Audio Random DAC/Amp Thread!!

Well! I'd love to. But, Anedio D2 is $1470 and shipping is at least another $100-150. If this was sent by UPS, then I am expecting another 4-5K at least as duty and clearance fees. At the current rate of INR vs USD, it all come close to a lakh. Not to mention, pre-orders do not begin until June 11. It's a HUGE commitment. If at the end of that exercise, I find D2 to be far better (taking into account law of diminishing returns) than DacMini CX -> Burson HA-160 AND I can find a buyer for DacMini and the Burson, then all's well. I am waiting to see if INR would appreciate a little bit (at least 52-53, which could save ~ 5K) before the next-next batch. One can only hope! :(

yeah the conversion rate really have messed up all my purchases , my anedio D1 cost me 60 including all shipping and customs , now its goint to be atleast 80K , thats a huge setback.

was lookihn to buy HD800, but the dollar prices have put an end to that. now am waiting, for it to go down.

Has anybody here used a specialized 'audiophile' USB Card like this - SOtM tX-USB Audiophile PCI to USB Audio Card

I have seen it once on sale in head-fi, IIRC. But, other than that I have no idea. Will this actually improve the final SQ?

PS: Damn! This thread is sleeping for too long! Everybody settled with their gear or what?
Interestingly, discussion going on at HFV also on the same device.
Audiophile PCI to USB card

TLDR version: Very likely snake oil.

I'll repeat my thoughts here for the lazy :bleh:
With some laptops (Apple's one Macbook famously), the USB hub that's used for the external ports is also used for internal devices like keyboard, trackpad, etc. This could lead to audio dropouts. The article below has a tiny discussion regarding the Apple USB.
Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile Pocket Server - C.A.P.S. v2.0

On desktops, such an implementation of shared hub would be rare. Checking my desktop's Device Manager, I see zero internal devices hooked to the USB hub. Right off, i think this device has limited appeal for it's target market (desktops).

And as Thad has mentioned, it costs more than many decent soundcards. IMO, not worth the moolah. It might have been OK at <100$ (although it would still potentially be snake oil)

From the CAPS 2.0 page

The most likely question CA readers are asking themselves as they read this article is, "How does it sound?" I unequivocally state the SOtM products improved the sound quality of my system when placed into the C.A.P.S. v2.0 server. In fact I was so interested to hear if these products made a difference I placed the tX-USB in the server then connected a Wavelength Audio WaveLink converter to a main motherboard USB port instead of the tX-USB. Old habits are hard to break. I was sorely disappointed as I heard absolutely no change with only the tX-USB installed and my USB converter to the main board. After a couple tracks I mentally retraced my steps and realized my error. Like any wise Golfer I gave myself a mulligan. With the WaveLink connected to the tX-USB (power enabled as required by WaveLink) I listened to the same tracks that I had played using the previous misconfiguration. I was pleasantly surprised to hear such a nice difference. I understand what has gone into engineering the SOtM components but I also understand far better how computers operate. How can there be a sonic difference? USB is USB isn't it? Bit transparent is bit transparent isn't it? Unfortunately there's much more to computer audio than meets the eye or the ear. While working on C.A.P.S. v2.0 a CA reader posted the following link to a discussion on Audio Asylum. The discussion details some of the problems associated with USB audio and the difficulties in addressing the issues. A phrase that comes to mind after reading such informative discussions is, "The more you know, the more you know you don't know."

It's highly likely that placebo is at work. I am still somewhat interested in this board considering that I am only using STX for SPDIF out. Most 'audiophiles' use USB to SPDIF converters like audiophileo and those are costly (D2 incorporates one inside, whereas for Anedio D1, one can buy U1 separately). Instead, this claims to 'cleanup' USB at the source :p. Is there any "audiophile" review of this board anywhere else? It's highly unlikely that nobody would have heard about it yet!

It's highly likely that placebo is at work.
My guess too. Chris Connaker, who write the articles, while well informed, isn't particularly objective, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
NwAvGuy: What We Hear

I am still somewhat interested in this board considering that I am only using STX for SPDIF out.
You aren't using the card at all :bleh:

Most 'audiophiles' use USB to SPDIF converters like audiophileo and those are costly (D2 incorporates one inside, whereas for Anedio D1, one can buy U1 separately). Instead, this claims to 'cleanup' USB at the source :p

One of the popularly converters (Atleast on Headfi) is the M2 HiFace.
http://www.m2tech.biz/hiface.html

I think it retails for ~ USD $150; haven't got any idea about the costs of the other converters you've mentioned.

Now, usually people use these converters because the DAC's implementation of USB is an afterthought, while SPDIF would have been a primary goal. So cleaning up the PC side will still not help much if the DAC side implementation of the USB interface is poor.

My guess too. Chris Connaker, who write the articles, while well informed, isn't particularly objective, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
NwAvGuy: What We Hear

As much as I like the guy and as much I'd like to learn how to interpret how IEMs sound from graphs, music is still subjective. At the end of the day, I see no use remaining firm in one camp or the other. It's not either-or. Given that the final goal of this hobby is to make the equipment disappear - to have an emotional attachment, to feel the flow of music and nothing else, I'd say be subjective, but with a healthy dose of skepticism. Neither be Headfonia nor be NwAvGuy.

