Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

I'd say Duck Soup easily deserves its place in the top 250 as the best Marx bros film considering how influential they were in the comedy genre.

chiron said:
I'd say Duck Soup easily deserves its place in the top 250 as the best Marx bros film considering how influential they were in the comedy genre.

That is my problem. I didn't know anything about Marx Brothers going into the movie. In the comedy genre, I prefer many of Chaplin's movies from that era. The Tramp is funny as well as moving at the same time. I also liked a couple of Buster Keaton movies I've watched as mentioned in my post. He takes lot of real physical risks for the slapstick. One sample from IMDB Trivia section -

In one scene at a train station, Buster Keaton was hanging off of a tube connected to a water basin. The water poured out and washed him on to the track, fracturing his neck nearly to the point of breaking it. This footage appears in the released film. Keaton suffered from blinding migraines for years after making this movie and was unaware of the reason, until a doctor diagnosed him in the 1930s.

Marx Bros comedy, I read, was more word based. But, Duck Soup has lot more slapstick than verbal comedy. Grouche makes plenty of the jokes in the film; the mirror scene is very good, but the rest of the film despite being short was not to my taste. Normally, a good film makes me do research. For instance, after watching "Wild Strawberries", I was so inspired to see a select filmography of Ingmar Bergman. Watching "Nosferatu" made me dig up and watch "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" and "Faust" (all by F.W. Murnau). "Duck Soup" does not cut it for me.

Edit: I am going to catch up some of Carl Dreyer's films though (based on my impression of 'Joan of Arc')

As far as physical comedy goes that peanut stand scene is fantastic. I can understand if you didn't like it but imo that movie is as good as the any Chaplin comedy.

asingh said:
The Age of Dragons 1/10

After a long time watched a movie using FF.

Sorry man but the movie gets (-10)/10...
The movie was horrible and moreover the story line was so wierd and Vinnie Jones playing dragon hunter made it even worse

Thor 9/10.A perfect movie loved every moment of it :).Asgard looks amazing in the movie, very good performance by Chris Hemsworth,Anthony Hopkins.Its another perfect adaptation of Comics,cant wait for Thor 2

Another must watch in cinemas ,no TS please :p

Metalspree said:
Thor 9/10.A perfect movie loved every moment of it :).Asgard looks amazing in the movie, very good performance by Chris Hemsworth,Anthony Hopkins.Its another perfect adaptation of Comics,cant wait for Thor 2

Another must watch in cinemas ,no TS please :p
looks like u watched first day first show. I will be watching it tonight.

Heard that movie doesnt have much 3d effects, but still 3d is being forced......:(...(i hate 3d)

devesh38 said:
looks like u watched first day first show. I will be watching it tonight.

Heard that movie doesnt have much 3d effects, but still 3d is being forced......:(...(i hate 3d)
I watched first day last show :p.It was not bad in 3D.

Some more oldies -

The 400 Blows (1959) - 10/10

This is by far one of the best films I have watched this year. I have watched it in bits and pieces in UTV World Movies (or Lumiere?), but never got a chance to watch in it's entirety. The beginning of the 'New wave French films', it still has not aged or lost it's relevance. It is said that Antoine Doinel is based on Truffaut's own experiences in life as a child. There are no dramatic tensions, artificiality or superficiality in the film, only a natural approach to a boy who always seems to get into trouble with parents, teachers and finally the law due to petty thefts.

Breathless (1960) - 7.5/10

Another 'New wave' French film. The entire movie had 3 lines of script to begin with (source: Interview with Jean-Paul Belmondo in the Criterion Collection DVD) and everything was improvised. The actors would have coffee, Goddard will write the sequence for the day, they were free to interpret and act the way they felt. The total budget like '400 Blows' was only $50,000. The movie ran into 3 hrs+ and Goddard used an innovative 'cut within the shots' resulting in jumpy edits (position of actors change / camera angle changes). Most of the film involves two people talking and there also is a plot i.e., capturing the 'cop killer'.

Pygmalion (1938) - 8/10

The original 'Pygmalion' which gave rise to many imitators. Based on Bernard Shaw's play, with dialogue written by Bernard Shaw himself, the movie is about a phonetic expert taking a flower selling girl with awful English speaking and training her to passing off as royalty. I may be amongst the very few who liked this rather old film over the tens of other 'make an actress act without make-up for half an hour and then apply make-up for the reminder of the film' movies. After watching this original, it was impossible to sit through 30 mins of 'My Fair Lady', another direct adaptation of the play with lot of music added because I think the story telling, the characters and the acting was much tighter and better in the original 1938 film. Audrey Hepburn is far more easy on the eyes than Wendy Hiller, though! IMDB lists another 27 titles with the plot keyword 'Pygmalion'.

Back