Reliance Wimax connection

Ok, this is done. After calling up the reliance call centre and been given the run around for more than 3 weeks now, all it took is a call to Mr Pradeep earlier today, who Funky kindly passed on the contact details of, and within 3 hours this is done.
This is for a friend in Kandivili and he personally came to her house and got all the formalities completed. The connection should be up in a week. Thanks a ton Funky.

Funky pinging my dns gives a request timed out. Things though are a lil better now, dload speeds are 30 kbps avg, but google is awefully slow, it just freezes at the loading window. I guess my settings needs to change a lil bit, funky help would be appreciated

Gateway pings to around 35-90 ms pings with a few timed outs in between, those are quite high for a gateway ping. Can i check the signal strength anyways ?

Some sites like guru3d etc are opening normally, but yahoo and google related sites are extremely slow, I am pretty sure that the gateway and dns servers are screwed somehow. But I guess will give them a call and a couple of days time otherwise am disconnecting the service as yahoo and google are more less non operational so is TE...

Funky said:
Thats basically a base server issue.

By default the Telisma antenna has 4 BS memory. When you are getting signal from multiple towers, it sometimes tries to jump to different tower than the one you are registered to resulting in lost connection and DHCP not able to get proper IP.

There is simple solution to this. You can delete all other BS except the one thats operational using telnet or IE web login menu.

I will put up a small guide to the same. This avoids the antenna trying to jump to other tower.

its simple.

Also in the end its wireless technology. So locality and signal strength matters. But in my experience the installation guy was educated enough to select the proper tower with best range and signal.

I am slightly confused here. Its based on wireless or line of sight? Sify wireless (as they refer to that) is based on a SU which must have straight line of sight to a near by base station. This is critical to getting connectivity.

If you are aiming your antenna at a nearby station, then thats definitely line of sight and thus how can the base station switch between multiple stations? (unless its servo controlled, which I highly doubt)

Funky said:
Woops, i dont know what i was thinking when i typed that. I meant to say ping your default gateway :ashamed:

Funky, you had posted a screenshot with 450ms to that SG IP (on E.) Any other SG servers you get good ping to? What is the average ping to your default gateway?

blr_p said:
What is the % packet loss when you ping various sites... ??

see..thats why i said paste the last cpl lines

Cool... you are from Bangalore. You are on Rel WiMax? Could you try a "tracert -d 203.81.39.57" and post back the results?

yes, but on a wired Airtel connection

...not the reliance wimax these guys are talking bout.

was just giving some tips

Guess I missed the image the first time and then net went out. Thats a funny thing because when I call up the customer care they said if I switch off the white box (which comes with connection, apparently some box which converts the wi-max signal) then I will not be able to obtain an automatic IP, next time I restart the comp with box etc.. Thats so stupid so I have keep the damn thing on always. The connection has moderately improved surfing is yet painfule etc. But since I have no other option I will give this connection a mth's time.

I am averaging 28-29ms to my gateway.

All SG pings are bad, all servers. In 200s.

UK, france, Netherlands and germany servers have good pings. US servers are in 130-140s....

About automatic IP getting issue. Do this.

When you are not getting ip, manually enter this ip address for the network adapter.

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS : 192.168.1.1

Now if you are on XP, go to command prompt and type

telnet 192.168.1.1

it will show you login window.

Enter Username and password as "support" ( yeah both same ).

You will now be logged into you Subscriber station.

Typer "sh bs" and hit enter.

This will show you all the base station signals your station is receiving the signal for.

Atleast 1 should have Status as OPER. (operational).

If its NA for all keep doing sh bs and hitting enter until that happens.

Once you get oper status you can logoff, put your network adapter to automatically obtain IP address and reboot the PC.

You should be ok to go.

Vista users. As you know telnet does not work from command prompt.

You can use telnet.exe file from your backed up XP disk. Just command changes.

When you use this standalone telnet window you have to type

o 192.168.1.1.

An alternative to this on both XP and vista is brower login.

DO the manual ip settings as before, and open IE. And in address bar type 192.168.1.1.

You will again be showed login window. Use same username and pass (support).

Now here you have complete GUI interface. You can refresh/reboot the station by clicking menus from the left side.

You also get the antenna signal graphs. If they are not in green you have a connection problem.

You can also delete the other unneeded BS addresses from here so that the subscriber station does not go into crazy mode trying to obtain signal on reboot. ( happens sometimes ).

@ Kido : here there are soo many towers. The hardware provided by reliance as of now is near line of sight antenna. But there are 4 towers in 1 direction 3 in opposite direction in my area. I get good signal from 3 base stations with signal strength over 27 from 2 towers and 25 from 1. ( anything over 17 is ok ).

Hey thanx bro, that is helpful. The connection is very erratic sometimes it works fine but sometimes browsing is a big pain, but I guess I will have to live with this as have no other option, also if I am not mistaken Wimax does not require LOS, are they re-badging wi-fi tech ?

Also what is the white box you get at home, is it some sort of signal amplifier or something ?

Also what are the upload speeds you getting in torrents

Aces170 said:
Hey thanx bro, that is helpful. The connection is very erratic sometimes it works fine but sometimes browsing is a big pain, but I guess I will have to live with this as have no other option, also if I am not mistaken Wimax does not require LOS, are they re-badging wi-fi tech ?

Also what is the white box you get at home, is it some sort of signal amplifier or something ?

Also what are the upload speeds you getting in torrents

well it depends on the hardware used. The BS are powerful enough.

But Telsima Starmax 2150 which the reliance is using is Near line of sight outdoor antenna.

The StarMAX 2130( which is expensive and not yet available here ) is completely indoor unit with 4 90 Degree 10dbi+ antenna. 2150 provided to us is only 18.5dbi antenna.

The white box provided to us is Power over Lan box. Basically it supplied power to subscriber station and also transfers data over same line.

Back