Reliance Jio introduces new unlimited 5G plans to be available from 3rd July

Jio knows it's sitting on a duopoly/triopoly market and is capitalising on it. Airtel will blindly follow suit in a few weeks. Vi also has no option and infact will be glad to hike their prices, and keep it a little lower in anticipation of regaining it's lost market share, especially with minimum 5G rollout obligation now satisfied.

As another user pointed out, consolidation of players, because Jio knew the indian consumer would fall for freebies(an excellent marketing strategy and annihilation of competitors who didn't have deep pockets), is the sole reason for all this.

The Indian consumer is currently the frog that was inside water that was slowly heated until it started boiling.

They created a market and are now holding it by it's balls.

I don't think TRAI will intervene. Even if they did attempt to, all these companies would have to do, would be to show global data prices and say we are cheaper.

Last edited:
@enthusiast29 @badwhitevision While I understand the gravity of the situation, I disagree with the extortion and frog remarks. Back in 2015, before Jio entered the telecom market, the average cost of one gigabyte (GB) of mobile data was Rs 226. Yes, that was in 2015, a year before the launch of Jio. Those were the days when people would visit the neighbourhood store every few weeks to replenish their phone's storage with new music and films. All that changed with Jio's launch in late 2016.

Without Jio, we'd probably be living in the 200 Rs/per GB era. Credit where it's due, Jio brought a massive welcome change which ultimately forced the prices to fall to Jio's level.

That being said, these hikes are indeed heartbreaking. I am not sure where we are headed from here. I know I just disagreed with the frog remark but in the last line, I reagree that we all are frogs now.

Last edited:
Without Jio, we'd probably be living in the 200 Rs/per GB era. Credit where it's due, Jio brought a massive welcome change which ultimately forced the prices to fall to Jio's level.
Without Jio we would still be in an era where validity would be lifelong and incoming always free. No need to recharge at all unless you call.
Yes, maybe data would cost a bit more but I refuse to believe with evolving technology and internet media such as streaming companies wouldn't have made better data plans.
We would still be in an era where there would be healthy competition between service providers.

Right now lower and middle class people who have very less outgoing calls are forced to pay full plan price just for keeping their number active and be able to receive calls.
They just use data to be connected with whatsapp and maybe use UPI.

So, No! Jio has not done anything except gather customers, wipe the competition with free offers and introducing unified "unlimited" calling plans and making validity actually cost something to the customer.
Only companies that survived were with strong numbers already. They now have a duopoly to do anything.

I actually miss the days when I could just recharge with 50 INR and keep the number running for months/year as my calling was extremely minimal. It would only cost 1p/sec or even lower with some providers like Aircel (RIP).
We usually got 100-200 SMS free and some additional minutes. We even had a choice to keep multiple service providers with different SIMs since the plans were actually affordable.

Anyways I would go on and on about this so that's it.

Without Jio we would still be in an era where validity would be lifelong and incoming always free. No need to recharge at all unless you call.
Yes, maybe data would cost a bit more but I refuse to believe with evolving technology and internet media such as streaming companies wouldn't have made better data plans.
We would still be in an era where there would be healthy competition between service providers.

Right now lower and middle class people who have very less outgoing calls are forced to pay full plan price just for keeping their number active and be able to receive calls.
They just use data to be connected with whatsapp and maybe use UPI.

So, No! Jio has not done anything except gather customers, wipe the competition with free offers and introducing unified "unlimited" calling plans and making validity actually cost something to the customer.
Only companies that survived were with strong numbers already. They now have a duopoly to do anything.
Jio played the game of making every Indian person habitual for data and to flal for it and that was there plan ever since 4g. They made every Indian almost dependable on data that even iidiots today prefer to make a whatsapp call than a basic voice call just coz that has become a TREND!

And now even a beggar cannot survive without data and hence, even if they hike the tariff to even 9999, loyal jio bhakts or fanboys wont mind paying for it or even take loans!
Typical tactics and chu people fell for it.
Jio played it well though.
I actually miss the days when I could just recharge with 50 INR and keep the number running for months/year as my calling was extremely minimal. It would only cost 1p/sec or even lower with some providers like Aircel (RIP).
We usually got 100-200 SMS free and some additional minutes. We even had a choice to keep multiple service providers with different SIMs since the plans were actually affordable.
Exactly! And other Telecom providers were just fine with it but Jio disrupted the market making it greedy and crap at the same time.
I was happy to RC my secondary or tertiary sim with a 99 re plan for 3 month validity etc. But now have to forcefully WASTE 3x times the amount just to keep the no. active.

