Audio Random DAC/Amp Thread!!

#[member='strategy'],

I may get D2 sometime in the future.

Are you talking about PriceJapan looking 'shady'? I see many head-fiers buying from PriceJapan. They've been around for long (See really older threads here, here, here). Recently, Muppetface got her Fostex TH900 from PriceJapan going by this post).

thanks santhosh their prices are sure great,

but why dont they spend some on their website, with the products they have for sale , it might give theri sales a boost.

I bought ultrasone pro 900 recently, i tried using cowon j3 and sansa clip zip (rockboxed) as source but still not happy with the bass. What would be good portable amp option with bass boost function?

I bought ultrasone pro 900 recently, i tried using cowon j3 and sansa clip zip (rockboxed) as source but still not happy with the bass. What would be good portable amp option with bass boost function?

Digizoid zo2 or fiio e11

well i am using my fiio from my j3 for bass boast using my JVC fxt90 IEM

i can't say anything about Digizoid

as my recommendation go for fiio e11 its cheaper compared to Digizoid zo2 & it can run any headphone up-to 300 ohms

E11 could barely drive the the 150 ohm yamaha HP50A. Even the gain isn't too much.

But the overall sound is very capable for the price.

Someone please suggest a cheap USB to S/PDIF converter.

I checked the HA Info U2 but i want even cheaper.

Are there any available in India?

I am looking for an external sound card, which I hope means I am looking for a DAC for use with my desktop PC. Kindly suggest something that will be used with Denon D1100 (my future purchase). I won't be using it with any other devices and solely with my PC.

BUDGET: 5k

I also have some more queries:

1. Should I invest in a DAC/Soundcard now or do I wait till I venture into >10k HPs ?

2. Will I benefit from a DAC ? Never auditioned them or even seen them

My previous queries:

Thank you once again for responding to my query.

I am purely into stereo audio and have absolutely no surround sound gear in the house. It might be in the distant future for the same.

Right now, since I am concentrating on quality audio gear I realised that I had to upgrade 2 components, a soundcard and my music files, from internal to a dedicated one and from measly mp3 files to lossless formats respectively.

I saw the Xonar STX and it's mightly price meant I will have to save up a lot. Then I came across the likes of Fiio E17 etc the purpose of which I initially failed to understand. I think an external solution is the best for me as I would use it with my phone, iPod and my PC, rarely the laptop.

Thank you for clearing some air.

You can of course use E17 with PC and Laptop.

But, are you implying using it as a DAC with iPod and iPhone? As an amplifier, yes! you can do so via the Aux input. But, you cannot use it as a DAC + Amp with iDevices as that require the blessings of the fruit company, which is not cheap. Pure i-20 is the cheapest way to get a Digital out of the iDevices. You can then feed to any external DAC (portable / desktop), but that will compromise heavily on portability. Other solutions like Fostex HP-P1 and Cyberlabs Algorthym Solo not only make the rig a "brick-rig" or brig for short, but you need a brick of Rs. 1000 notes to buy them as well.

On the format issue, I definitely prefer loss-less files more, but only because they can be converted to any lossy/original wave format just as easily (VBR / 320kbps / WAV). But other than that, I don't feel it makes a huge difference when listening with portable devices.

Sarath, even if you dont have a fancy, power hungry headphone, a decent DAC always helps a lot when it comes to sound quality. I mean, its the benefit of having a nice, clean sounding source, than about gobs of power! And if you are coming from onboard pc sound, it sure is a good upgrade.

Getting a DAC surely makes sense if you want to listen to songs on your PC thru your iems/hps. If you do most of your listening from your portable player, you are better off buying a good headphone amp as and when the need arises( i,e when you buy you a power hungry headphone).

Thank you for your reply. I have been under the same impression that I might need an upgrade at this point. Right now I am looking for a DAC / Ext Sound card for my PC; if they work with portable gadgets then it is just an added bonus but not something I am looking for specifically.

Can you suggest a few DACs that can be bought for around 5k ?

I was looking at the Fiio range of DACs but I am more confused than I was before reading through them.

Fiio E10 should serve the purpose. It's said to be nice but has a bit loose bass.

You may also go for D5 + E11 combo. It'll be more versatile than E10 alone.

D5 serves as both dac & amp but the amp section is very hissy.

I'd also say that dacs in the 5k range won't outdo an mp3 player/ipod in terms of resolution/definition/clarity.

For a significant upgrade you need to extend your budget.

Yeah dac/amp combos look fancy but are not always an upgrade over portable players especially the budget ones.

If you can stretch, probably get the Audinst MX1. Or else, settle for Essence ST/STX. I have not heard MX1, but have read good things about it.

I have no idea about FiiO though!

Guys, I own the Sennheiser HD555 headphones and I'm rather underwhelmed with the sound quality. They sound extremely clear but I feel the mids lack definition. I currently have them hooked up to my M-audio fast track external USB soundcard, but I not sure if it has enough power to drive the headphones. Will using a headphone amplifier help? I only use them on my PC for making music on Logic and Ableton, listening to music (320Kbps AAC), and playing games. My budget is 3-4k for a headphone Amp/DAC.

Hey #[member='Sarath_']

It would be better if you could increase your budget a bit since this would be (hopefully) a one time purchase for you. Something like a HRT MS2 or a Audinst Mx1 would be really good.

Thanks for your suggestions. Looks like I will go with the MX1. Ironically I have no HPs to utilise them well.

#[member='Oyster'] : what's D5?

#[member='Sarath_']

While it's true that better headphones scale up with sources and amps (HD650, HD800 are said to be notorious for it), even other IEMs would show at least a marginal difference compared to the onboard sound depending on how good or bad your onboard audio is.

Guys, I own the Sennheiser HD555 headphones and I'm rather underwhelmed with the sound quality. They sound extremely clear but I feel the mids lack definition. I currently have them hooked up to my M-audio fast track external USB soundcard, but I not sure if it has enough power to drive the headphones. Will using a headphone amplifier help? I only use them on my PC for making music on Logic and Ableton, listening to music (320Kbps AAC), and playing games. My budget is 3-4k for a headphone Amp/DAC.

HD555 have quite nice airy mids. I don't think they require much amplification as well.

Rather than an amp, use a different source if you want better definition rather than amplification. An amp will only be able to alter nature of mids (forward/recessed/laid back/thick/thin) but wont add much quality.

Back