Queries related to passport

Great.. My appointment is not yet fixed. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1374574586][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: Got the appointment for 5th August. :)

All da best. You can make (literally ALL the possible changes - even sex :D :eek: at Counter A), so go through everything carefully before they say 'lock kiya jaye'. Hope you also are carrying notarised affidavits (if necessary for any doubtful documents).

I have completed the police verification on 15/07/2013 & those bastids just shifted my papers on 22/07/2013 back to their Central Office where it would be cross-verified (for the 49th time) before they send it back to the PSK for printing.

@terence_fdes Yeah... I will be carrying a notarized affidavit for my wife's proof of address. BTW, is there any validity for notarized documents? I got the affidavit notarized on the 9th of this month, but will be using it for the appointment on 5th only. Will it be accepted, or do I need to get a new one?

Last edited by a moderator:
@terence_fdes Yeah... I will be carrying a notarized affidavit for my wife's proof of address. BTW, is there any validity for notarized documents? I got the affidavit notarized on the 9th of this month, but will be using it for the appointment on 5th only. Will it be accepted, or do I need to get a new one?

It will be valid.

The law does not state any expiry date. However, there are always our 'morons' who will keep insisting on 'latest & fresh' (esp if it's more than 6 months old).
There is no time limit for use of stamp paper. Though you can seek a refund only within 6 months of unuse of paper.

Supreme Court decision ============ ========= Brief: According to a recent Supreme Court judgement dated 19/02/2008 in the case of Thiruvengada Pillai Vs. Navaneethammal and Anr., THE STAMP PAPERS DO NOT HAVE ANY EXPIRY PERIOD. Citation : Thiruvengada Pillai Vs. Navaneethammal and Anr. Judgment : According to a recent Supreme Court judgement dated 19/02/2008 in the case of Thiruvengada Pillai Vs. Navaneethammal and Anr., the stamp papers do not have any expiry period. Relevant extract from SC Judgement is reproduced herein below: "The Indian Stamp Act, 1899 nowhere prescribes any expiry date for use of a stamp paper. Section 54 merely provides that a person possessing a stamp paper for which he has no immediate use (which is not spoiled or rendered unfit or useless), can seek refund of the value thereof by surrendering such stamp paper to the Collector provided it was purchased within the period of six months next preceding the date on which it was so surrendered. The stipulation of the period of six months prescribed in section 54 is only for the purpose of seeking refund of the value of the unused stamp paper, and not for use of the stamp paper. Section 54 does not require the person who has purchased a stamp paper, to use it within six months.
http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Validity-of-stamp-paper-319596.asp#.Ue8kKW1qcuk

Since i need to just add my wife's name, do i need to also take my own Bank statement as any sort of proof ? My friend went to Pune PSK and wanted to get address changed (not in my case) but he mentioned that the person there was asking everyone for bank statement and was telling them to get one if they did not have.
I feel this is absurd when one has other proof like adhaar and such.

Since i need to just add my wife's name, do i need to also take my own Bank statement as any sort of proof ? My friend went to Pune PSK and wanted to get address changed (not in my case) but he mentioned that the person there was asking everyone for bank statement and was telling them to get one if they did not have.
I feel this is absurd when one has other proof like adhaar and such.

In your case it would help further if your wife's name also is seen on the Bank Statement. Now .......

Ever tried discussing 'logic' or 'rules' with yer Boss :banghead: :rolleyes: !!!

Every person that you meet [PSK - Counters A,B,C down to the Police Thana is a 'Boss' in their own finite space], and is capable of 'insisting' on their own set of rules. There is nothing in the world that you or I can do (absolutely NOTHING) to question that rule or condition that is imposed. This is a fundamental truth to grasp in the entire exercise and I do not mind repeating it ad-infinitum ad-nauseum :nailbiting:

In my own case, the Bank Statement was not even asked or considered (PSK or Police Stn). However, at the Police Station the same Cop 'demanded' it for my daughter's case o_O & did not want the 'original' (although I did not need it), so I had to rush out and get a xerox & then her case file was closed.

@logistopath - keep Xerox copies of all your notarised docs. The PSK may take the originals, however later for Police Verification these xeroxes will come in handy.

I Gave 4 documents at the PSK for my pp and all were approved with in seconds.
After 15 days
At the Local thana i had more than 100 papers in hand all zerox..
Bank statement
Society Noc
Birth Certificate
Death Certificate Of My dad
Aadhar Card as a Additional Proof
Licence
Residence Papers
NOC from the Neighbours whose name i mentioned in the Application
The List continues

i asked them why are u asking for so many extra papers.

Sir,
Tata is a private company who takes your application for passport,its up to us to investigate whom should be given the passport

Sir,
Tata is a private company who takes your application for passport,its up to us to investigate whom should be given the passport

Ditto statement was made by the Police SI who went through my papers.

As usual the laid-back sarkari babu's (incuding cops) are resenting Tata's entry into their turf & keep blaming them for 'clearing' applications like lightning.They (cops) kept ranting that "How the hell is Tata going to check/cross-check the bonafides of each individual & whether they have any 'criminal' or any other 'cases' registered ..... and that this is 'our-headache".

Tata has also imposed 'strict conditions' for the cops to clear/process all applications within a strict time-period (3 weeks from the date you clear PSK) and revert papers back to them. So the whole procedure now takes 30-40 days (earlier it used to be 60-120 or more days).

I discussed with the cops that soon things could be streamlined (hopefully) so that the cops are able to login and access the same files (and scanned documents) of an individual that the PSK maintains & clear things online, so there is less of paper-work and delays. However it was like talking 'greek' to the cops :banghead: .... they can't even visualise what this means.