This is a valid point and I too have a problem with not having options any longer and being forced to dish out a thousand more every year for a second sim. Even for senior family members who don't need internet. TRAI needs to intervene and force every telecom operator to avail such amenities. There is no way around. We need that back.
Each of us is projecting one-sided POVs here. And this, I don't completely agree with. Do we need those 50 rupee mith months long validity? Hell yes. For secondary phones we definitely need that thing back. But do we all talk less on calls? Nope. I talk a lot and I'll probably end up paying 300-400 per month if they start charging wrt. talktime. Do we all want to go back to the sec based charges era? Nope. Do we all want to go back to the dongle internet era? NOPE! There were millions among us who absolutely depended on internet cafes to have any kind of internet connection at all. I remember having to pay around 600 per month for pathetic broadband speeds. That added up to 7200 per year for atrocious internet. So again, it's not a black and white scenario at all. I have benefitted massively thanks to Jio. No shame in praising where it's due. Not a shill btw and I absolutely hate this hike. Probably going back to BSNL later.

We are in a not so good situation right now but we need to find a way out. How I don't know. TRAI needs to bring change.
And now even a beggar cannot survive without data and hence, even if they hike the tariff to even 9999, loyal jio bhakts or fanboys wont mind paying for it or even take loans!
Typical tactics and chu people fell for it.
When did 'any' Indian defend 'any' of these price hikes? Can you point out any such bhakt aside from telecom employees and Ambani himself?
And other Telecom providers were just fine with it but Jio disrupted the market making it greedy and crap at the same time.
Again, as someone who used to pay 600 per month for embarrassment in the name of internet and extra validity + talk time on top of that, I disagree.

Everybody here is presenting a black and white POV. We need to find a solution for the problem at hand.

Everybody here is presenting a black and white POV. We need to find a solution for the problem at hand.
You can't ,that's the thing about monopoly or duopoly as we have now, i have to pay 450 rs just to keep my upi active and few calls i barely use any data since i have a wifi like most people here,
not to mention the stupid validity recharge that has became a compulsion to keep your sim card alive ,which started at 36 and are above 100 now

while I agree that Jio/Airtel increasing tariffs this aggressively is taking advantage of the situation and TRAI needs to unfuck this situation ASAP after they screwed around with AGR back in 2016, peeps here are really romanticizing the past, for me instead of 10 regional operators taking turns screwing me over now there are only 3 doing the screwing, I dunno about y'all but I remember paying 300 for a GB of data, balance recharges of 50Rs min for calls, my mother had one of those 10p/min plans for 120-200? dunno the exact price and on top of that she had to balance topups and let's not forget those state roaming plans. All in all, we easily used to spend 300-400/month for my mother, 500-600 on my father, and me and my sibling used to get those 50rs topups every month and we used to do missed calls on our parents phone (damn, the nostalgia!).

Maybe the pinch of lacking internet for T1 cities folks wasn't felt because even back then they had decent broadband even if speeds weren't up to par with what we have now. But my father used to spend 2-3k/month (clubbing those dongle plans, I think it was 650-ish for like 5 gigs of data?) for me so that I could learn from internet and basic browsing, and even then it used to be a measly 15-20gigs even after paying so much, I probably was the only one who even had regular access to internet in my entire school and probably one of the few in my entire town. Peeps who say otherwise are either delusional or just plain ****ing idiots.

As for the other ****ing idiots, the ones crying about how the lower/lower middle-class can't live without internet and that even beggars are addicted to net, do y'all ****ing realize just how entitled y'all sound? my help teaches her kids via youtube playlists, there's a guy we hire for our business who used to do tiktoks (when it wasnt banned) and actually made some money off of it, our muneem (accountant)'s son learned programming from YT and uses those online compilers to test his code out. peeps have access to so much knowledge at the tip of their fingers and thats something we take for granted, and we can make as much fun of whatsapp university as we want, but atleast peeps are aware of whats happening in India now, every nukkad guy can debate why BJP is bad (for them) or why Congress are idiots or whatever just because they have this info readily available to them, scandals are not hidden where previously newspapers were paid off and the related people threatened, now everyone can post an expose on the internet and no news can be suppressed, people are aware in these times, I won't debate whether its good or bad but its something at the very least

The only thing I miss is the fact you didnt need to recharge to maintain validity of your sim, but for that I have shifted to BSNL, I dont really give a shit about calling or whatever (and surprisingly BSNL is really decent, unlike the horror stories that peeps tell online, atleast for North India which is where I mostly travel and Bangalore), I just need messages for which its enough, my primary SIM is a Jio and its been good to me so far.

while I agree that Jio/Airtel increasing tariffs this aggressively is taking advantage of the situation and TRAI needs to unfuck this situation ASAP after they screwed around with AGR back in 2016, peeps here are really romanticizing the past, for me instead of 10 regional operators taking turns screwing me over now there are only 3 doing the screwing, I dunno about y'all but I remember paying 300 for a GB of data, balance recharges of 50Rs min for calls, my mother had one of those 10p/min plans for 120-200? dunno the exact price and on top of that she had to balance topups and let's not forget those state roaming plans. All in all, we easily used to spend 300-400/month for my mother, 500-600 on my father, and me and my sibling used to get those 50rs topups every month and we used to do missed calls on our parents phone (damn, the nostalgia!).

