User Review Review + 15 Days With Xiaomi Red MI 1S

Synopsis :
waiting ...
Review:
Let's have a small history first. My old phones are Sony Ericsson T78i then Huawei U5510. Then I started development nokia and BlackBerry only and I won Nokia asha 510 and BlackBerry Q10.
Before using Xiaomi Red MI 1S I have used BlackBerry Q10 for a year. And I love it. Definitely Xiaomi Red MI 1S is my backup phone. My path to try Android first. Also I Have good hands on Apple iPhone 4S, Nexus 4.

15 days:
Day 1 (+ve)
First impression is phone built quality is good. Never feels like local brand feels like well built phone.

Interface is good, smooth, reminds iOS 6 every time.

Many tweaks add on in os. In built WPS office app. Works God. Writing this text on WPS text editor with swift keyboard. I came from BlackBerry Q10. So definitely compare keyboard and writing experience. Security app is collection of good software. Clean master, Anti virus, permission app are well integrated in security app.

Cheap Or not, no one should be doing such ridiculous stuff just to make the phone do basic tasks.
May be MI3 is better in that aspect.
May be it is better to pay more and get Moto G or something.

Exactly. One shouldn't have to tinker to that level to get a phone to run stably at the end of the day. I'm glad I got my Mom the Moto E instead, it runs like a champ!

Exactly. One shouldn't have to tinker to that level to get a phone to run stably at the end of the day. I'm glad I got my Mom the Moto E instead, it runs like a champ!
Yes especially when you are buying for people not well versed with smartphones it is better to get a phone which is bound to not give any problems. That is the reason I gave my dad iPhone 3GS. He finds it simple to use and has explored stuff himself.

Heating problem is now justified.
Xiaomi cheated Indian users, CPU Z shows MSM8226 chipset of Snapdragon S400 in Indian phones which is clocked at 1.6ghz, which is unstable for this chip set.
While in Moto G, chipset have same MSM8226and its clocked to 1.2Ghz(stable for this).
They didn't give MSM8228(hardware) which can be clocked to 1.6ghz and stable, instead they tweaked software to give 1.6ghz on old MSM8226 and thats why we are feeling the heat.

I think we should wait for MIUI 6 for this problem should be resolved by limiting CPU freq. to 1.2/1.3Ghz or you can do it urself by rooting/flashing.

Other international versions are having MSM8228 , so no heating problem.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-G_id8208

Thanks for pointing this what is solution then ? every indian phone is msm8226 ? or some got MSM 8228 ?[DOUBLEPOST=1411802606][/DOUBLEPOST]got MIUI 41 update any one tried ?

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing this what is solution then ? every indian phone is msm8226 ? or some got MSM 8228 ?[DOUBLEPOST=1411802606][/DOUBLEPOST]got MIUI 41 update any one tried ?
Whole Indian batch is of MSM8226.
Solution is to wait for MIUI 6 or Root and control your phone CPU or install CM11 rom some one posted above.

Installed the update 500mb+, nothing changed just feeling more fluid experience.
Will try CM11 tomorrow after checking this update thoroughly.

Edit: Temp seems little normal now.......not heating that much(above 50 C while on performance mode playing heavy games)
Reaching 42-46C, but thats still high.

Downloaded and installed JHCMIBH43.0 from the miui site last night. Haven't tested enough to make comments. Also tried unofficial cm11 R3 a couple days ago, initial impressions were it was very smooth and light compared to miui. Seems there's an r4 just out. Very hard to switch from miui to cm since i've been using miui 5 on my xperia play itself for the last year or so.

About the heating issue, i would also suggest rooting and throttling down to 1.19gHz. The crashes etc. seem related more to ram management which is funny, because my xperia has only 512mb and though it's slow as a snail's arse, i've never had any major or recurrent crashes to speak of. So it's probably a build issue, which xiaomi will probably fix (or already have with 41/43) or else it's a VERY crap cpu in which case we're all screwed.

It's funny, the redmi reminds me (see what i did there?) of my blade days more than the xperia. Installing CWM, and trying various roms, the experience is nostalgic. In fact my only grip with the redmi is it's too big for me to use one-handed comfortably.

@raksrules this is definitely not an iphone ease of use kinda phone, remember your blade days? think of it as the same. Rs. 6k and perfect for android keeda. Not for the technically faint of heart...

An update - the MIUI browser usage even for 5-6 minutes sends my CPU temperature above 50 degrees.
I have been observing the same behavior for v36 and v41.
The same problem occurs for applications that use the inbuilt browser - Play newstand, GSMArena app, etc.
Anybody else able to reproduce the issue?

I demanded for a refund but Flipkart agreed for a replacement, wondering if I should just sell the sealed pack piece :)

I demanded for a refund but Flipkart agreed for a replacement, wondering if I should just sell the sealed pack piece :)
Congrats for the replacement, and there are many who'll be happy to take away your sealed pack piece as long as it is cost to cost. Sorry I too have one Redmi 1S but I cannot confirm anything because the handset is away for 2 months. My last update was 37

Xiaomi Releases Update For Redmi 1S, Fixes Heating And Lag Issues : so says Hugo Barra.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/144...or-redmi-1s-fixes-heating-and-lag-issues.html

Yesterday, Xiaomi's Vice President Hugo Barra announced the update for Redmi 1S, which solves overheating issue. The update is already available and along with the overheating issue, the RAM handling is improved and there are some other performance-related improvements.

According to Hugo Barra, due to improved thermal control algorithm, the phone is kept under 38-degrees Celsius in normal usage conditions. The OTA update weighs only 514.4 MB and is available for download.

EDIT : Someone please report if performance suffers after this update.

Last edited:
@PoBoy I am using the 45 update for 3 days now, it does have better ram management before that i was on 36, and i had to restart phone everytime i wanted to play injustice because of the hogged ram. the heating issue is somewhat reduced with this update, now after 30 mins of gameplay the battery temp. is 39.7 C, using CPUZ to see that. which earlier use to go upto 45 C easily.
@Sanav3 inbuilt browser is indeed a let down but you have the option to remove it, i would recommend that and suggest you use UCbrowser instead (or any other browser which you might love for that matter)
overall i'm satisfied with this phone, the camera is too good and the phone itself is very fast so i can play high end games easily.
and i like that the phone gets heats up especially because http://freeios7.com/?attachment_id=13627

but that just me :p

Last edited:
Very good update, heating of phone is now gone.
They have under-clocked CPU this time to 993Mhz.

Only one problem, games saved in the ram, are not coming back after pausing.
Like play real racing 3 or asphalt 8, then pause/press home button, go back to game again. It will start again from beginning(not paused actually).
I think that is due to aggressive RAM management.

Also if you have multiple apps open in background, like skype, whatsapp, hike, hangout etc and try playing subway surfer, it started lagging.
CPU is constantly showing 993 Mhz, since they have to use 'Thermal Control', u need to root n overclock to get more performance.

Last thing, I am very much impressed by its camera, esp. HDR mode.
Just click 3 pics of sweet boxes in my office with Normal Mode, one with flash and one with HDR.
HDR one simply amazes me...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-17-12-45-25[1].png
    Screenshot_2014-10-17-12-45-25[1].png
    643.3 KB · Views: 232
Back