Reliance Jio Rollout

Bharti Airtel Chairman Sunil Mittal said.
India’s highly competitive telecom industry will face “massive erosion of tariffs” with the entry of Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Jio Infocomm, though ongoing consolidation in the market may held improve financials in around two years

On spectrum

* Availability has been resolved but pricing continues to be high
* But government’s hands with regard to pricing are tied

On Consolidation

* In 24 months we would see four big private operators and one state-owned operator
* 12 operators a circle led to frag-mented and expensive spectrum

On data versus voice

* Share of data as a percentage of mobile revenue would rise to 50% within 36 months
* Currently, it is 23-24%
* However, data realisation will drop from the current 25 paise/MB

On net neutrality

* Trai has mixed up net neutrality and differential pricing
* Discriminatory pricing is bad, not differential
* Differential pricing is creative and Trai should be sympathetic to innovation

http://www.financialexpress.com/art...al-paints-doomsday-scenario-heres-why/301565/

Have been observing Unlimited Local/STD offers by Airtel/Idea/Vodafone. (Obviously with a FUP of 6,000 mins/month) For around 650-700. (comes around 11p/min)
Idea and Vodafone showroom guys have been telling me its because they want the existing customer with high calls to get adjusted to their network because Jio will have similar plans. Don't know how true is this. I guess Jio might offer more than 10,000 mins for such price.

Let's hope its true.

I am looking to buy Flame 6 for 3months free data.. I have following query, someone please help.
1. How is the wifi range of the mobile device? Will it cover my full apartment 3k sqft, if kept it in the central lounge area?
2. How to connect it to my Netgear R7000 AC router. If wifi signal is bad.
3. Is the service reliable enough to replace BSNL broadband service.
4. If anyone is using in similar fashion, please share your experience.
Many Thanks

I am looking to buy Flame 6 for 3months free data.. I have following query, someone please help.
1. How is the wifi range of the mobile device? Will it cover my full apartment 3k sqft, if kept it in the central lounge area?
Many Thanks

1) WiFi Range is not that great for the device, also it heats up a lot. so not advisable to run off wifi hotspot from the device itself.
2) If you can connect any 3G/4G dongle on the device then you should be able to use USB teathering, I'm using without any firmware modification on my ASUS AC66U
3) Its not 100% reliable and there are fluctuations during bad weather, but still decent enough to replace bsnl.
4) I had earlier used the phone as wifi hotspot and connected my router in repeater mode but it has few disconnecction issues so decided to go for a dedicated wifi hotspot instead, but as reliacne locked the sim with handset I was no longer able to use the hotspot and had to switch back to handset, I tried setting up usb teathering and was successful and have been using like that since.

Many Thanks
1.) wifi range not so good
2.) me also using R7000, installed merlin firmware in r7000 , only for to use flame 6 USB teathering.
3.) it disconnect when i am using idm and download speed in more than 40 mbps, for that i have to do flight mode for 1 min. otherwise its ok for last 4 days.
4.) definitely 1000% times better than bsnl for 3 month period,
>>>>
you can buy flame one by extending your budget by Rs. 800 it will give you 1 gb ram,8 gb rom as compared to 512 & 4gb
it disconnect for some sec you your need work which need continueous net you may feel some pinch.
i purchased it purely for net so invested as little i can

Has anyone used Flame x for full time broadband ? Is 512mb sufficient for hotspot ? Where can i purchase Flame handset for 3,999 as mentioned on lyf website . Even Reliance digital is quoting 4,799 , other retailers are asking for Rs5000 .

I have the flame 1, have been using it as hotspot for almost 2 months now. I got a firmware update few days back.

Before the update, the phone used to get very very hot while hotspot was on and the battery drained faster than it could charge. (The phone charged very very slow)

After the recent update, the phone only gets warm even when continuosly downloading, and the battery stays at 100/99% if connected to charger while using as hotspot. ( I dont use hotspot 24hrs, but still 15+ hrs everyday)

So, now I think flame 1 is a good option if anyone wants to use as hotspot.

There will be roll out of "jio link" for sme & smart home users shortly
It requires indoor and outdoor unit for deployment for connectivity.
It will be with good option targeted against broadband users

1) WiFi Range is not that great for the device, also it heats up a lot. so not advisable to run off wifi hotspot from the device itself.
2) If you can connect any 3G/4G dongle on the device then you should be able to use USB teathering, I'm using without any firmware modification on my ASUS AC66U
3) Its not 100% reliable and there are fluctuations during bad weather, but still decent enough to replace bsnl.
4) I had earlier used the phone as wifi hotspot and connected my router in repeater mode but it has few disconnecction issues so decided to go for a dedicated wifi hotspot instead, but as reliacne locked the sim with handset I was no longer able to use the hotspot and had to switch back to handset, I tried setting up usb teathering and was successful and have been using like that since.

1.) wifi range not so good
2.) me also using R7000, installed merlin firmware in r7000 , only for to use flame 6 USB teathering.
3.) it disconnect when i am using idm and download speed in more than 40 mbps, for that i have to do flight mode for 1 min. otherwise its ok for last 4 days.
4.) definitely 1000% times better than bsnl for 3 month period,
>>>>
you can buy flame one by extending your budget by Rs. 800 it will give you 1 gb ram,8 gb rom as compared to 512 & 4gb
it disconnect for some sec you your need work which need continueous net you may feel some pinch.
i purchased it purely for net so invested as little i can

Thanks guys for all the valuable feedback. Today, I purchased Flame6 for 4k. It got activated within few hours.
Now I am able to connect to a wifi hotspot. But my usb tethering is not working with the router. I didn't wanted to flash ddwrt or any other firmware. One asus old RTN 13u was lying around, so tried that.. I wasn't able to configure that correctly.

Please someone share the setting of usb modem in router.

Many thanks

Been using the Wind4 for quite some time. We have procured 10 pcs for testing for our company (and my top secret IPv6 project :D)

The hotspot does not heat up unless you are multitasking. I have used it for hours without heating up. I do not download on the phone at all.

Speeds vary. YMMV.

@PsYkiller

download and flash firmware for your router from here no settings will be needed to configure USB tethering http://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/downloadsp.html

Thanks for the advice, before that I installed ddwrt, it didn't worked. It was very painful to revert to original firmware and then install ROOTer firmware. After wasting couple of hours, saw ur post and after installing it, it worked very well.
Much stable and better than wifi hotspot. Moreover, I am using my TP LINK 1043ND as a Gigabit Switch and so there was no problem finding a supported device.

Many Thanks all of you for helping me out. We have very helpful community here. I will post my feedback on my setup soon.

Price cuts. The Lyf flame 2 looks attractive @ 3.6k with 1GB RAM and 3 months UL data.
http://www.fonearena.com/blog/19053...-cut-3-months-free-unlimited-jio-4g-data.html

Can someone please check for coverage in Chitlapakkam, Chennai (600064). One of my relative needs temporary broadband for 2.5 months. Does hotspot work fine on these phones to connect with windows 7 laptop?

Can someone walk up to any of these stores and get the phone without an invite?
https://www.mylyf.com/flame-2
Do other SIM cards (Airtel) work with the phone? Sorry, I know some of the questions might have already been answered, but the thread is quite long.

Last edited:
After the price cut can I go in with Flame 2 for usage as hotspot, on wifi mostly or could possibly tether it with my Dlink 2700 if that is possible. Any other handset that I should be considering ? I really don't intend to use handset for anything else, looking at it as a Rs 1000 pm broadband :D

Back