Maybe the pinch of lacking internet for T1 cities folks wasn't felt because even back then they had decent broadband even if speeds weren't up to par with what we have now. But my father used to spend 2-3k/month (clubbing those dongle plans, I think it was 650-ish for like 5 gigs of data?) for me so that I could learn from internet and basic browsing, and even then it used to be a measly 15-20gigs even after paying so much, I probably was the only one who even had regular access to internet in my entire school and probably one of the few in my entire town. Peeps who say otherwise are either delusional or just plain ****ing idiots.

As for the other ****ing idiots, the ones crying about how the lower/lower middle-class can't live without internet and that even beggars are addicted to net, do y'all ****ing realize just how entitled y'all sound? my help teaches her kids via youtube playlists, there's a guy we hire for our business who used to do tiktoks (when it wasnt banned) and actually made some money off of it, our muneem (accountant)'s son learned programming from YT and uses those online compilers to test his code out. peeps have access to so much knowledge at the tip of their fingers and thats something we take for granted, and we can make as much fun of whatsapp university as we want, but atleast peeps are aware of whats happening in India now, every nukkad guy can debate why BJP is bad (for them) or why Congress are idiots or whatever just because they have this info readily available to them, scandals are not hidden where previously newspapers were paid off and the related people threatened, now everyone can post an expose on the internet and no news can be suppressed, people are aware in these times, I won't debate whether its good or bad but its something at the very least

The only thing I miss is the fact you didnt need to recharge to maintain validity of your sim, but for that I have shifted to BSNL, I dont really give a shit about calling or whatever (and surprisingly BSNL is really decent, unlike the horror stories that peeps tell online, atleast for North India which is where I mostly travel and Bangalore), I just need messages for which its enough, my primary SIM is a Jio and its been good to me so far.
So glad to have this post here. I don't have any fond/romantic/nostalgic memory associated with the pre-Jio era. I never liked the fact that there was a clock running, forcing me to pay on per sec/min basis to talk to someone on call. Maybe those who come from financially well off families didn't have any problems with this but the common citizen surely did. Hell, I know people who would purposefully initiate "missed calls" from their end so that the other person gets charged for the 5-10 min talk they had. Nothing to cherish about this situation at all. "Hang up the call immediately, and finish the talk as soon as you possibly can. Always try to give missed calls." -- This was the mantra from the romantic era. Nothing, absolutely nothing to reminisce.

Now, the internet part, Jesus, I think people here come from a different India. The amount of money we have wasted for insanely priced atrocious internet can never be forgotten. To think that they'd magically reduce the price without being forced to-- I don't know what to say about that. Internet was eye-wateringly expensive and completely out of reach for most. Mobile internet was like a distant dream. So was general internet. I'd not be here on this forum without Jio, not kidding. Dongles were designed to loot. Without something like Jio, we'd probably still be paying 50 rupees per GB, if we agree by the notion put above by the other member above, that maybe data would cost a bit more but with evolving technology and internet media such as streaming companies would have made better data plans. I fear it wouldn't be just a bit more without Jio. I refuse to believe that 230-250 per GB in 2015 would fall anything below 40-50 in 2024 or maybe 30 in the best case scenario. That's me being generous and giving major players like Airtel the benefit of doubt. Without Jio, imo nobody would have any initiative/reason to reduce price as drastically as it has fallen. Reminder that you get 912.5 GB of data for the 2999 pack. That's a grand total of 3.28 rupees per GB of data, down from 230+ back in 2015. With the revised plan of 3599 for the same amount data, you're paying 3.94 Rupees per GB of data. The difference is astronomical. Not that I am in favour of this hike at all but just saying.

Again, I am not a shill or bhakt. The first fix we urgently need is reasonably priced annual plans and the "option" to pay just for validity and talktime without data.

