recent Photograph: I am concerned about this part. It says..

Document# 8051
Recent photograph (required only in case of DPC/SPC/CSC applications). The photo should be most recent showing the latest appearance. A notarised statement is required in case of request from Sikhs who want to change from turban photo to clean shaven ones or the other way.

Now if i want my picture to be changed on my passport, do i need to take a picture with me or they will take my pic then and there and use that ? What does thr DPC/SPC/CSC application means ? I think i don't fall under any of these. Confused about this part. Rest of the things i am clear on what to take when i go for my application.

Also is it ok to ask the concerned people there whether my new (???) passport will have a new and current issue date or the original 2005 (in my case) issue date ? If yes then where should i ask, A,B or C counter ?

^AFAIK photo is not required! and whatever your doubts, get it clarified in A counter itself... and B&C, just answer for their questions :)

@raksrules Photo is not required, IMO.
DPC - District passport cell
SPC - speed post centre
CSC - citizen service centre[DOUBLEPOST=1372950149][/DOUBLEPOST]@terence_fdes A costly oversight..! :( Now, when do you have to go again??
BTW, the minor declaration affidavit, how did you get it done? Just a print out on plain paper and signed by you and your wife, or something else?

@raksrules Photo is not required, IMO.
DPC - District passport cell
SPC - speed post centre
CSC - citizen service centre[DOUBLEPOST=1372950149][/DOUBLEPOST]@terence_fdes A costly oversight..! :( Now, when do you have to go again??
BTW, the minor declaration affidavit, how did you get it done? Just a print out on plain paper and signed by you and your wife, or something else?

I am trying to finish it off tomorrow itself [we have a walk-in timing 9-10 am valid for the next one year].
Trouble is wifie is too annoyed & pissed off + stressed out :(
I do not think they will allow me to accompany her inside their premises. Till now I managed 'coz of my daughter (a minor), but wifie gets confused with all their querries & loses her cool :bawling: easily...... so I am treading on thin ice as I want to finish off this 'saga' tomorrow itself .... I already lost 4 days of work this week.
The minor declaration (annex F) - one idiot (official) in B mentioned that we do it on an "affidavit" - so we did it & it worked.
(This is necessary if the 'marriage certificate ...govt recognised' does not exist + if both parents do not have a passport)...... some officials in B & C will also accept the same annex F on plain paper..... & some will ask you to get it "stamped/attested by an SEM" -special exec magistrate...... there is NO Clarity at all.

I posted something on Page Number 6 of this thread
((Counter number (C) is some times where they cross check all details and they person sitting there are on some higher post and senior levels))

B <-> C : These officials are all the same [The pattern of A>B>C is a procedure which exists for re-verification of all docs with the originals in B]
My Token no calls for me and my daughter - for B [we were assigned C counter officials & they updated data for B section].... here it was C4 counter in our case
then
My Token no calls for me and my daughter - for C [we were assigned C counter officials & they updated data for C - Granting section].... here it was C3 counter in our case.

So the officials have the same powers, however verification procedures (along with their software vary for each stage, i.e. B & C)

In my wife's case - her B Counter Token had B3 [which we cleared]....... then before proceeding to C it was 'withheld'

My Passport has around 4 more months validity remaining. I fall under the NON ECNR cateogory, yes born outside India and DOB is before mentioned date.

Doc Advisor Recommends

I did check the docs that are required using the Doc Advisor, but fall short of one major "Present Address Proof". To verify that I dont have any valid docs. That is all the cause of my worry

You have to now think of "Affidavits"
Where were you staying in the interim period of your studies ?
(Hostel/relative)
You could then get a letter from the above.
You may also need - letters/documents given by your parents & signed - stating the purpose of your stay in India.
You could produce your college/institute - fee receipts/degree awarded etc.

So an appropriate letter can then be drafted & made into an "Affidavit" ..... have hope (it's not IMPOSSIBLE to find solutions). This will take time & you have only 3 months before your passport expires ........ BUT BELIEVE ME .... IN INDIA .... their are always "exit-options" and loop-holes + multiple affidavit based documents that can solve your problems.

Done. Wife's passport too.... Now for another "dreaded" round - Police Vefification.

Anyone knows how this works - can we speed up the process.

I have checked "online-status" on mumbai police website - http://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in/passportstatus.asp
[Only first 2 lines details are filled up]
and all these are blank
Outward No: .................... Outward Date: ............. NR No...........
Is File Received By SB-II From Passport Office:
Status From Internal Branches:
Is File Send Back To Regional Passport Office:

I belong to the MIDC Police Station [Andheri-East]

EDIT: Found some answers here - http://www.manishsingh.com/tag/passport-police-verification/

Quick update: I have cancelled my appointment for tomorrow. My little kiddo is not well. Am planning to reschedule the appointment for August.

got my passport today after 1 month & 4 days of interview date and 14 days after police verification. really impressed by the speed of process for me for normal application.
the speed post delivery guy was not ready to give it to my relative. Rs 100 and hands it over smiling :facepalm:

Finally :D

Ok... A quick query that needs a very quick answer.. How does the name appear in Indian passports? This is especially with regard to South Indian names, where people do not generally have a surname. Does the passport have only the given name, or is the father's name filled as surname in the passport..?
Looking for an answer soon..

You've to fill what you want... if you dont want to specify surname, then leave it blank and give only given name. But remember missing or empty surname is an issue in long term, especially if you apply visa for some foreign countries(even its must for flight ticket booking as it should match with passport). I did a mistake and suffering now. So dont give empty surname and use father name.

@smnrock Thank you. Point duly noted..[DOUBLEPOST=1374570642][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok.. One more query. My passport application has been already submitted a couple of weeks ago. Is it now possible to edit my application to modify the surname column? How should I proceed now?

Great.. My appointment is not yet fixed. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1374574586][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: Got the appointment for 5th August. :)

Back