Later on I went around the police thana (MIDC - Andheri-E), I saw hardly any computers. All around - there are still huge humongous files/books/reams of papers where they document everything...... they are merrily happy with things the way they are.

Jaago India !!

@terence_fdes your police verification got through really fast. I submitted my docs at the police stn on 14-7-13 and still the application status has not changed whatsoever. When I asked the fellow who was making my file he said passport will come to you within 40 days.. however the status on the site might not change at all.. I went WTF !!!

Also the police stn under which my area falls is in the IT Park of Pune. For God sakes if not any other atleast this thana should have been computerized.

How many days does it take (to get the passport in our hands) once we get the following status

Police Report has been submitted by SP Office, District Mumbai and passport printing is in progress.

Seeing all the posts here, I see the passport dept has surely gone to dogs. I remember getting my passport by providing only 3 documents - 12th marksheet, bank statement and birth cert and I guess most of you guys wouldn't even require the birth cert. Society NOC, NOC from referrals, aadhar ... even buying a country will not require so many documents.

Seeing all the posts here, I see the passport dept has surely gone to dogs. I remember getting my passport by providing only 3 documents - 12th marksheet, bank statement and birth cert and I guess most of you guys wouldn't even require the birth cert. Society NOC, NOC from referrals, aadhar ... even buying a country will not require so many documents.

Times have changed bro .... It's a virtual nightmare now :bawling:[DOUBLEPOST=1375630563][/DOUBLEPOST]
2 weeks mosty . But we are talking about passport office so nothing is certain

Is there any way once the 'lamination' is done .... That I can go and personally pick it up from
- the passport office or
- post office

I know there is no fixed time but does any one know how much time it will take me inside the PSK if my appointment is at 10 AM in the morning. I have got one for 12th Aug for Malad PSK.
Mine is spouse name endorsement.

I know there is no fixed time but does any one know how much time it will take me inside the PSK if my appointment is at 10 AM in the morning. I have got one for 12th Aug for Malad PSK.
Mine is spouse name endorsement.

If all your 'papers/documents' are in place, then it could take 45-90 mins at the most to clear A-B-C counters. Further delays could be caused by the following
- Tatkal folks trooping in
- Pending 'rejected-apps' of people [for incomplete documents etc] who had their appointments 1-3 days prior to yours - This lot of people also add up to the 'actual' scheduled appointments of the day (like yours)

So expect a minimum of 45-90 mins and a maximum of :nailbiting: :rage: :eek:

My application now says Police report submitted by local thana. Awaiting approval from Commssioner's Office. Not sure how much time that will take.

Is there anything specific which is NOT allowed to be taken inside the PSK ? Like food etc ?
I plan to take a backpack which will contain the passport and other documents original and xeroxes and appointment receipt and pen.

I think this is the first time I have come across an question like this. The PSK is so crowded and hectic eating anything will be the last time on peoples minds.

@terence_fdes @raksrules
My appointment with the Coimbatore PSK was yesterday at 3.15 pm. I reached the office at 3 pm sharp. Was allowed entry immediately. Docs were checked and token issued in 10 mins. The TCS guy here only asked us not to proceed with my wife's and kid's applications, for lack of necessary documents. :( Immediately I had to go to counter A, 'coz my token number showed up on the screen as soon as I entered this section (there are a total of 14 counters here). Document verification, scanning, photograph, and finger print registration was done here in 5 mins. I could change the surname column and other application details as members here already mentioned. Proceeded to counter B. Again, almost instantly my token was called up. There were 4 counters here (B1 to B4). The lady in the counter checked all documents with the originals, and requested me to get one more document scanned in the A section - 5 mins. Back to A, the document was scanned and added without making me wait any further. Back to B again, the lady just ensured that this additional document was uploaded and then asked me to wait to be called in counter C.
Waited for 5 mins for my token number to flash. There were 3 counters in C (C1 to C3). When my token number flashed, it was mentioned as APO1 - Assistant Passport Officer I believe. So, rather than counter C, I had to go to the APO's office, who made one final verification, and then tossed my files in the bin containing dozens of such applications. I believe the APO randomly gets some token numbers, or may be he shares the workload on some days..
In all, by the time I was out with the acknowledgement slip, it was an unbelievable 3.55 p.m only.. Just 40 mins in all... ;) I was damn impressed with the efficiency with which these guys at the Coimbatore PSK work. It was not just in counter A, but even in counters B and C, everything was organized and smooth. No chaos, no noise, nothing. The officers were absolutely well mannered and dignified, and there were at least 3 to 4 TCS guys in each section just to help the applicants...
Am now waiting for the next chapter.. The local police station. I just hope the police verification goes smoothly.

P.S:
1. My wife had absolutely no document as address proof. I carried an affidavit stating her present address signed by a notary, but that was not sufficient.
2. More than the telephone bills, these guys valued my current bank pass book and statement of accounts more.
3. My son's application was not considered. I was told that at least one parent should have a passport and then apply. I didn't argue much 'coz right now my passport was very essential, and any way I have to go back again for my wife's passport.
4. The guy at the token issuing counter asked me to get a passport first, and then use that for my wife's application. In addition to this, he asked me to make my bank account as a joint a/c with my wife, and use that as address proof.[DOUBLEPOST=1375813551][/DOUBLEPOST]@raksrules I am not sure if they allow food inside. The Coimbatore PSK at least had a small canteen inside that served snacks and tea/coffee.

I asked Food specifically because my appointment is probably in the first slot of 10 AM and i am not sure how much time it will take me inside. I hope it takes less and i am out before 12. Only time will tell. Will be going on 12th and then report back my story.

Back