Rate the Last Movie You Saw...

The good dinosaur 7/10

Not the best of efforts by Pixar, the Animation and scenery is gorgeous, but the story and characters are a bit flat and the humor feels forced. People probably judge it harsher because Inside out was so damn good.

But all said and done, Sam Elliot as a dinosaur? that's a 10/10.

San Andreas -

It is one of those movies that is so bad that it is fun to watch. Plot similar to 2012, his wife is seeing someone else and about to loose his kids and he must go and rescue them.

The movie is based around a family that cares about nobody else but themselves.

Rock a rescue helicopter pilot goes solo for some reason post an earthquake only to conveniently find that another earthquake has hit and his wife is in a restaurant in a building at a floor very conveniently close to the terrace. She very conveniently survives unlike others who don't survive. Rock comes to the rescue and saves his wife. His daughter on the other hand very conveniently meets a guy and his younger brother minutes before an earthquake strikes the city she is in. The brothers very conveniently arrive in the nick of time to rescue her and her step father to be very conveniently takes off on his own with a shoe missing. Rock finds out his daughter must be saved and conveniently takes his wife along instead of leaving her in a safe spot. With buildings collapsing like a they are made out of cards people are conveniently able to move around without loosing their balance and Rock insists that her daughter go to a high place despite the crashing buildings. Rock's helicopter gearbox gives away just near an open parking lot for a mall and doesn't go into a spin very conveniently until much later. He manages to steal a car and doesn't care about a couple stuck with a broken axle but has to back track and performs a barter with them and cheats them by giving them a stolen car for a plane. The plane is set to tank up but doesn't need to be unplugged when full which was very convenient for them and they take off. In the mean time the youngster gets impaled with a glass which very conveniently enters his leg but if you look at the shape when taken out it wasn't pointed but the wound barely causes any inconvenience as he first hobbles then able to doggy paddle in water and even sprint with a limp. How very convenient must be Wolverine with a slower healing rate. By this point you realize the movie is crap but the daughter has a nice rack and now the first scene that introduced her where she is sunbathing in Mr.Fantastic's house makes sense. With this realization I soldiered on. With Rock deciding to abandon the plane and give his wife an orgasm jumps out of the plane and lands in a stadium. Suddenly he realized he is supposed to rescue people and tells them to go near the stadium and stand under a scoreboard/set of lights that might collapse on them but very conveniently lands a few feet away. Then decides to take a boat but realizes a Tsunami is coming and does what any sane person would do and goes straight for the giant wave and rides it like a pro without a surfboard and very conveniently doesn't get wet in the process despite the close call which took the roof away. Mr. Fantastic gets hit by a container while he was trying to cross a bridge which minutes was shown to have collapsed partially. Oh I completely forgot the military doesn't care and the guy who knows doesn't call them but get's his stundents to hack and send the message across as if the others had noticed by now. The daughter and her pals go to a building, Tsunami hits and then Rock shows up in a boat very conveniently near the very building. The kid very conveniently is carrying a laser pointer that nobody carries since 2000 but since it is the new gen the pointer is green instead of red. They signal Rock turns around and then suddenly the building decides to go under. His daughter very conveniently is only one to get trapped in it. I will skip to the part where her mom rams through the window to take everyone onboard the boat where Rock happily performs CPR on the actress. The scene was supposed to be 5 seconds but Rock cried and said he wanted more so it was extended. If you look closely at Rock just before the last attempt of CPR he is crying knowing it is the last time. Jump forward they are now in a camp and a flag unfurls very conveniently as the movie ends.

Apologies for the long essay but I reviewed it at my convenience.

Conclusion - The movie is called San Andreas and true to it's name it has mayhem and a lot of vehicle hijacking - Rock steals a helicopter from where he is employed, Rock steals a car, Rock robs a couple of a plane by bartering the stolen car for a plane and Rock robs a boat. Rock's daughter robs an electronic store and then from a Fire Truck. Very loosely based on GTA:San Andreas.

After the movie you see Mr.Fantastic coming out from under the container then he sees a poster of the new Fantastic Four and goes back under the container.

The good dinosaur 7/10

Not the best of efforts by Pixar, the Animation and scenery is gorgeous, but the story and characters are a bit flat and the humor feels forced. People probably judge it harsher because Inside out was so damn good.

Agreed on all points. I would rate 6/10.

Movie reminded me of Lion King.
father dies because of son, son get lost, finds some friends, returns
[DOUBLEPOST=1450157797][/DOUBLEPOST]
San Andreas -

Yaar, tumne to ye dil pe le liye. :)

By this point you realize the movie is crap but the daughter has a nice rack and now the first scene that introduced her where she is sunbathing in Mr.Fantastic's house makes sense. With this realization I soldiered on.

