Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

Did the same as specified in this how-to video. Bough 3x100K resisitors from the market. Earlier i was told 5% tolerance ones might not work, but i didnt get the lower tolerance ones and 5% ones worked just fine for me.

@bigbyte.

Yep, it took some tries, but yes, i was able to achieve what i wanted. I had this method in mind but was not sure if 5% ones would work or not.

And you know what, it cost me only Rs.10 for that jig + some amt of hardwork + Experience = Relief. :D

Anybody upgraded to Samsungs Gingerbread update?
Running Darkys 9.0 (2.2.1) on my SGS, wondering its worth going for the GB that Samsung has rolled out yday.:huh:

If you are not planning to try custom Gingerbread rom's you feel better on your darky 2.2.1 .

I would say try it and if dont like it move to custom one's .

iaudio said:
Anybody upgraded to Samsungs Gingerbread update?
Running Darkys 9.0 (2.2.1) on my SGS, wondering its worth going for the GB that Samsung has rolled out yday.:huh:

You can try some mod here LINK not much support for SGSL though.

cooldude_007 said:
Guys, Bought Galaxy SL for 19k, Now its time to root and install roms(if available?) Any links guides would be appreciated :)

ov3rl0rd, Thanks for the reply! So you say the stock GB wont be a great move from my custom 2.2.1. If so how about Darkys 10.1? I am hesitant, because of some comments that GB roms have low battery life.

I am currently on Darky 10.1 and to my experience 10.1 gives same battery performance ,if not better, compare to v9.5.

if you are into customization you will have to move to GB sooner or later as many ROM/themes/modes started to support GB only.

karankapoor said:
Need some info on 3 button fix for captivate is there any permanent fix for this ? a friend needs it.
Just upgrade to gingerbread with gingerbread bootloaders. After that You can easily go to download mode using VOL Down + Power key combination.

You can even install Froyo without changing from ginger bootloaders and retain the download and recover mode butoon combinations.

i managed to brick captivate yesterday due to odin mishaps.

still bricked as this one was not able to enter download mode with 3-key combination.
will make a download jig today and see how it goes..

karankapoor said:
How this happened post the details as will help other to be careful ?
odin is little buggy and can result in unfinished flashes.

you should have an easy way out if your fone can initially boot to download mode with key combinations:

volu up + vol down + power

or

vol up + vol down + connect usb

or

vol up + power

n etc combinations..

if your fone cant boot into download mode initially that way then it is bricked.

you need a usb download jig to start such fones in download mode.

a ready made jig can cost $5-10

or you can make one with 3 x 100k ohm resisters.. which cost you 1 rupee or less.

i just made one.

This is the method and it worked like a charm.. :)

mutant said:
Which is best for modding? A friend needs to choose between captivate and vibrant.
people are preferring vibrant, more of a butterfly effect... but i wouldn't think much and go for the one that is better for my taste..i.e. captivate.

both are galaxy S and people indeed flash sgs roms on these with only difference being the kernel. Kernel needs to be reoriented... meaning that the display would look 90 degree turned with original i9000 kernel on captivate. (due to different orientation of the g-sensor)

In a real world scenario, the only apparent different is the looks so get the one that suits your taste.

madnav said:
odin is little buggy and can result in unfinished flashes.

you should have an easy way out if your fone can initially boot to download mode with key combinations:

volu up + vol down + power

or

vol up + vol down + connect usb

or

vol up + power

n etc combinations..

if your fone cant boot into download mode initially that way then it is bricked.

you need a usb download jig to start such fones in download mode.

a ready made jig can cost $5-10

or you can make one with 3 x 100k ohm resisters.. which cost you 1 rupee or less.

i just made one.

This is the method and it worked like a charm.. :)
This i know how to get in to DL or Recovery mode using the methods as u posted. But there are some captivate which does not have the 3 button feature enabled on them in that case if u brick ur phone and not able to get in DL how will u fix the phone, I want to know will JIG be able to do that ?

karankapoor said:
What if he bricks after upgrading to GB (incase) will he be able to get into download mode with the 3 button ?
If he doesn't have the three button combo working, he has to update bootloaders to get it. So risk of brick is equal whether he tries upgrading to GB or install a fix for 3-button combo or use Odin one click. All these update your bootloaders and if while flashing bootloaders anything goes bad, even the jig won't work.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

karankapoor said:
This i know how to get in to DL or Recovery mode using the methods as u posted. But there are some captivate which does not have the 3 button feature enabled on them in that case if u brick ur phone and not able to get in DL how will u fix the phone, I want to know will JIG be able to do that ?
It needs a self suicidal effort to brick your phone while 3-button combo is not working. If it is not working you are not supposed to flash ( go into download or recovery mode using adb and flash) if you don't have a jig.

Back