You aren't using the card at all :bleh:

Au Contraire, it is used as digital transport - much like QA350 is to UHA-6S :p

Now, usually people use these converters because the DAC's implementation of USB is an afterthought, while SPDIF would have been a primary goal. So cleaning up the PC side will still not help much if the DAC side implementation of the USB interface is poor.

On the other hand, cleaning up the PC side of things can make my HRT MS2 sing like DacMini CX in my placebo induced ears. Can you deny that? ;)

Interesting DAC that can work both with iDevices as well as a normal DAC. Supposed to be priced under $400 according to shigzeo (in Page 2) : New VentureCraft Go-DAP X for both iDevices and PCs. Apparently, V-Moda's VAMP is a customized version of Go-DAP.

I read some impressions of the old version, Go-DAP 4.0 (here: VentureCraft Go-Dap GD-04 for iPhone 4). I am not sure how it sounds as there seem to be plenty of variants out there. But, looks like NOS sound from Shigzeo's post on the last page. There was also mention of 'background noise' with sensitive IEMs in another post by shigzeo. I was a bit interested because the yet to be released Go-DAP X could be used as a Stand-alone DAC or to get digital out of an iDevice or work as a DAC/Amp with an iDevice. But, after reading the impressions of 4.0, my interest has waned a bit.

Don't think you really need an amp for the M50, at least that's what I remember from back when I had them.

When you say driven through a phone/ipod you're looking at something portable right?

Don't think you really need an amp for the M50, at least that's what I remember from back when I had them.

When you say driven through a phone/ipod you're looking at something portable right?

thing is.. friend has already purchased M50.. and he uses his smartphone to play music on it. since a new player cannot be bought , so was wondering if an amp would improve the sound quality..

I'm sure they'll be a slight difference, trouble is I don't see it making such a difference that someone would feel that it was 15k well spent.

Also, take something like the RSA Mustang for instance, a new one at late last year was close to 16k (W/O shipping and customs), a friend who was looking to buy one at the current exchange rate would have had to pay 21k if he decided to get it. Terrible time to be buying new stuff from abroad.

Wait for Santosh and others to comment, but maybe something like one of the Fiio DAC+amp combos will give him better value for money.....the E7 or E17 or something in that price range. He'd get the amp for his portable use plus he can always use the DAC at home with his PC. The E17 is about 9K if you convert SGD to INR the E7 must about half as much.

Need help with my config ,
DAC that i own "Firestone Spitfire MK1" has only optical & coax inputs.
Previously i used it with STX coax out & it sounded splendid. With STX gone i switched to PS3 optical out but found it inferior to STX coax out.
I am looking for cheap options & have narrowed following :
> Use a cheap soundcard like Xonar DG with Toslink port.
> Use SPDIF header (for coax) on the Xonar DG pcb.
DG.jpg

> Use a USB to spdif converter like HA INFO U2.
369265581_572.jpg

> Use spdif header on my motherboard with an External Coax bracket.
518pXgDXlKL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kindly suggest the option with optimum SQ.

Thanks.

Audioquest Dragonfly?

Anybody looking at Audioquest Dragonfly? Seems like an interesting product - compact, portable DAC + amp. Seems like it would work best with IEMs, but not with headphones. I don't actually mind that. May be at $200, it makes an even more interesting choice. Not sure how the SQ is though so far. Invites comparison to HRT Headstreamer and CENtrance DacPort and it's right in between in terms of price.

Specification
HRT Headstreamer
CEntrance DacPort
Audioquest Dragonfly
Price$139 (Amazon)$399 (CEntrance)$249 (Amazon)
Output Power1.4 V rms Full Scale, Upto 130 mW4.4 V Peak, 1.5W Total (Class A)2 V rms, 150 mW
DAC ChipBurr Brown PCM1793Asahi Kasei AK4396ESS ES9023 (I think)
USBUSB 1.0 AsyncUSB 1.0 Adaptive (using Adaptiwave)USB 1.0 Async (using Streamlength protocol)
Dimensions2.9" x 2.4" x 1.0"4.5" x 1.0" x 1.0"Unknown, but looks smaller
Output Impedance< 1 Ohm10 Ohm0.8 Ohm (See here)
Noise Floor18 uV RMS 100 dB (DC to 30 Khz)7 uV RMS (A-weight), max gainUnknown
THD (1Khz, Full Scale).008%
0.0018% / -95 dBUnknown
Sample Rate IndicatorSeparate LED lightsNoneDifferent Colors in the LED Indicator
Attenuator50 x 1 dB stepsPot64 position + fixed mode

Hmmm.. Anybody decipher anything from this? ;)

I've never agreed more with a review than project86's review on Inner Fidelity (despite mine being a MK1 experience): Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier | InnerFidelity

Good to know I am not the only one appreciating them. Some of the things that mirror my experience

The sound from this amp is clear, detailed, and very natural. It's also absent any coloration, which means it may not satisfy some users looking for an audio band-aid to cover the flaws in their music or headphones. That's not what I value in an amp but I recognize that some people do; those users should probably look elsewhere.Those seeking a transparent sound should definitely read on though, because portable amps don't get much better than this.

