Red Dead Redemption - Discussion Thread

udayrulz said:
^ Have you finished it ? I found the last few missions boring .

I am about 70% though. Actually I am not bothered too much about the main storyline right now. There is a lot of stuff to do in the world and there are stranger missions as well.
Aman27deep said:
GFX only 6? is it crappy?
GFX is not exactly crappy since I have seen a lot worse on 360, but its not among the best either. Its somewhat like prototype in that aspect. The graphics look dated, but not bad enough to spoil the game for you.

Ethan_Hunt said:
And I suppose you have done that?
my friend has it,and it tells you the current framrate,res,etc

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Lord Nemesis said:
PS3 version definitely does not run at 720p. Just like GTA4 it runs at a Sub-HD resolution (640p) and upscaled to 720p and then a blur filter is applied as post processing step. If nothing else, its obvious from the comparison videos.

what is obvious from the comparision videos that you don't understand how much 2x Anti-Aliasing can change a game

It has essentially the same differences as with GTA4. The PS3 version does not look bad because of lack of AA, but because of upscaling and what makes it even worse is the blur filter.

that is just your opinin
In fact even Halo 3 has the same issue. It runs at 600p and later upscaled to 720p.

we know that but compare it to RDR
It was the first game I got with my 360 and the graphics were so ugly compared to the PS3 games I had already played that it almost made me regret getting the 360 instantly.

what does that has to do with this
What made GTA4 on PS3 even worse was the blur effect. Upscaling made it ugly, but the blur filter made it an eye sore to the point that it was impossible for me to play it on PS3. I always wished they gave the user the option to switch of the blur filter.

GTA4 was pretty ****ed up but why are you trying to prove it that just because GTA4 was bad RDR is the same.
Alright, since you are claiming that it runs at 720p and many of the biggest sites are lying,

i am not saying they are lying.but those sites have posted wrong info even though incidentally and alot of rumors.they do this all the time

just let us know where you got your information? How did you confirm it?

i also first thought they did the same thing as GTA4 but then i searched some forums,you can do it yourself,google them.they said different.

then i got the game and one of my friends has this screen capture device i listed before that also tells you the original resolution,fram-rate,etc

you want to do it,buy one and test it yourself
After RDR came out, the first thing I checked was the comparison videos and since I knew this game uses the same engine as GTA4, I did not want to waste money on another eyesore like PS3 version of GTA4.

the same engine doesn't mean they couldn't improve the PS3 version.GTA4 was only hampered as PS3 CELL architecture was new then and people didn't understand it.alot has changed from then
After looking at various comparison videos and the kind of differences and comparison with GTA4, I am pretty much convinced that some upscaling is definitely taking place. It definitely looks better than GTA4 PS3 version, but I am not convinced that its being rendered at 720p. At this point I would not believe that it runs at 720p even if Rockstar's claims that it.

just looking at the comparison videos,you can be easily fooled,check the thing yourself and you will know.

Desecrator said:
OK so how did you verify it wasn't? I believe you have one of those screen capture devices around?
you can verify it yourself,just buy one and prove yourself wrong

and i think i pretty clearly said that my friend had it.what the hell are you trying to achieve with your latter sentence,huh?

I have seriously not touched the Game yet....finishing Transformers:WOC & POP:FS on my gaming notebook connected to LCD TV ;)

but IMO the traveling part sucks...yeah i agree that you can just setup up base camp & travel faster, but still it sucks...

The storyline is nothing great, except for few characters, its same...ride from one point to another in between shoot some bandits....

One thing is good that the story line is woven well into characters and few characters does have strong storyline....

@Solid_Snake4RD: Very well, all I am trying to say is cut down all this crap and give us a screenshot which actually proves the resolution. If your friend has the device, it must be pretty easy to do that right?