Last edited:
So glad to have this post here. I don't have any fond/romantic/nostalgic memory associated with the pre-Jio era. I never liked the fact that there was a clock running, forcing me to pay on per sec/min basis to talk to someone on call. Maybe those who come from financially well off families didn't have any problems with this but the common citizen surely did. Hell, I know people who would purposefully initiate "missed calls" from their end so that the other person gets charged for the 5-10 min talk they had. Nothing to cherish about this situation at all. "Hang up the call immediately, and finish the talk as soon as you possibly can. Always try to give missed calls." -- This was the mantra from the romantic era. Nothing, absolutely nothing to reminisce.
lol yeah, we used to get my mother's phone for an hour daily where we could talk to our friends or whatever, otherwise its the 50Rs talktime where a minute used to cost 30-40 paise, we didnt get any of the talktime recharges (the one that reduced the cost to 5-10paise/min) because we were too young to use phones.
Now, the internet part, Jesus, I think people here come from a different India. The amount of money we have wasted for insanely priced atrocious internet can never be forgotten. To think that they'd magically reduce the price without being forced to-- I don't know what to say about that. Internet was eye-wateringly expensive and completely out of reach for most. Mobile internet was like a distant dream. So was general internet. I'd not be here on this forum without Jio, not kidding. Dongles were designed to loot. Without something like Jio, we'd probably still be paying 50 rupees per GB, if we agree by the notion put above by the other member above, that maybe data would cost a bit more but with evolving technology and internet media such as streaming companies would have made better data plans. I fear it wouldn't be just a bit more without Jio. I refuse to believe that 230-250 per GB in 2015 would fall anything below 40-50 in 2024 or maybe 30 in the best case scenario. That's me being generous and giving major players like Airtel the benefit of doubt. Without Jio, imo nobody would have any initiative/reason to reduce price as drastically as it has fallen. Reminder that you get 912.5 GB of data for the 2999 pack. That's a grand total of 3.28 rupees per GB of data, down from 230+ back in 2015. With the revised plan of 3599 for the same amount data, you're paying 3.94 Rupees per GB of data. The difference is astronomical. Not that I am in favour of this hike at all but just saying.
IFKR! like people, we still have the cheapest mobile internet despite the price hike by far, and yeah you are right, if not Jio, we would have had some other telecom player who would have entered the market with cheap data plans or we wouldnt nearly have had the growth in IT that we have now if we left it up to telcos, they have made more than enough money off of our backs and I got no sympathy even if we are in a duopoly situation right now.

most of oldies here definitely had broadband or way better access to internet back, like for peeps like me, the first time I had proper internet where I didnt need to count my KBs or use those shitty "lite" browsers which used cache to display cached content was in my college, when Jio was out with their unlimited 4g plans, the first proper broadband experience was when I moved out to Bangalore for my job, like bruh, I finally got broadband in my home town back in early 2023, like seriously, most peeps dont realize how integral internet is for our lives, I had to WFH on my mobile internet (It sucked having to pay 500-600 for those jio booster packs every month when you are used to broadband) and almost every call, I had connection issues, dropouts etc when someone was presenting something on Zoom/Meet and thats notwithstanding the fact that god forbid, it rained, I used to have to take a leave that day because I couldnt be reached out on Slack or anything because internet was down.
Again, I am not a shill or bhakt. The first fix we urgently need is reasonably priced annual plans and the "option" to pay just for validity and talktime without data.
No need to justify whether you are a bhakt or not, dont be embarassed what some people think of you, specially online and specially when those same brain-dead morons can only talk smack and vanish when you start talking reason to them

The old upto 2gb you will be able to browse at full speed and later on reduced speed maybe.

Any pied piper is blowing the pipe and (us,the people) rats will follow him, give him our hard earned money.

Seriously I am ok with wifi at home and wifi at office and occasional 5g for maps etc., when in between office and home. Not into all those speed data consumption. Those times have passed on.

This might sound dumb... But I am not able to understand why is there a limit of 2gb per day written alongside unlimited 5g? What's the catch
They are offering unlimited 5G since last year. This means you are eligible for actually unlimited data if your phone has 5G. This thread from Reddit shows how a guy has consumed 1.11 TB of data in less than a month after a payment of 666 for 3 months. With the new tariff update, you continue getting the same benefit aka the same unlimited 5G internet if you pay for a plan that offers 2 GB or more data per day. The 2 GB limit is only on 4G data.

unlimited.PNG

Seriously I am ok with wifi at home
How much does it cost per month/year? I am curious.

if you are on 4g, your usage will be counted and is limited to 2gb/day, on 5g it wont be. you basically have unlimited internet
ah got it so at least for now they have kept it truly unlimited for 5g...as very few phones would have 5g and fewer would use obscene amount of data

jab 5g phone badh jayenge they will probably remove it

Back