Red Dead Redemption - Discussion Thread

adilpereira said:
BTW the 360 version looks amazing, PS3 not so much

Im surprised that this is happening although the PS is more powerful.

Seems like the dedicated GPU on the Xbox pays dividends
yes the 360 version looks better than PS3 version but only as 360 was the base platform and it cost's less to develop first on 360 and then port it to PS3 then to develop on PS3 first

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

smoky004 said:
What?? ps3 version is 640p?? Damn!! even GTA4 was 640p.........
its not 640p,both are 720p

Desecrator said:
Congrats! Post your impressions. I decided not to get a copy for the PS3 and rather wait, get an Xbox 360 Arcade and get a copy. :D
have a copy and PS3 version is good,people were just bullshiting around the net.360 version has more AA

Solid_Snake4RD said:
I thought the PS3 version is 640p - the same was for GTA4?

EDIT: WTF! I swear I saw in Wiki before that the resolution for the PS3 version was 640p - someone has definitely changed it! And for GTA4 it seems to have been swapped lol! :O

Params7 said:
the multiplayer vid confirms the game a multimillion seller :)
only sold 3.5m till now

Desecrator said:
LOL PS3 version *is* 640p - the same was for GTA4.
on its not many different sites are giving different opinions

kris30 said:
consoles have more market share at present date and easy to code
no they are not,actually PC is the easiest to code,its the sales that PC fails at

Ethan_Hunt said:
many different sites gave different opinions

360 version had 2x ANti-aliasing

Zero Cool said:
WhaaaaT , no PC ? why does Rockstar hate the PC dudes !
as PC sales are bad

Desecrator said:
I thought the PS3 version is 640p - the same was for GTA4?

EDIT: WTF! I swear I saw in Wiki before that the resolution for the PS3 version was 640p - someone has definitely changed it! And for GTA4 it seems to have been swapped lol! :O
wiki can be edited by you and with the amount of sites giving different opinions,this will happen

its not GTA4 type but 2x ANTI-ALIASING makes alot of difference

my friend has one of these types

Amazon.com: Adaptec AVC-1400 Gamebridge Console Video Game PC Connector / Capture Recorder / USB 2.0 Adapter for X-Box, XBox 360, Playstation 2 / 3 (PS2 / PS3), Wii to PC Computer: AVC-1400 (Retail): Electronics

which screen scptures,tells you video res and fram rate,etc

Solid_Snake4RD said:
google them, i am not going to search and list now

All the links that I'm getting points to the obvious "sub-HD" resolution on the PS3. If you have some link which claims that it is natively rendered at 720p then that would save my time.

This is the first page for Google search result for Red Dead Redemption's PS3 resolution (including the subsequent pages): Google

Pretty much all of them are claiming it to be below 720p resolution. So either all of them are telling the truth or you have a good proof to prove them wrong? Which is it?

Not that it concerns me or anything, as I have already completed this game on the 360.

ethan_hunt said:
all the links that i'm getting points to the obvious "sub-hd" resolution on the ps3. If you have some link which claims that it is natively rendered at 720p then that would save my time.

This is the first page for google search result for red dead redemption's ps3 resolution (including the subsequent pages): google

pretty much all of them are claiming it to be below 720p resolution. So either all of them are telling the truth or you have a good proof to prove them wrong? Which is it?

Not that it concerns me or anything, as i have already completed this game on the 360.
oh i will get some links

Desecrator said:
Beyond3D Forum - View Single Post - List of Rendering Resolutions + basics on hardware scaling, MSAA, framebuffers says it is 640p alright. And they have a pretty comprehensive list of resolutions with any AA applicable for each console game.
they have a good list but that does not make RDR 640p to be true

many of the biggest site just post the info as it comes in so it doesn't make it to be true

you should buy one of the screen capture devices and check on it

Solid_Snake4RD said:
have a copy and PS3 version is good,people were just bullshiting around the net.360 version has more AA

PS3 version definitely does not run at 720p. Just like GTA4 it runs at a Sub-HD resolution (640p) and upscaled to 720p and then a blur filter is applied as post processing step. If nothing else, its obvious from the comparison videos. It has essentially the same differences as with GTA4. The PS3 version does not look bad because of lack of AA, but because of upscaling and what makes it even worse is the blur filter. In fact even Halo 3 has the same issue. It runs at 600p and later upscaled to 720p. It was the first game I got with my 360 and the graphics were so ugly compared to the PS3 games I had already played that it almost made me regret getting the 360 instantly. What made GTA4 on PS3 even worse was the blur effect. Upscaling made it ugly, but the blur filter made it an eye sore to the point that it was impossible for me to play it on PS3. I always wished they gave the user the option to switch of the blur filter.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
many of the biggest site just post the info as it comes in so it doesn't make it to be true

Alright, since you are claiming that it runs at 720p and many of the biggest sites are lying, just let us know where you got your information? How did you confirm it? After RDR came out, the first thing I checked was the comparison videos and since I knew this game uses the same engine as GTA4, I did not want to waste money on another eyesore like PS3 version of GTA4. After looking at various comparison videos and the kind of differences and comparison with GTA4, I am pretty much convinced that some upscaling is definitely taking place. It definitely looks better than GTA4 PS3 version, but I am not convinced that its being rendered at 720p. At this point I would not believe that it runs at 720p even if Rockstar's claims that it.