Ethan_Hunt said:
But what about the LCD TV? :(
I think that can wait. Perhaps August end or early Sept. :D

Desecrator said:
@Solid_Snake4RD: Very well, all I am trying to say is cut down all this crap and give us a screenshot which actually proves the resolution. If your friend has the device, it must be pretty easy to do that right?

yeah that will happen when i visit him

Solid_Snake4RD said:
my friend has it,and it tells you the current framrate,res,etc

Unless the capture device directly picks the data from the GPU frame buffer before the post rendering steps, you don't have accurate data. We are talking about rendering resolution, not the output resolutions which are in any case 720p. Are you sure your friend has the right kind of capture device.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
what is obvious from the comparision videos that you don't understand how much 2x Anti-Aliasing can change a game

You obviously don't understand either up-scaling or Aliasing. The artifacts caused by them are different. Anti-Aliasing does not magically improve everything regardless of the kind of artifacts. There are instances where Anti-Aliasing can worsen the IQ. For the record I have been using Graphics Accelerators for more than 12 years now and since before they were capable of AA. I do understand the effect's of AA.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
that is just your opinin

And the opinion of a lot of people who have conducted the comparisons.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
GTA4 was pretty ****ed up but why are you trying to prove it that just because GTA4 was bad RDR is the same.

the same engine doesn't mean they couldn't improve the PS3 version.GTA4 was only hampered as PS3 CELL architecture was new then and people didn't understand it.alot has changed from then

They have the same engine and the hardware still have the same limitations. Often times engines have properties that can be noticed across games, for example a UT3 Engine game can be easily identified because of the properties it has (including certain visual defects). Yes, engines can be improved/enhanced upon which is why I looked for comparisons of the game rather than directly concluding based GTA4. Even if I could not conclude the rendering resolution, I can see the effects of up-scaling. The effects of Aliasing are different.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
i also first thought they did the same thing as GTA4 but then i searched some forums,you can do it yourself,google them.they said different.

Yes there are a few site's which blindly stated that the game runs at 720p (without any credible source or proof), however if you google a bit more, there are even more places who say it runs at sub-hd and there are credible sources who have used various means to arrive at the rendering resolution.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
then i got the game and one of my friends has this screen capture device i listed before that also tells you the original resolution,fram-rate,etc

you want to do it,buy one and test it yourself
you can verify it yourself,just buy one and prove yourself wrong

and i think i pretty clearly said that my friend had it.what the hell are you trying to achieve with your latter sentence,huh?
I think you got something wrong here. Everyone here is already convinced for various reasons that the game runs sub-hd on PS3. We don't need to buy anything and check for ourselves. A visual comparison and reliable sources (where they had means to test it properly) are enough to convince us that the game is not running at same res as the 360 version. It is you who is contradicting the general opinion. It is you who needs to provide proof (either by yourself or via a credible source) for your contradiction to be taken seriously.

Lord Nemesis said:
I think you got something wrong here. Everyone here is already convinced for various reasons that the game runs sub-hd on PS3. We don't need to buy anything and check for ourselves. A visual comparison and reliable sources (where they had means to test it properly) are enough to convince us that the game is not running at same res as the 360 version. It is you who is contradicting the general opinion. It is you who needs to provide proof (either by yourself or via a credible source) for your contradiction to be taken seriously.

BOOM! End of story.

Lord Nemesis said:
Unless the capture device directly picks the data from the GPU frame buffer before the post rendering steps, you don't have accurate data. We are talking about rendering resolution, not the output resolutions which are in any case 720p. Are you sure your friend has the right kind of capture device.

yes my friend has the correct device as it has been tested on some other games like ghostbusters

and its just not the GPU in the PS3,the CELL also does some graphic processing just for knowledge

You obviously don't understand either up-scaling or Aliasing. The artifacts caused by them are different. Anti-Aliasing does not magically improve everything regardless of the kind of artifacts. There are instances where Anti-Aliasing can worsen the IQ. For the record I have been using Graphics Accelerators for more than 12 years now and since before they were capable of AA. I do understand the effect's of AA.

if you did,you would know that alot of visuals can be improved by 2x AA.

