Reliance Jio Rollout

This might be due to a tower nearby. Most of the Jio coverage I have seen is between 850 - 1800 Mhz. 2300 Mhz is like an oasis in a desert, very few and far in between. And the speeds on 1800 hovers near 2 Mbps which is far worse than 5mbps on 850 Mhz. Both of which I don't think are exactly 4G speeds.
True this.
My phone doesn't support LTE on 850mhz, So mostly its picking up 2300mhz and sometimes 1800mhz.
Speeds are bad during peak hours.. 2mbps to 5mbps. :confused:

Default dial will be grayed out if you have only one sim maybe?

It probably won't block or anything. But since it wasn't working in your phone, most probably that sim isn't activated yet because of some issue.

Yes....It didn't work as JioFi shows network / signal icon from Red to Blue and then Green, but with my SIM it stuck in Red. Anyhow after close inspection I found both are different SIM by design as well color, I know color is not important here but the design - Let's picture do the talking.

RaA5BfI.jpg

A Closer Look - Right Hand Side SIM Card which may be incompatible with RN3 ? !! Look at the Two Bar / Line in the Middle - Never seen such - 2 Weeks didn't get the Love from Jio :( :(

AQTsjZI.jpg

Yes....It didn't work as JioFi shows network / signal icon from Red to Blue and then Green, but with my SIM it stuck in Red. Anyhow after close inspection I found both are different SIM by design as well color, I know color is not important here but the design - Let's picture do the talking.

RaA5BfI.jpg

A Closer Look - Right Hand Side SIM Card which may be incompatible with RN3 ? !! Look at the Two Bar / Line in the Middle - Never seen such - 2 Weeks didn't get the Love from Jio :( :(

AQTsjZI.jpg
Don't worry my first Jio sim was same like your right sim with Two Bar / Line in the Middle which was working nicely but I broke it while experimenting with a Dual Sim and MicroSD hack in my Mi Max (which is technically a elder brother of RN3) but I can assure you that these kind of sims were distributed by the company in the beginning with Welcome offers and they work, so that is not the reason.

My phone doesn't support LTE on 850mhz, So mostly its picking up 2300mhz and sometimes 1800mhz.

Redmi 2 prime? Inside my 1st floor, road facing flat i only get 1800 but go out to the street and get 2300. vodafone 4g at the same 1800 is full signal bars inside the house. so obviously they need to do a lot of work expanding their physical (wireless) n/w.

dunno if i mentioned this earlier, but my bro came over with his lenovo s60 which was showing system update after update, each like 45mb,35mb,46mb etc. Hotspot to jio it would download like a few 100kb in 10 minutes and timeout. swapped sim to vodafone 4g and it came through at multiple mbps, in a few seconds. At the same time, google play store was coming in pretty fast, so there was an issue with jio connecting to lenovo's OTA server.[DOUBLEPOST=1475084551][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is not correct Jiofi Sims are same as normal simcards both calling and data works on FI simcards. One can use the Jio device for calls with a 2/3g phone which does not supports VoLTE or 4g.

Thats using the jiojoin app over the data connection. AFAIK earlier, mifi sims were activated only for data and phone sims for both. there were even two different activation numbers/procedures. Doesn't matter now anyway...[DOUBLEPOST=1475084661][/DOUBLEPOST]
...while experimenting with a Dual Sim and MicroSD hack in my Mi Max...

I thought about this, would putting both a microsd and a sim into a hybrid sim slot work if the contacts for each are on opposite sides?

Weird thing happened yesterday - Put my Jio SIM in a new RN3 but did not get it working, SIM shows up though. Tried calling 198 to ask for help, did not get through for more than 7-10 minutes.

Weird thing happened yesterday - Put my Jio SIM in a new RN3 but did not get it working, SIM shows up though. Tried calling 198 to ask for help, did not get through for more than 7-10 minutes.
Happened with me once while using the sim with Lyf phone. Sim showed up, calls worked but no data - tried removing sim and adding in different slots, toggling flight mode to "kickstart" the network search, nothing worked. Finally had to factory reset the phone for it to work.

