Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

2001: A Space Odyssey is one the the best SciFi flick ever!!!!:)

It's slow , it may be boring but boy it does makes your head spin!!! Specially the last part!

eggman said:
2001: A Space Odyssey is one the the best SciFi flick ever!!!!:)
It's slow , it may be boring but boy it does makes your head spin!!! Specially the last part!

you're right about it making your head spin. i was forced to watch this for a science fiction course in college. i remember the professor slept off in the front rows of the hall we were watching it in. the rest of us went out of our minds watching it. as soon as the movie was over, i went back to my hostel room and fell asleep and woke up 15 hours later.

biggest mindf**k movie ever made.

^^ I do recognize that 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece as far as the grand vision it had in matters of the space is concerned... space walks, shuttles, costumes all were imagined so realistically even though the real stuff was a few years away.

Great imagination and great science for a fictional film.

But that is not the core of the film. Core is that f***ing monolith and the journey through colours - I am calling it this just for the sake of simplicity - and that scene where the traveler turns old and the birth. What is the underlying message, what is this allegory, what are the symbols? At least I can't make a sense of it, and this coupled with its slow pace make the film a PIA.

spindoctor said:
biggest mindf**k movie ever made.

Actually, when it comes to mind****ness, I thought its still a notch below Memento...I was in a dizzy state for a week after watching Memento. All 2001 takes is a very concentrated viewing (which is difficult because the movie does tend to put you to sleep in some moments :p) and you'll get it.

But that is not the core of the film. Core is that f***ing monolith and the journey through colours - I am calling it this just for the sake of simplicity - and that scene where the traveler turns old and the birth. What is the underlying message, what is this allegory, what are the symbols? At least I can't make a sense of it, and this coupled with its slow pace make the film a PIA.

*SPOILERS*

Here's what I got out of it, out of 2 viewings so far :

The movie is about Aliens (which may be Gods to human beings). These Aliens came millions years ago when man was still a monkey, they planted 3 monoliths (one in earth, one in moon, one near Jupiter). With these monoliths, they intend to influence and record Man's evolution (in other words, they want to help the monkeys evolve...see the part where after coming in contact with the monolith, the monkeys discover how to use a bone as a weapon and pwn the other group of monkeys for the water pond :p ...next thing you can imagine is they discover wheels and so on)

Then, the monolith in the moon is for letting them know when Man takes his first steps into space. That monolith sends a strong signal to the monolith near Jupiter, giving Man his next big challenge - Reaching the outer limits of his Solar System. When the Astronaut reaches that monolith, he is sent in another dimension where he is being observed or/and influenced by those Aliens (or Gods). Colorful journey is only half of it, 2nd half is where they trap that astronaut in an imaginary room made out of his dreams, where he ages and right before death sees a final 4th monolith - after coming under its influence he is reborn and sent back to earth. He is in essence, a super being that will help Man of today evolve into something more (like monkeys evolving into Man).

Well that's the base of it I think, but other people have their own versions..

From Beyond - Weird sci-fi horror flick 7/10

I saw this movie as a small boy in 1990 through some local cable TV.This time i got an uncut version from stuart gordon(thanks to torrents). Must watch for all Jeff Combs fans for his over antics and cool visual effects(remember its from 80's the golden age of horror flicks)

Params7 said:
Here's what I got out of it, out of 2 viewings so far :
The movie is about Aliens (which may be Gods to human beings). These Aliens came millions years ago when man was still a monkey, they planted 3 monoliths (one in earth, one in moon, one near Jupiter). With these monoliths, they intend to influence and record Man's evolution (in other words, they want to help the monkeys evolve...see the part where after coming in contact with the monolith, the monkeys discover how to use a bone as a weapon and pwn the other group of monkeys for the water pond :p ...next thing you can imagine is they discover wheels and so on)

Then, the monolith in the moon is for letting them know when Man takes his first steps into space. That monolith sends a strong signal to the monolith near Jupiter, giving Man his next big challenge - Reaching the outer limits of his Solar System. When the Astronaut reaches that monolith, he is sent in another dimension where he is being observed or/and influenced by those Aliens (or Gods). Colorful journey is only half of it, 2nd half is where they trap that astronaut in an imaginary room made out of his dreams, where he ages and right before death sees a final 4th monolith - after coming under its influence he is reborn and sent back to earth. He is in essence, a super being that will help Man of today evolve into something more (like monkeys evolving into Man).

Well that's the base of it I think, but other people have their own versions..

Well, quite coherent I must say except for one problem. Kubrick was never too big on God or Aliens. All his movies are about more basic and real stuff and when I heard this Alien story about 2001 Space... I found it extremely improbable because Kubrick liked to shape movies according to his vision.

Back