And the opinion of a lot of people who have conducted the comparisons.

right,you just see the clip or the game just just find out the res.it can also be that you think that 360 is better as 2x AA is applied but you think that it has better res

/QUOTE]They have the same engine and the hardware still have the same limitations. Often times engines have properties that can be noticed across games, for example a UT3 Engine game can be easily identified because of the properties it has (including certain visual defects). Yes, engines can be improved/enhanced upon which is why I looked for comparisons of the game rather than directly concluding based GTA4.[/QUOTE]

you were directly comparing it to GTA4,you actually took it as one of your proving point that just because GTA4 was same level,so is RDR but you don't have anything else

and about your "limitations" comment.yes both have the same hardware but they were fully utilized when GTA4 launched so how does this prove anything and most of all PS3 was so difficult to develop back then

Even if I could not conclude the rendering resolution, I can see the effects of up-scaling. The effects of Aliasing are different.

how can you see the effects of up-scaling

as PS3 version was a port and 360 was the base version so obviously they worked on 360 more.

Yes there are a few site's which blindly stated that the game runs at 720p (without any credible source or proof),

wat credible source did any of those 640p claiming wwebsite had?there was nothing more than the screenshots and comparision videos

however if you google a bit more, there are even more places who say it runs at sub-hd and there are credible sources who have used various means to arrive at the rendering resolution.

there are no credible sources until they prove that its 640p,screenshot and video comparison doesn't make them credible.

and many sources have just followed up on the other claims.
I think you got something wrong here. Everyone here is already convinced for various reasons that the game runs sub-hd on PS3.

everybody is conviced,is that your way to proof that it is 640p on PS3

they are only conviced cause they just read an article about it and looked at some screenshots,those screenshots can't tell the difference other than the PS3 version being seen as being underworked
We don't need to buy anything and check for ourselves. A visual comparison and reliable sources (where they had means to test it properly) are enough to convince us that the game is not running at same res as the 360 version.

there are no reliable sources,believe me.

IGN,gamespot and other big sources that you may claim of have gotten fed money alot of time.so don't just blindly believe them

It is you who is contradicting the general opinion.

so just because i contradict it,i am wrong.....................lol

It is you who needs to provide proof (either by yourself or via a credible source) for your contradiction to be taken seriously.

first you provide me a source and by source i mean anything which can measure the resolution not just sceenshots

Ethan_Hunt said:
BOOM! End of story.
WOW that really tells you that you don't think on your own

Solid_Snake4RD said:
WOW that really tells you that you don't think on your own

This would have been so much easier, if you could have given us one proof of the game running @720 on your "friends capture card". You may have a mobile phone with a camera, YES? Of course you would. Just record a small video or capture a pic displaying the resolution and frame rates, as you claim, then come back here. It's a small thing to ask, as I don't have any friend who has a HD capture card and since yours does, this would be a much easier task. Till then, I'll just sit back and enjoy; no offense.

Desecrator said:
So, no one completed the game yet? :p

Not me....my PS3 again conked off....yea...2nd YLOD...i guess the ventilation was not good enuff also there is a chance of the technician not doing proper work on PS3 Mobo....so he is offering me a Brand New PS3 250GB slim for 600dhs ;) instead of repairing it again :rofl:

that wud come to 7638 INR with SONY's One Year Warranty.

xXx said:
Not me....my PS3 again conked off....yea...2nd YLOD...i guess the ventilation was not good enuff also there is a chance of the technician not doing proper work on PS3 Mobo....so he is offering me a Brand New PS3 250GB slim for 600dhs ;) instead of repairing it again :rofl:

that wud come to 7638 INR with SONY's One Year Warranty.

Holy crap! That's great. Is it the God of War 3 bundle or just a standard pack?

^standard....pack.... :p

there are 2 options...PS3 phat 80Gb model (500dhs) & PS3 slim 250gb model (600 dhs)...which one now ?

I will b buyin it tonight itself :p

xXx said:
^standard....pack.... :p
there are 2 options...PS3 phat 80Gb model (500dhs) & PS3 slim 250gb model (600 dhs)...which one now ?

I will b buyin it tonight itself :p
Xbox 360 Arc...Errr...Get the 250GB Slim one. :p

Back