Desecrator said:
Congrats! Post your impressions. I decided not to get a copy for the PS3 and rather wait, get an Xbox 360 Arcade and get a copy. :D

Have played the game for a few hours yesterday. Personally I found this a much more enjoyable game than GTA 4 so far.

- Graphics are not that great even on XBOX 360, but they are substantially better than GTA4 and overall acceptable for a sandbox game. I would love to see a PC version of this game if only for better graphics.

- Audio/Music is nice. I used my Astro A40 Mix amp to down mix Dolby Digital 5.1 to Dolby Headphone output the same to my JVC HARX900. The surround effect and positional sense is not as good as in some games I played earlier. I guess Dolby Headphone does not work great with all games.

- Controls are alright. Nothing to complain about.

- Game play is great. Lots of stuff to do not a lot of it is boring. If you don't want to do missions, you can idle around killing animals, birds for target practice and skinning them/collecting feathers. One issue I had is that there is no way of knowing from a distance whether a guy is an enemy/outlaw unless you look at your mini map. After killing a few outlaws, I accidentally killed a good guy thinking he was another outlaw and got a bounty on my head. Another irritating thing is the horse throwing you off when ever it runs out of stamina. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Overall I think its a great rendition of the wild west.

Thanks a lot Ajay sir! Just got hold of Bayonetta - installing the update as we speak. :p

Solid_Snake4RD said:
they have a good list but that does not make RDR 640p to be true

OK so how did you verify it wasn't? I believe you have one of those screen capture devices around?

Lord Nemesis said:
PS3 version definitely does not run at 720p. Just like GTA4 it runs at a Sub-HD resolution (640p) and upscaled to 720p and then a blur filter is applied as post processing step. If nothing else, its obvious from the comparison videos. It has essentially the same differences as with GTA4. The PS3 version does not look bad because of lack of AA, but because of upscaling and what makes it even worse is the blur filter. In fact even Halo 3 has the same issue. It runs at 600p and later upscaled to 720p. It was the first game I got with my 360 and the graphics were so ugly compared to the PS3 games I had already played that it almost made me regret getting the 360 instantly. What made GTA4 on PS3 even worse was the blur effect. Upscaling made it ugly, but the blur filter made it an eye sore to the point that it was impossible for me to play it on PS3. I always wished they gave the user the option to switch of the blur filter.
How bad is the ps3 version???? don't have xbox so was thinking abt the ps3 version? is the ps3 version worth picking up despite the sub standard gfx considering the gameplay ??

^^ Check the comparison video's. It looks better than GTA 4 on PS3 but still has the same issues, (up-scaling and blur effect). GTA 4 was unplayable for me on PS3 (the blur filter literally caused a strain on my eyes), but then a lot of people did buy GTA 4 for PS3 and completed it. I guess it's a question of personal choice. Some people even preferred the PS3 version because of the smoothing effect and higher frame rates. but still if you leave PS3 fanboi's aside, I see a lot of people who have the PS3 version are complaining about poor graphics. Bottomline, I would probably not have got the PS3 version if I had only the PS3, but if you did not find GTA4 on PS3 bad, then you won't find RDR bad at all. As far as game play is concerned, its definitely great.

Lord Nemesis said:
Another irritating thing is the horse throwing you off when ever it runs out of stamina. Kind of silly if you ask me.
That happens when you press A repeatedly . Whenever you are heading for any destination Pressing A in each 2 seconds should give you maximum speed. I wonder why have they given the stamina when pressing A repeatedly doesn't increase the speed anyway.

But the game is very enjoyable. I still have not done any bad deed that I could get a bounty on my head but I am sure that will be even more fun :p

Definitely one of the best sandbox games I have played till now.

BTW I wanna try my hands on Poker, But should one be familiar with Poker if he wants to play within game?

starchazer said:
BTW I wanna try my hands on Poker, But should one be familiar with Poker if he wants to play within game?

To a certain extent, yes. Else the in-game tutorial should help you. You need to know the basics of the game. I never understood how to play it, but I was pretty familiar with Blackjack, so it was easy for me. Liar's Dice is another money raking activity. It's very easy once you understand the concept and dam fun.

starchazer said:
That happens when you press A repeatedly . Whenever you are heading for any destination Pressing A in each 2 seconds should give you maximum speed. I wonder why have they given the stamina when pressing A repeatedly doesn't increase the speed anyway.

Yes I know that, I can understand the horse slowing down when it runs out of stamina, but throwing you down is overkill and kind of silly. Did you ever see a horse throw down a rider every time it gets tired.

Back