Redmi 2 prime? Inside my 1st floor, road facing flat i only get 1800 but go out to the street and get 2300. vodafone 4g at the same 1800 is full signal bars inside the house. so obviously they need to do a lot of work expanding their physical (wireless) n/w.

@Julian How do you check which frequency you are connected to? I am using Mi 4i.

^ Install netvelocity enterprise. Select advanced more in options. Or check in RF information.

Personal experience:

Today's experience is most frustrating.. Couldn't even connect to Telenor and Aircel numbers.
- Speed dropped drastically.
- Friends says speed is totally abysmal during day time from past two days on 2300mhz.

Store experience:

- Activation server is down twice today, Even store guys have no idea when it'll be up.
- More and more people pile up, Turning out to be bad experience for customers who are walking in for a JioFi or an LYF phone.

Sensible suggestion: Stop this Free thing for now and start charging (or) Stop giving out SIM's for now.
You will not even get a Penny from new customers, why spoil experience of existing users?

Last edited:
^^ Used NetVelocity Enterprise. It does not show band being used. It shows nothing in Band section. Using Xiaomi Mi 4i.

Anyone experiencing Jio4gVoice/JioJoin app going into offline mode nowadays? It is happening on multiple times in a day. Did not see any particular pattern when it happens. Even happens when phone is kept stand still.

^^ Used NetVelocity Enterprise. It does not show band being used. It shows nothing in Band section. Using Xiaomi Mi 4i.

Anyone experiencing Jio4gVoice/JioJoin app going into offline mode nowadays? It is happening on multiple times in a day. Did not see any particular pattern when it happens. Even happens when phone is kept stand still.
Open app click on more on the top right corner click settings and turn on advance mode now press back button and u are on the main Paige of the app u will see the band on the top second from left.

Personal experience:

Today's experience is most frustrating.. Couldn't even connect to Telenor and Aircel numbers.
- Speed dropped drastically.
- Friends says speed is totally abysmal during day time from past two days on 2300mhz.

Store experience:

- Activation server is down twice today, Even store guys have no idea when it'll be up.
- More and more people pile up, Turning out to be bad experience for customers who are walking in for a JioFi or an LYF phone.

Sensible suggestion: Stop this Free thing for now and start charging (or) Stop giving out SIM's for now.
You will not even get a Penny from new customers, why spoil experience of existing users?
The activation server being down is not a new thing. When many of us were getting their sims back in May, this issue was there. So not sure what kind of improvement, if any, has been on that front or if removing free sims will ensure server stability. But as some people in this thread will tell you they are here for free stuff and don't really care for Jio if the free thing is gone.

Frankly for all the blame given to Airtel, Vodafone et al, Jio must have been aware of that things will turn out like they did. So it has been poor planning on their part.
If they were betting on distributing free sims and making most calls Jio to Jio, they have been shooting themselves in the foot with the shit activation process.

I had crossed my 4gb limit at 4 or 5am today and was capped to 128kbps. But around 7-7:30pm today it was uncapped. Not sure how they're calculating this.
As of now mine shows 730mb left of 4Gb but if I use the balance 730 within the next 15/20 mins it does not reduces the speed at least for me have tried it many times.
bf9eb3eb598b2834832ed0c77420379f.jpg

Last edited:
The activation server being down is not a new thing. When many of us were getting their sims back in May, this issue was there. So not sure what kind of improvement, if any, has been on that front or if removing free sims will ensure server stability. But as some people in this thread will tell you they are here for free stuff and don't really care for Jio if the free thing is gone.
TBH, I've been visting to Xpress mini and RD stores quite often this week and getting to know how exactly things are working out. Jio is gonna end up with 6-7 crore customers by year end far from their earlier target of 10 crore. Airtel has 25 crore Customers and not all use LTE and it struggles to provide proper speeds all the time, Wondering How will Jio do it from next month?!

Back