Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

FaH33m said:
Keeping 2-3 top-tier makes no sense to me when I know I won't be using all of them

It works for me though ;). I am almost sure I won't be getting a custom. But top-tier universals? I will add more if I can. One thing is that with top-tiers, I can be sure that it won't suck completely and won't be severely lacking. Secondly, I don't like monotony. If I had one perfect IEM that does everything well, I'll anyway get bored and seek some weakness - something different in no time. I've listened to the same album through three different IEMs this week - each bringing it's own perspective to the fore. Thirdly, my tastes don't remain the same (also due to the monotony factor). Sometimes, I spend lot of time with Bach and Mozart, sometimes with Opeth, sometimes I seek something heavy. I am not sure what I'd listen to tomorrow. It's just one short life. Why restrict the choices? - That's just one man's view and may not work out for the 99.9% of people.

That said, I'd have to clean up some of the budget and garden variety IEMs I have. They make less sense unless they have a specialty.

On Quads, ericp10 was supposed to write a review. Not sure if he posted it.

@mukul,

Hifiman did that 'custom experiment' long time ago - before the RE262 was launched. Now, even RE262 has not been officially launched. Wonder what goes on behind the scenes.

@meph..., dont worry about the Sflo 2. it seems nicely built to me .

in any case you have an year warranty .

@mukul, you have the Sflo ? If you are experiencing some stability issues , send them back for replacement. I for one have no problems with Sflo ( regarding the build and stability of course , its still a pain to use though. )

@santosh , amarbir told me you can order a universal-fit-custom ( its a noun, dont try to understand the meaning ) also that can be used with various tips , why not go for that one if you really want universals. ( they just make the shell smaller ) Will have a good resale value also.

^ Universal fit customs? Do they make a custom that can fit universal tips? That would still remain a universal with a different shell. If they are universals with a custom fit, it's a universal with a custom made tip :S. Or are you talking about universal version of customs like Mage etc., that they send for review (like Project86 did for Miracle)?

Can you explain that a bit more elaborately?

That would be interesting as long as they are not priced insanely :). Thanks for the idea. My wallet says this to you - :mad:

PS: I doubt if they sell it, but anyways doesn't hurt to ask.

Custom IEMs with universal fit are usually the one's built for testing/ auditioning at various stores etc. They do not provide the same isolation and fit as the actual custom IEM but give you an idea of what the custom IEM sounds like :).

Universals with custom fit - Basically detachable ear mould shaped tips that can be put on a universal IEM for custom like fit :p .

Hope that makes it clear.

Mephistopheles said:
Now, Im scared :fear:

BTW dude, if you have the RE1 with you could you do a RE1 vs RE262 comparison?
Ok here it goes in very simple words.

RE1-If u love only upfront vocals and mids, can stay with an OK bass(not as well textured and slow wrt to 262), hate treble, like only WIDE soundstage and have a decent AMP

RE262-If u want to have organic vocals, smooth, upfront and detailed mids, well PROPORTIONED soundstage(width, depth and height), textured bass with normal decay (dnt expect BA fast bass) and want laidback treble with details across the spectrum. Re262 doesnt not extended far on both ends but have good dynamics.

If u hear RE1 u hear mids which are somewht supported by bass with almost non existent treble.

If u hear re262 u still hear good lush mids, very well supported by bass and a laidback treble which can be brought upfront by eq. Dynamics of re262 is also very good.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@ santhosh

I doubt they will launch re262. May b they will improve on this and will present re272 soon or i m too Optimistic here....

@ achal

No i m planning to buy a pmp. I m not going for sflo2 cuz u cant say whn it dies. Also i m looking for some android based PMP if possible.

I will wait for few months and thn decide

@ achal

Yea i almost forgot about tht + faheem also got 262 for 252 from HD

but yet they are not listed on HD..........dnt know wht thy r planning

or they are going to release 242+262+272...........:S

@ mukul - do give a try to HM601 !!

For me , its a fantastic player . Best out of all i have tried yet . ( i.e ipod touch , ipod classic , clip+ , fuze , J3 )

RE 262 + HM-601 will match perfect according to my view .

^^ well i have a doubt here regd ths matching.

re262 are warm, mid centric same as 601

hw can they pair well

DBA, RE0, RE ZERO can pair well wth it

This is all on the papers.........

Also HM602 sounds similar to 601(as read on HD).

Acc to Achal, 262 dnt pair well with 602 which seems obvious to me.

any how hw is the UI and battery life

yeah, the RE262 does not pair well with the HM602.

i cant say about the HM602, but if its anything like M602 , i wont recommend it for RE262.

any other iEM , i will recommend it whole heatedly recommend it. better soundstage and imaging than Sflo and sweeter warm mids. :)

Mukul, am not laughing at you , rather i am laughing at the name and price. they already have great IEMs in 60-100 price tag.

the best guess would be they have their hands full, with the HE6, HM601 and Hm602's launch.

people have been complaining on head fi about the mismanagement with HD orders. SOme getting 4x HE5LE instead of 1 HE6, and some getting a damaged piece ( which shoud have not passed the quality control )

next guess would be that they are planning RE272. But i suppose thats highly unlikely, cause they specifically named this product, and fang even sold some at recent meet.

Mukul, am not laughing at you , rather i am laughing at the name and price. they already have great IEMs in 60-100 price tag.

You can laugh @ me but u dnt hav any right to laugh @ re242:mad:

i feel they are going to do away with re0+1+2 as they r quite outdated

@Meph,

S:Flo3 will not come out until MP4Nation finds a better Teclast player or another good player to re-brand.

I am not sure why they are delaying RE262 launch. Perhaps, as mukul says, they are going to launch a whole new line-up one after another (like they did with RE2/1/0)

Thinking about it, why is anubhav missing from FS/WTB thread these days? Is he finally satisfied with his current setup? :O

Back