My initial method of evaluation was to use the UHA-6 in its most basic form - as a portable amp being fed by a line-out dock connected to an iPod Touch. The most obvious improvement here is the ability to drive difficult loads more effectively. The iPod by itself can often struggle to produce acceptable volume levels with full-sized headphones---the HiFiMAN HE-500 and Sennheiser HD650 are two examples, both clearly lacking when driven straight from the iPod headphone jack. With the Leckerton set to high-gain mode both models have significantly more headroom, sounding more dynamic and controlled. But there's more to it than just volume and drive. From the iPod jack, neither headphone sounds all that clear or well defined. It's like a big wet blanket thrown over the sound---I actually prefer my V-MODA M80 over either model when driven straight from the iPod. But add the Leckerton to the equation and we begin to see why the HD650 and HE-500 are so well regarded. Softness is replaced by clarity and definition ousts vagueness. For such a compact amp I am very impressed with the performance.

Most people aren't die-hard enough to carry big headphones like those in a portable setup. A far more likely pairing would be something like the V-Moda M-80, B&W P5, or Beyerdynamic DT1350. With those types, an amp need not supply massive current or voltage swing. They simply require a clear, neutral tone with low distortion. It also helps to have great channel balance and a silent background, attributes the Leckerton has in full. I can't truthfully say that the UHA is a night and day improvement over my iPod when using the M-80. It's more of a subtle thing, where listening for long periods is easier. I find myself focusing on the music more intensely rather than being distracted and wanting to read a magazine or check my email while I listen. If the amp manages to keep me more engaged then it must be doing something right, even if it isn't quite so concrete as it is with the bigger/more difficult headphones.

Then we come to in-ear monitors (IEMs), which have a whole new set of requirements. They don't need much power at all, but are all about finesse and subtlety combined with high resolution. Obviously that quiet background and great channel balance comes in handy again, as does the gain switch. Setting the Leckerton on +0dB means a very wide usable volume range to play with. And then there's the matter of output impedance: with multi-driver balanced armature designs, the headphone impedance can vary wildly. Some of my custom IEMs such as the Unique Melody Merlin and the Lear LCM-2B dip extremely low at certain frequencies. The 3rd gen iPod Touch that I'm using has an output impedance of 7 ohms, meaning that interactions are likely to happen. The results from these interactions will vary for each IEM, but generally speaking it will lead to unpredictable peaks and dips in the frequency response as well as an unacceptably low damping factor. Adding the Leckerton with its sub-1 ohm output impedance will take care of that problem completely---you get to hear the IEM as it was originally voiced.

However, there are other things that the amp does in terms of refinement and clarity that can not be attributed merely to the impedance factor. This becomes especially apparent when driving an ultra-revealing IEM like the Heir Audio 4.A or Earproof Atom. Micro-detail, or the ability to resolve minuscule events in the recording, is noticeably improved. Sometimes this will manifest itself as non-musical background information---an audience member coughs, a metronome clicks, that sort of thing. Other times it will actually be part of the performance---subtle brush work on drums, fingers sliding on guitar strings, and that last bit of breathiness in a singer's voice. Both types are the sort of low-level details that are very present in live performances but require a quality playback chain to properly reproduce. The Leckerton just goes farther towards that goal than most portable players do on their own.

Other Uses

Getting back to portable use, there are still very few portable devices offering digital outputs. An iPod paired with the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo or Fostex HP-P1 will do the job. Some people are still using the venerable iRiver H100 series players. I chose the rather uncommon path of using a QLS QA-350---it's a brick with a tiny display, poor battery life, and it only plays WAV files, but it does have digital outs and the price is right. I find that it's worth lugging around this combo when I want to experience "at home" quality sound on the go - something that is rarely achievable without spending a good deal of money.

;) :D

Just got the SR-71B, need some cans now with 25-13 II gone. Have to wait a month though :(

Probably the HD600, have the balanced cable for them in any case.

Does the iBasso DB2 make sense in the near future?

Haven't had the chance to try it balanced or with anything that craves the extra power it has on offer. Right now single ended output from mustang I'd say is better than the protector and the sr71b.......but that's not what either of them was built for. The protector couldn't drive the 25-13-II 600 ohm like the EHHA, but that of course was expected.

Really haven't put either of them to fair use, been wasteful purchases thus far, but upgrades have been slow to come. Now that I've got the 71B and the cable will probably buy a pair of headphones soon. Customs again but next year, followed by a portable balanced DAC, people have been talking of the possibility of a RSA one for sometime.....if that takes too long the boomslang 2 although the form factor adds to an already bulky setup.

Where is everybody? Why is this thread dead?

Anybody tried RWAK100? At only $940 shipped, it finds itself in the august company of DX100, Tera Player and Hifiman HM-801 (BTW, whatever happened to HM-901 or 802 or whatever it is called?)

NAD M51 is interesting. Reading up on it.

Back