ex-Mod
Home page: Red Faction Underground Community

Genre: Third-person shooter

Release date: 17th May 2011

Platforms: PC, PS3, X360

Developer: Volition Inc.

E3 2010 trailer:

[youtube]XjxMuMOH08s[/youtube]

Prologue: Half a century after the Red Faction resistance and their Marauder allies freed Mars from the brutal Earth Defense Force, harmony on Mars is again threatened but this time by a lethal force shrouded in mystery.

When the massive Terraformer that supplies Mars with its Earth-like air and weather is destroyed, the atmosphere turns to chaos, super-tornados and lightning storms engulf the planet. To survive, the Colonists flee to the underground mines and build a network of habitable caves.

Five years later, Darius Mason, grandson of Martian Revolution heroes Alec Mason and Samanya, runs a lucrative business from Bastion, underground hub of Colonist activity. Mining, scavenging, mercenary work--if the job is dangerous, Darius is your man. Few sane people now venture to the ravaged surface, aside from contractors like Darius and the smugglers who run goods between the settlements.

When Darius is tricked into reopening a mysterious shaft in an old Marauder temple, he releases a long-dormant evil and unleashes Armageddon on Mars. As Colonist and Marauder settlements are torn asunder, only Darius and the Red Faction can save mankind. The battle will take them across the storm-blasted planet--and below it, to the very heart of the unspeakable threat.

Gameplay demo:

[youtube]9I41DRJ43Kg[/youtube]

For those residing in the US of A, here's a chance to get the hands-on before the rest of the world does and play the role as a focus tester at Volition Inc.'s studio at Champaign, IL. stalker, you listening? :D

More details here: Red Faction Underground Community | Enter Your Date of Birth

No mention regarding the demo though.

It doesn't end here. A Red Faction movie titled Red Faction: Origins is in the making starring Robert Patrick (T1000 in the Terminator 2: Judgment Day) as Alec Mason and Brian J. Smith (Stargate Universe fame) as Alec's son Jake. The film shall act as an interquel, set in-between the events of Red Faction: Guerrilla and Armageddon. The movie should be premiered in SyFy network around the same time, RF:A hits the stores.

Just completed Red Faction: Guerilla, and I loved every bit of it. Was super excited towards the last few missions. Right from the super-destructive environments to the walker to the the thermobaric rocket launcher and Samanya ofc. Got to play the DLC - Demons of the badlands now.

The Havok physics running on the CPU. This is probably one of the rare games which never realized XfireX.

^^^LOL so did it do to my rig as well but then I had no choice and decided to lower the settings a bit and play. There were a few updates released. Not sure if you patched the game prior to playing. :p

These were my settings:

AA: OFF

SHADOW DETAIL: LOW

DOF: TRUE

MOTION BLUR: TRUE

PARTICLE DETAIL: MEDIUM

AMBIENT OCCLUSION: FALSE

SUN SHAFTS: FALSE

RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

V-SYNC: TRUE

The last 2 if disabled, yields a lot more frames. Ambient occlusion particularly. Fcuks the rig.

Allwyn I've been asking you to overclock your CPU and GPU. There IS a definite advantage when you overclock your CPU to 4GHz. Requires an aftermarket cooler though.

Freaky said:
What do you have ? A neanderthal ? :p

It played fine on my Opty 175, 2 gigs of RAM and a 4850

I think the E6300 processor was a major bottle-neck for my 4850 back then. Didn't try it on the E8400 though. But I remember frame dropping like bird poop as soon as I would destroy some large structures. I guess my CPU was really arsed to handle the heavy physics calculations. The 360 version demo ran smoothly, which made me regret playing this game on the PC.

Gannu said:
Allwyn I've been asking you to overclock your CPU and GPU. There IS a definite advantage when you overclock your CPU to 4GHz. Requires an aftermarket cooler though.

I have Accelero S1 Rev2 on my 4850 since almost a 2 years now. The E8400 is cooled using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev2. No intention of over-clocking any of them, for now.

sugat123 said:
:S I am running the game on its maximum settings and still it runs like a charm. Even my old graphic card 9500 GT gave solid frame rates.
Never completed the first game (even after buying an online cd key), but i can also agree, game ran fine on max @ 1280*1024 on old rig with (e4300 and HD 4670) at around 45+ FPS.

jojothedragon said:
WTH! finish it man. You are going to be amazed by the details in which the buildings blow up!
I have bad company 2 for that :p Well back then i was a major CSS whore. used to play online for like 8 hours a day, and had a tiny hard disc (149 GB) and had to keep deleting games often, i'll give it another go then i think.

^BC2 wouldn't hold a candle to the Geomod 2.0 engine used on the RF:G. Armageddon is going to take that to a whole new level with the Geomod 2.5 engine. :)

Aman play the game. It isn't too late yet. And your present system would be able to possibly max out on the settings. You wouldn't want to play Armageddon without knowing what happened in the previous title.

Desecrator said:
^BC2 wouldn't hold a candle to the Geomod 2.0 engine used on the RF:G. Armageddon is going to take that to a whole new level with the Geomod 2.5 engine. :)

Aman play the game. It isn't too late yet. And your present system would be able to possibly max out on the settings. You wouldn't want to play Armageddon without knowing what happened in the previous title.
Ah okay :p I think i remember now why i left it, i felt it was a little repetitive. OK installing again now. Will check the multiplayer first to see if anyone plays a game online from 2009.

Some quick updates:

Red Faction: Origins movie to debut on SyFy in March 2011: Red Faction: Origins movie to debut on SyFy in March 2011 | Joystiq

This March -- for the first time ever -- you may have a non-ironic interest in watching a SyFy original movie. That's because the live-action Red Faction movie, now called Red Faction: Origins, will be airing on the network during that month, coinciding with the release of Red Faction: Armageddon. So that's what that other domain registration was about!

The two-hour "pilot" movie (meaning it'll be a series if it does well) takes place between the Guerrilla and Armageddon games, focusing on Alec Mason's last surviving son Jake, who fights against a new human army dedicated to destroying the Red Faction. Somehow, Jake's sister has gotten involved with this group. We can assume because it's a SyFy movie that she's also been cursed to turn into a weresnake at night, or that she arrives on a train filled with spiders who have been snacking on nitroglycerin during the journey

which got delayed to May: Red Faction: Origins film to be released in May instead of March | VG247

Quick look at Red Faction Armageddon: Quick Look EX: Red Faction: Armageddon - Giant Bomb

Mute the volume, as it's those roid raged Giant Bomb homos yapping away. The 360 version looks decent enough, with slight signs of tearing.

PC boxart:

71974247.jpg

Back