Yeah, she looks much better here than in White Collar - and because of her I sat through the whole movie. :D

Agreed on all points. I would rate 6/10.

Movie reminded me of Lion King.
father dies because of son, son get lost, finds some friends, returns
[DOUBLEPOST=1450157797][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yaar, tumne to ye dil pe le liye. :)

Yeah, she looks much better here than in White Collar - and because of her I sat through the whole movie. :D
She has a small role in White collar. She is probably more famous for Percy Jackson or True detective (err maybe infamous :)). She did look incredible in Percy Jackson - the reason i sat through that crap movie.

Last edited:
Finally cleared the backlog.

Vacation - 4/10
Don't bother

Absolutely Anything - 6.5/10
Has a couple of funny moments, TP movie + Kate Beckinsale is aging like fine wine.

Inside Out - 9/10
Masterpiece. Most of the animated movies in the last 4-5 years felt a bit too childish, that wasn't the case with this one.
Also it's good to see Pixar return to form, they still have the ability to pull at your heartstrings. Bing Bong <3

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - 6/10
Had high expectations since it's directed by Guy Ritchie but it had this B-grade, cheesy vibe that I wasn't expecting. Maybe they were going for the feel of the TV show on which it's based ?
Neither boring nor exciting, just a slightly above average flick. Also I spent the entire movie trying to remember where I'd seen the female lead (actress who played the robot in Ex Machina).

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - 7/10
Typical big budget popcorn flick, has all the elements we've come to expect from this series, least intimidating villain though.
Hollywood went bat shit crazy with spy movies this year, there was Spy, Kingsman, U.N.C.L.E, this and now Spectre, at least they were all very different in tone.

Ant Man - 7.5/10
Enjoyed this way more than AoU, I feel that most Marvel flicks take themselves a bit too seriously even though it's a pretty silly universe. This one didn't pretend to be otherwise and the tone was light-hearted throughout the entire movie, heck the final sequence included Thomas the tank engine.
I didn't have any expectations for this one since Paul Rudd never adds anything to the movies he's in but he fits the character pretty well.

Waiting for Sicario and The Martian in the meantime, both should be out before the end of the year. Any reviews for Heist and Everest, worth watching ?
Still haven't decided if I want to catch up on all the Star Wars movies before The Force Awakens releases, here's a guide if someone is in the same boat as me.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-properly-catch-up-on-all-the-star-wars-movies-be-1748097695

P.S. Hateful Eight, The Big Short and The Revenant have all been garnering positive reviews as well, looks like the year is ending on a high note.

Last edited:
Seppuku - 8.5/10
A masterpiece. First hour looked tedious, but it all started to fall in place slowly.
The pace is really slow, but settle in your seats, and this ll be a fabulous treat. Also a very good watch about the Samurai tradition of committing Harakiri before the Meiji time period.

Jaya Ganga - 7/10
Fabulous cinematography, good acting.. and the director fails to stitch an impressive story.

The Big Sleep - 8.2/10
Quality Noir movie, but confusion riddles the script (and the novel as well, with even the author being unsure of the twists and turn he gave lol).
The fast pace doesnt really helps either. But it deserves another watch. Bacall looked delicious.

Katha - 7.5/10
Satisfying watch. One would expect the lead actors to have performed each other's role, but their pedigree shines as they effortlessly etch out the details.

spent the entire movie trying to remember where I'd seen the female lead (actress who played the robot in Ex Machina).
Waiting for Sicario and The Martian in the meantime, both should be out before the end of the year.
Any reviews for Heist and Everest, worth watching ?

Give a shot to A Royal affair. You ll forget Ex Machina or any of her other movie.
Everest i heard was okay/decent, while Heist is meh.

Last edited:
Alicia Vikander was also in the movie Fifth Estate, I only realised it after watching it the second time after I had watched Ex Machina :)

Everest is average. Awesome visuals, not much more. Liked Kingsman and U.N.C.L.E but Spectre was bad. Want to watch Star Wars. Watched the old movies a couple of weeks back. Hope they gave Chewbacca a new voice. His (it?) roar (or something) got on my nerves :).

Rewatched Underworld part 4 recently. Shit movie but i watched it for Kate anyway. Heard Part 5 is coming out next year. Will be another bad movie.

Star Wars: The Force Awakening... 7.5/10

I wanted the villain to be more bad ass. :). Hopefully he will in next installments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back