Reliance Wimax connection

Aces170

ex-Mod
Finnaly some ISP is ready to offer net in my area.

Its basically an RCIL venture they are charging 1000 bucks a mth for 300 kbps UL.

Anybody has any experiences with them ?

+1

I was also looking forward to reliance wi-max. Tata has started to suck bigtime. Whats the authentication like ? Do they have some kinda client/dialer/web-based login ? And whats the downtime like. I have heard that their customer service is pretty shady, they take more than 1 week to resolve problems :/

Any inputs from someone using wi-max would be great!

I called up Reliance Wimax and got a ref number and commitment from the call centre for Kandivali that they will there in 3 days and install in 10 days but 3 weeks and many follow up calls later I am yet to hear from them. Really these guys need to pull up their socks and show some professionalism.

Yes they have to show professionalism ..

keep your fingers crossed .. and hope you stay in a minimum 5 storey building. At shorter heights its been known not to work at all (Me :( ) if it works .. it works good.

i think reliance has outsourced the sales to third party franchisee type outfits, im sure most of them will be unscrupulous fly-by-night operators who just want to get their installation commissions and dont care about whether it actually works or not...

the reason i believe its outsourced is that i see spam posts by random people posting mobile contact numbers for sales/installation of reliance wimax

Actually in Mumbai their service is good. Once it starts working properly it works perfectly fine. Yes sales is outsourced but support is there and you can directly call the engineers which installed at your place and atleast in my case the guy dropped by my house in 2 hours after call when I had issue with my antenna alignment after their 1st install.

Now its working great. I am on 600kbps plan. I get 80-85KBps up and 75-85KBps down during peak hours and sometimes goes as high as 160-180KBps for HTTP/FTP downloads.

Dont directly talk to reliance call center. Go to your nearest reliance outlet / communication center or franchise and take the form from them or call this number.65151565. Or mail Mr. Pradeep at vn@reliancemail.net

He will courier you the form. Fill it and send it to him with Rs.500 cheque.

I did this and I got call within 1 week from reliance, they guys came in next couple of days and net was up and running same day.

No downtimes till date, always works here.

Its easy to troubleshoot even if you run into some problem as hardware basically runs telnet server ;)

If anyone needs the assistance with how to troubleshoot the reliance connection, how to fine tune your antenna yourself, how to find best tower for yourself i can put up a small guide. I have moved my antenna myself to get the best signal.

So far overall experience has been very good. My 4 friends in my locality have taken the connection and we are all happy. Vivek Punjabi also has taken reliance wimax.

In the end it all depends on locality. I live in only 3 story building and i still get proper signal.

Wooohooo! The Reliance guy replied to my mail within an hour. It IS available in Vashi and he'll be sending the registration form now that he has my address :eek:hyeah: Now Funky tell us about pings/routing..how good are the pings to Asian servers? How much extra delay does WiMax add? How much is the 600kbps connection for?

You Telecom here is absolutely pathetic on weekends with 30-40% packet loss, Rest of the week, it's less lossy-er - best pings I get abroad I get is 200-250ms to UK . Exatt's franchise in Vashi charges Rs. 1300 for 256kbps and gives 20-22KB/s. Sify blocks ports AFAIK and are priced similar to Exatt. I'm willing to give Reliance a shot. So far it looks like they're pretty good :O Oh dear, You Telecom expires in 1-2 days I think, so I'll prolly have to take some silly 1 week account or something.. Lets seee....! I'm excited and...impatient.... :D

Is the login system same as the reliance wired connection? A web based client?

Also does it get automatically disconnected after 4-6 hours even if there is activity?

for me it does not get disconnected at all. I manually disconnect and reconnect once a day when I am on pc to make sure it does not log me off when i am away from pc. But I have kept it on for a day and it never logged me off. Not even at 10AM like some people in andheri-juhu area are stating. But from what i hear you should logon once a day manually.

And yes login process is same as reliance wired.

Web based. So be it linux, mac, windows pc it works on every system.

Pings to indian servers are damn good( below 20 most of the times). Pings to US and UK, Netherlands, Germany servers are also good. Pings to SG servers is bad. in 160-180s.

on broadbandforum.in there have been posts complaining that reliance wimax has issues getting IP addresses/connecting etc... maybe these are folks with bad signal range/quality or the reliance servers are overloaded in their areas...

vishalrao said:
on broadbandforum.in there have been posts complaining that reliance wimax has issues getting IP addresses/connecting etc... maybe these are folks with bad signal range/quality or the reliance servers are overloaded in their areas...

Thats basically a base server issue.
By default the Telisma antenna has 4 BS memory. When you are getting signal from multiple towers, it sometimes tries to jump to different tower than the one you are registered to resulting in lost connection and DHCP not able to get proper IP.
There is simple solution to this. You can delete all other BS except the one thats operational using telnet or IE web login menu.
I will put up a small guide to the same. This avoids the antenna trying to jump to other tower.
its simple.
Also in the end its wireless technology. So locality and signal strength matters. But in my experience the installation guy was educated enough to select the proper tower with best range and signal.

No software to measure signal stregth, like the bars on the cellphone or like with sat TV ?

..I'm waiting to hear what the experience will be like in the monsoons, these fellows always lauch just after the rainy season is over :D

Yeah but to a wired subscriber there is not much difference at all..especially in the west where they would have had problems competing on price & service.

India however without the wired infrastructure...sky's the limit.

blr_p said:
No software to measure signal stregth, like the bars on the cellphone or like with sat TV ?

..I'm waiting to hear what the experience will be like in the monsoons, these fellows always lauch just after the rainy season is over :D

Its built into the antenna. You can see the graphs of signal strength. Kinda same as logging into router. You log into the antenna and change settings from there.

Back