Reliance Jio Rollout

I mentioned, i think in the porting thread (too many friggin jio threads), that vodafone offered me an unltd calling plan with 3+2gb 4g data for 499 something. So i'm pretty sure they'll come close to matching jio offers to retain subscribers.

How long is Jio going to realistically profitably sustain this Rs. 10/GB anyway?

How long is Jio going to realistically profitably sustain this Rs. 10/GB anyway?
They're targeting 25 crore customers by next year & that is the reason this one more year extension. I'm concerned about QoS & then company's profit. :p

Also the big 100M Figure (10 Crore) is a farce. From what i know, they do not have more than 8 crore ACTIVE subscribers. That figure may fall to 5-6 Crore subs when FREE offer ends.

I mentioned, i think in the porting thread (too many friggin jio threads)
We have relevant threads actually, Specifically for

There's no point of carrying whatever discussion in a thread intended for something else... Not pin pointing you but Generally saying..

^^

Wait, i'm confused. Are you saying that more people are going to pay for Jio than are currently enjoying for free?

My personal guess is around a 30% subsriber loss. Individuals, not sims, since many have multiple.

Funny how april fools is when everything important happens. like the new financial year, sbi MEGABANK vs sharknado etc etc

Lol no. I don't expect a 100% conversion to paid. But the fact is that 300 per month with 30GB of data is highly cheap compared to existing plans. Secondly, by putting a deadline of 31st March, many people who may still be resisting Jio - like my boss for example, has asked for getting data cards which they were not doing so earlier. Even the peons in my office are planning to jump to the 303 plan.

I was pegging a 50% loss at least. Those who want a similar plan for cheaper will go to RCom plan 150 which too have 1GB internet and free calling.

April Fools Day :p

They're targeting 25 crore customers by next year & that is the reason this one more year extension. I'm concerned about QoS & then company's profit. :p

Also the big 100M Figure (10 Crore) is a farce. From what i know, they do not have more than 8 crore ACTIVE subscribers. That figure may fall to 5-6 Crore subs when FREE offer ends.

Why are you concerned, mota bhai will PR the Q and S out of QoS :p

And I'm pretty sure they calculated 100mn Sims not individuals. Last month i took one of my friends to a Jio store to Jiofy him and they pretty much forced him to take two SIMs. He was like mereko ek hi chahiye, they were like nahin do le lo.

Lol no. I don't expect a 100% conversion to paid. But the fact is that 300 per month with 30GB of data is highly cheap compared to existing plans. Secondly, by putting a deadline of 31st March, many people who may still be resisting Jio - like my boss for example, has asked for getting data cards which they were not doing so earlier. Even the peons in my office are planning to jump to the 303 plan.

I was pegging a 50% loss at least. Those who want a similar plan for cheaper will go to RCom plan 150 which too have 1GB internet and free calling.

April Fools Day :p

I still think calling it 10 bucks a day for unlimited calls and 1gb of data puts it more into perspective.

I was expecting 50% too but that was based on 149 for 1gb/month. This 303 is a no-brainer.

What is the rcom 150? Are they using the same network and spectrum/bands?

Mota bhai should trademark it and wish everyone happy Jio fools day instead! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1487924736][/DOUBLEPOST]I dunno if i mentioned this earlier (old age memory issues), but i have a new issue with Jio. Sometimes i can hear the other person but they can't me. Have to redial 2-3 times. Anyone else get this?

I still think calling it 10 bucks a day for unlimited calls and 1gb of data puts it more into perspective.

I was expecting 50% too but that was based on 149 for 1gb/month. This 303 is a no-brainer.

What is the rcom 150? Are they using the same network and spectrum/bands?

Mota bhai should trademark it and wish everyone happy Jio fools day instead! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1487924736][/DOUBLEPOST]I dunno if i mentioned this earlier (old age memory issues), but i have a new issue with Jio. Sometimes i can hear the other person but they can't me. Have to redial 2-3 times. Anyone else get this?

