Reliance Jio Rollout

1. Yes when is it launching
  2. will there be a invite based system for the sims..
  3. Any idea about the tariff plans

1. http://telecom.economictimes.indiat...ata-plans-revealed/51594409?photo_id=51139882
2. I don't think so
3. It will be cheaper than Airtel/Vodafone et all, but still not cheap enough to be used as a replacement (think 10GB for 600 bucks). Check 1st point for promo plans.

My thoughts after using it for quite some time:

1. More than decent network coverage. I am yet to find a place where it failed to latch on to network. I am talking 4G here. Jio (so far) does not have any 3G/2G network and I understand they are trying to tie up with BSNL/RCOM for 2G/3G support in areas where there is no JIO network.
2. I get almost full network in my room where Vodafone and Airtel fail to get any 4G signal. Speeds are about average (I get about 8 - 14 Mbps in my room).
3. Connection is faster than my Wifi, sometimes using Reddit when I am pissed with my slow wifi, I switch to 4G and it is a great experience, trust me.
4. My phone (Nexus 5X) supports VoLTE which means I can place calls using 4G/LTE network. If your phone supports 4G but not VoLTE, then you need to download one of their Apps which will allow you to make calls using 4G data network.
5. Sound quality of VoLTE is pretty stellar
6. They have a suite of Apps that provide Value Added Services. One of them is called Jio Life which has about 300+ (including HD) channels. You can watch live match on Star Cricket HD. It has all the common channels (Star, Sony, Zee etc.) It is believed that Jio is going to come up with their own set-top box / Android-based console equivalent which will allow you to replace your Tata Sky's and D2Hs using their Jio infrastructure (through fibre cable).

I am very, very excited for the full launch and I am hoping to see good, competitive plans both for 4G as well as FTTH (cable). If any other questions, please ask.

P.S.: Last week, I was stuck in traffic and we used Jio in two devices together (Portable Hotspot). My brother was watching a movie from Hotstar and I was watching an episode of Breaking Bad from Netfix (both in HD). We did not notice buffering even for a single second on both the devices.

Last edited:
What are the possibilities of having FTTH launched alongside the sim?
zero-tokyo.jpg

one of the problems with so cheap plans is their service capacity will take a huge hit. So it will be interesting to see if the 75GB is on a 4G or 2G speeds.

I am a bit more hopeful about the FTTH launch coming early (relatively ie)

Reliance Jio has invested heavily in the 4G technology, and they are really not helping themselves with the delayed roll out. Even now, it is a 'soft' launch, and the full fledged thing will be only after 3-6 months. By this time, other telcos will have their own schemes and 4G up and running. Not to mention, the offers will increase as Reliance Jio gains momentum.

Mota bhai seems to be betting big on his 4G drive, and if this fails to capture the user base as they been bullish about, they ll have to roll out FTTH quickly if they want to absorb the hit. With so much dilly dallying, they wont get that many users now imo. They wont be able to increase the tarriffs as that ll be the death knell. So FTTH should come up earlier than we been speculating about.

I am a bit more hopeful about the FTTH launch coming early (relatively ie)

Reliance Jio has invested heavily in the 4G technology, and they are really not helping themselves with the delayed roll out. Even now, it is a 'soft' launch, and the full fledged thing will be only after 3-6 months. By this time, other telcos will have their own schemes and 4G up and running. Not to mention, the offers will increase as Reliance Jio gains momentum.

Mota bhai seems to be betting big on his 4G drive, and if this fails to capture the user base as they been bullish about, they ll have to roll out FTTH quickly if they want to absorb the hit. With so much dilly dallying, they wont get that many users now imo. They wont be able to increase the tarriffs as that ll be the death knell. So FTTH should come up earlier than we been speculating about.

I dont know, if I am getting more than 1-1.5GB for 299 per month, I could switch from Failtel to Jio. I am paying 500 for 3.3GB of data on corporate myplan

Back