Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

Whiplash - 10/10
Hands down the best Hollywood film of 2014. JK Simmons delivers the performance of his life as a terrible jazz orchestra conductor. I also feel Miles Teller has delivered his best performance so far of his fledgling career. Extremely recommended.

Gone Girl -> 5/10 So many loopholes. The built up was pretty good but the 2nd half completely crumbled. Surprised to see high rating in imdb ! Faux intelligent people are increasing by quite a number.

Gone Girl -> 5/10 So many loopholes. The built up was pretty good but the 2nd half completely crumbled. Surprised to see high rating in imdb ! Faux intelligent people are increasing by quite a number.

Sir, Albert Einstain do let us know about loopholes...

When something is universally approve that means it's good, not because of number of pseudo intellectual people are increasing..

Last edited:
Sir, Albert Einstain do let us know about loopholes...

When something is universally approve that means it's good, not because of number of pseudo intellectual people are increasing..
First of all, don't mock anybody who has a different opinion than you by sarcastic name calling.
I'll give you the biggest flaw in that story - if the Feds really bothered to check the cctv footage from Desi's house, they would have found everything was normal till last day and she was not starved and tied to the beds. Also the footage of the murder would be there too. There are so many others for which you can go to the imdb reviews.

if the Feds really bothered to check the cctv footage from Desi's house, they would have found everything was normal till last day and she was not starved and tied to the beds.
cameras were installed at the entry/exit points. and she meticulously planned what was being captured on the cams... like biting desi's lip and ruffling his hair/clothes, which wasn't captured on the camera but only the after-action at the doorway. she carried out many such similar tricks.

only questionable action captured on the camera was when she willingly walked into his home, which could've suggested that she wasn't forcefully kidnapped. but it can be assumed that the earlier portion was automatically overwritten or she erased it.

Time and again, people here need to be reminded of two things
1. This is a thread based solely on opinions so stop getting offended/indulging in condescending behavior; Differest strokes for different folks.
2. IMDB is not the ultimate authority to have a say on the quality of the movie so stop taking it so seriously.

cameras were installed at the entry/exit points. and she meticulously planned what was being captured on the cams... like biting desi's lip and ruffling his hair/clothes, which wasn't captured on the camera but only the after-action at the doorway. she carried out many such similar tricks.

only questionable action captured on the camera was when she willingly walked into his home, which could've suggested that she wasn't forcefully kidnapped. but it can be assumed that the earlier portion was automatically overwritten or she erased it.
So you see, a lot of the difficult things were actually skipped and rather left to the viewers' imagination which shouldn't be the case for a movie like this where everything is so meticulously planned and revealed. Anyway, I just felt that last 45 minutes or were completely out of sync than the rest of it - its like they were out of idea or hurried. and just so you know,
I wasn't looking for any satisfying ending - rather I find many of the feel good ending too artificial. But the way they wrapped up the part in Desi's lake house seems amateurish.

Badlapur, not recommended. It's like Ghajini 2.0, but with no satisfactory ending either. The writers didn't know how to conclude the movie I guess. Nawazuddin Siddiqui has acted brilliantly though, like always. Varun Dhawan is expressionless and doesn't really know how to act, especially when he's paired up with actors who do know how to.

Ugly - 8/10.

This movie had immense scope. It could probably have been the darkest work (almost noir) to come out of Indian cinema, but alas...! Anurag Kashyap has a penchant for stylish camera angles, tight and crisp editing, and a bit of over zealous S&S in most of his movies(sex and sleaze). It it this latter element which actually takes away points from the movie. Why..? I felt the deliberate insertion of S&S at times was forced and to be honest, most Indian actors (read actresses) cannot pull of this attire with reality and conviction. Nevertheless, the movie is a propelling notion, which keeps you edged on a razor, with twists and turns. I literally forgot the opening plot due to the stylish and engaging story-line as the movie continued (I guess the director wanted this), at a decent pace. Do we also become Ugly by the time the movie ends..? I guess so. Some scenes*** are quite harrowing in nature, with the background score chilling one to the spine and raising the hackles on your neck. Rohnit Roy, is stellar. Seriously. Though once the movie has progressed ~35-40%, suddenly the ante is raised regarding: MC, BC, and crass language. It spoils the thematic and cinematic experience. Either keep it from the beginning or not at all. I guess, aggression is more prevalent latter on...!

The scene where the hero is locked up in some run-down building, and the doctor comes to visit him. As soon as the doctor enters the house, he is shown staring at the camera (actually he is looking at something on the ground) for a really long time. Makes the audience wonder "what the heck is he staring at"; with almost autestic music in the background. Similarily when the hero escapes, he literally freaks out, when he enters the same room the doctor just passed through. Same music, but the hero's reaction is far more hyper and paranoi driven. Literal madness..!

Saw a couple of movies -

Whiplash around a week back on a friend's recommendation. As a fellow ex-drummer I enjoyed it immensely. Lots of odd time signature, Double time swing beats. "Just Not My Tempo" :). Very well done though the bleeding on drums on more than 1 occasion was a bit of a stretch :) - Highly recommended.

Birdman - Have been following this movie since I first saw it's trailer some months back. Birdman was a 60's cartoon series televised on Cartoon Network in the 90s. Used to watch it as a kid (Power Zone). Was naturally intrigued. Though the subject matter has nothing to do with it. Great Movie.
Can watch "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" written by Aaron Sorkin. No crazy elements here though.

Grand Budapest Hotel - The Movie which in my opinion should have taken the Oscars. Extremely enjoyable.

Sunset Blvd. Aka Sunset Boulevard - 8.8/10
Superb stuff. Dont let the tag of drama wane the interest, has everything a noir fan would want.

Detective Story - 8.2/10
Picked this up quite by chance, Kirk Douglas was brilliant. Good noir with cop story backdrop.

Out of the Past - 7.8/10
Found this to be pretty good. Better than double indemnity.

Sabrina - 7.7/10
Nice little movie. People need to have their fix of Audrey Hepburn every now and then.

Nightcrawler - 8.2/10
Not too much of a story, but JG steals the show. Was worth the time.

Last edited:
Cloud Atlas - 5/10
It is a very ambitious tale which IMO falls flat and ends up being incomprehensible. Performances are top notch though.

The Little Death - 7/10
A nice little film from Down Under. The final segment of Sam and Monica is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen.

Still Alice - 9/10

Some seriously beautiful touching movies appearing this year. Julianne Moore plays a Columbia university professor who gets diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease in a stunningly realistic portrayal of how an extremely intelligent person deals with a disease that takes away all their intelligence and memories.

Last edited:
Back