Reliance Wimax connection

The Sorcerer said:
Can you use a router with the wimax. i am planning to use this when I shift to my new place next year.

yup. I am using it with Buffalo HP G54. to setup a hotspot for my home. Works great :)

I am not exactly aware. Its def not tied to user computer mac address. As I can successfully login from my 2 lappies and desktop directly.

The subscriber station (antenna) has its own Mac id.

The funny thing is I can login from my friend's place who has wimax. So it seems its not tied up to the subscriber station as well.

blr_p said:
The only thing is that daily manual login !!!

..how long till they tie it to the MAC addr ?

Thats the same ****ed up shit with tata indicom. Why cant they give a connection with no client based or web based login :mad:

If a substandard isp like my local 7star could do it, whats so complicated for tata to give a direct connection :S

rushabht said:
Thats the same ****ed up shit with tata indicom. Why cant they give a connection with no client based or web based login :mad:

If a substandard isp like my local 7star could do it, whats so complicated for tata to give a direct connection :S

Well this way anyone with wimax subscriber station will be able to plug into the network. They need some sort of login process to ensure that proper user logs into the system and have access. What if someone steals your antenna or gets hold of your Antenna's( subscriber stations) Mac ID?
Getting Mac ID of subscriber station is pretty simple. you can just go on the roof, remove your connection plug it into laptop LAN and get your MAC and IP address and replicate it somewhere else.
And thats why there is login process. Its not for nothing. Also they do offer volume based plans. Those users need to logoff and login as their account is limited to certain data / time limit. Also they have on the fly ability to change their plan. So login is there for everyone.

Hey thanks a lot, I thought no one must have heard of this connection, have paid the installation fees, the guy should come on Wed to install the wimax router et all.

Height should not be a problem as I live in a 15 storey bldg which is on top of Malabar hill (can see basically 1/2 of Mumbai frm my terrace etc) Funky it would be a great idea if you could post a guide of sorts etc..

Turns out the Reliance Wimax will start in Vashi in a months time. Boo Hoo! :( :p Will hold on to the form and cheque for a week or two, confirm if its still happening around the end of Jan and then send the forms. Aces170 keep us updated on the connection! I'm renewing my Exatt account for a month (maybe two) till Reliance starts distributing in this area. Or what if TATA starts in Bombay sometime in the near future?! A delay is the last thing I wanted. Oh well! time to continue focus on the guitar shopping plans for now :p

Am posting from the reliance connection, now seems good for surfing getting an avg of around 35 kbps speeds on http downloads on a 300kbps connection, lol one full night will go into updating everything as my home comp has not seen net since 10 mths now

Spoke too soon, one full night of dloads on good trackers gave me an avg speed of 22 kbps, which is much lower then their promised 300 kbps.

Also surfing is extremely slow, I guess there are loads of packet losses causing the lower speeds, and slow surfing as effectively surfing should be fine on a 160 kbps connection too...

am in pune (near Pune Univ) and using the Wimax 300kbps UL conctn...initially it used to have a lot of downtime but now it has stabilized ...i get abt 30-35KBps speed on avg...so now thinking of changing over to 600kbps...

@ Funky... i dont see any option of changing the plan...whr is it?? also cud u post tht guide u said u wud post...wud b a great help...thanks in adv..

Aces170 said:
Spoke too soon, one full night of dloads on good trackers gave me an avg speed of 22 kbps, which is much lower then their promised 300 kbps.

Also surfing is extremely slow, I guess there are loads of packet losses causing the lower speeds, and slow surfing as effectively surfing should be fine on a 160 kbps connection too...

ping your DNS server and see what happens.
Use ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xx command.

If you are loosing packets then thats your problem.
I will put up the guide by today night or tomorrow on how to diagnose and fix your problem.
For me it took 1 more Antenna calibration after install to get perfect connection.

Lets hope it's a temporary problem then Aces170. I renewed my old Exatt 256kbps account and they seem to have gotten their act together. Fairly stable 30-31KB/s browsing/http/ftp downloads. Torrents hovering around 27-28 and under 10ms to other Exatt game servers, under 40ms to every Indian server. Decent sub-100 lossless pings to some SG servers and under 150ms to many European servers. Rs. 1300 is a little costly for their "Single User" account here in Vashi but OKAY... If both Reliance and Exatt continue like this, I might delay the switch to Reliance :p

Aces170 said:

This seems about right for a 300kbitps connection.

I haven't seen people get more than 20-30kbyteps on torrents on such a connection. Just check at speedtest.net and post your results.

Also torrents are never perfect indication of speeds. It depends on the upload speed of the peers you are connected to. If thats going up and down which usually happens then you wont get max connection speeds.

Manually increase your connections / torrent no to something large like 200-300. This way u r connected to many peers and usually maintains good download speed.

I hardly ever go below 65-70KBps when downloading torrents. The HTTP download speeds are much higher at 75+.

And yes its suppose to be 30-35+KBps on 300kbps coonnection.

Here is the speed of 600 kbps connection as i post. its always like this here. :D

Untitled.jpg

whatsinaname said:
This seems about right for a 300kbitps connection.

I haven't seen people get more than 20-30kbyteps on torrents on such a connection. Just check at speedtest.net and post your results.

Hmm sorry abt the kbps and KBps messup, but 22 kbps dload speed is effectively a 160 kilobits connection.

Will check once funky post the guide, but browsing speed is really bad. Also they have a wi-max tower in the bldg opp mine, so signal strength should be relatively good.

So why not run the ping test as suggested..

Let it run for a cpl of minutes and and copy+paste the last cpl of lines here.

Hey Funky, your Reliance Wimax contact person is extremely efficient to say the least. Things have started moving at hectic pace since I called him today. Highly impressed. Very efficient and professional. This is how things should be.

Back