There are still people who don't use 10 INR daily. If you ever come to my office, I can introduce you to them :p

RCOM 150 is some UL calling plan and 1GB internet + 2G FUP, but given the pathetic state of rcom network, it not something I want to try.

Yeah, sometimes that calling issue occurs.

I have 4 Jio SIM as of now.
1. If I did not recharge for prime membership, will nos be disconnected?
2. What if I recharge for prime membership and then did not recharge for any plan 303 149 etc for 1 year, will nos be disconnected?
3. plan 303, 149 etc are for Jio prime members or for new members or for both?
4. Should I wait until last week of March before recharging for prime membership?
If something new plan, scheme, membership comes other than this. What you think?
Thank you.

I mentioned, i think in the porting thread (too many friggin jio threads), that vodafone offered me an unltd calling plan with 3+2gb 4g data for 499 something. So i'm pretty sure they'll come close to matching jio offers to retain subscribers.

Did they also offer any Rs.100/month discount on the Rs.499 price? (Effective price Rs.499 - Rs.100 = Rs.399)

To put this into perception, we need to look at this in 3 parts.

1st - cost of frequency/licenses etc. this is fixed
2nd - approx cost of opex per GB - this is for the tower etc.
3rd cost of GB

I do not know the cost for 1st and 2nd, but the cost per GB for ISPs would be something like 1 rs or less.

Coming to opex and license, as more users are active, it will be more lesser as the number of users and consumption increase.

Attachments

• Capture1132535.PNG
    Capture1132535.PNG
    533.8 KB · Views: 412
Did they also offer any Rs.100/month discount on the Rs.499 price? (Effective price Rs.499 - Rs.100 = Rs.399)

Nope. It was some Red 499 plan, final price. Not too sure, because i cut them off when they started offering this and that and said just gimme the damn prepaid.

Was surfing about and came across Mobile World Congress 2017 item about JIO+Samsung effort to go to "4.5G" before the 5G standard comes around:

See http://www.bgr.in/news/mwc-2017-reliance-jio-samsung-join-hands-to-bring-5g-network-to-india/

So was searching around for what is this "LTE Advanced Pro" thing and came across this:

See http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/39759-qualcomm-shows-off-next-gen-lte-advanced-pro

Personally, I think wireless/LTE is the future rather than trying to spread FTTH where it will be costly and full of hurdles (right of way etc) for that last mile connectivity. Even Google Fiber division is scaling back as it apparently cost them $1 billion to launch in each new area, so they are also trying wireless (wifi) based delivery.

Can't wait to get a 100 mbps connection (wired or wireless) - wonder when that will happen. Will be like the nirvana experienced when my DTH (Tata Sky) connection replaced crappy cable modems with grainy pictures.

True. But Wireless/LTE cannot be the future without fiber backend. As the number of users increases, with increase in bandwidth, we will see need for small microcells to accomdate these users. At some time, it can be said that things will come to a point where the devices will use Wireless/LTE instead of WiFi via microcells....

To put this into perception, we need to look at this in 3 parts.

1st - cost of frequency/licenses etc. this is fixed
2nd - approx cost of opex per GB - this is for the tower etc.
3rd cost of GB

I do not know the cost for 1st and 2nd, but the cost per GB for ISPs would be something like 1 rs or less.

Coming to opex and license, as more users are active, it will be more lesser as the number of users and consumption increase.
While calculating, You're forgetting that around 50-80% of data usage is of locally cached content like Youtube, Facebook, Tv shows on their apps. The cost for those is almost nothing other than maintenance since they are on their own network and even then paid for by google, fb etc. since it increases their quality of service.

While calculating, You're forgetting that around 50-80% of data usage is of locally cached content like Youtube, Facebook, Tv shows on their apps. The cost for those is almost nothing other than maintenance since they are on their own network and even then paid for by google, fb etc. since it increases their quality of service.

True, it should be built into the cost of opex as part of IX services. But the rates per GB would be different then. I dont believe all ISPs are caching, but using a local CDN to speed up things, along with altering routes as a MITM.

Back