Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

Viral, how do you get a black notification bar? My current one is white and I always like my background notifications bars to be black. Also why does .avi file playback experience stutter? Is there a better video player which would allow good stability to play media files?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Viral, how do you get a black notification bar? My current one is white and I always like my background notifications bars to be black. Also why does .avi file playback experience stutter? Is there a better video player which would allow good stability to play media files?
I suppose that depends on your theme. Are you not on stock? The stock notification bar is black. Or are you referring to the notification tray?

I haven't had problems with video files on my phone. It may be the codec being used. Try other players like QQ Player, MoboPlayer, Rockplayer.

I have Bionix Frost custom rom loaded. The default notification bar at the top is white. As for the videos, how do you install/update the codecs?

I have noticed that both Opera and stock web browser don't have pinch zoom feature. What gives? :S

Ethan_Hunt said:
I have Bionix Frost custom rom loaded. The default notification bar at the top is white. As for the videos, how do you install/update the codecs?

I have noticed that both Opera and stock web browser don't have pinch zoom feature. What gives? :S
Try to flash other theme with black notification bar :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw, good news for Galaxy S users :) Galnet just retired from MIUI development for SGS. But he will be releasing first version of his own ROM on friday. Stay tuned on XDA :)

For those who don't know who is Galnet, he's one of the best android developer so far. When MIUI released, it was like CRAP for SGS. Battery drain was huge, almost 60% features were not working. Galnet started working on MIUI and now till the last release, he fixed ALMOST EVERYTHING. Battery life is great, UI is smooth and fast, there's no memory leak. ROM is not heavy for phone. Everything's awesome

You can try MIUI if you like iPhonish look. Believe me, you'll say "Android UI sucks" after using MIUI

^ Yeah MIUI is sick!! Check out the latest video for 1.6.17 Beta7. It is pure awesomeness!!

Ethan_Hunt said:

Look for themes with a black notification bar for Bionix Frost. I think the stock Bionix Frost theme has a white notification bar.

As for codecs, I don't think you can install them seperately. What I meant was your video file may be using a codec which the video player can't play properly. Is it a problem with all videos? Try another app and see if it works.

The stock video player actually works the best for me.

Both the stock browser and Opera have pinch and zoom. That's weird. :S Are you sure you're doing it right? :p

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely need to experiment a bit more. Another quick question; which screen protector can I get for the front screen and any soft pouch recommendations?

@Allwyn, The Korean screen protector was not good? Try the Amzer Clear screen, its good.

As far as the black notification bar, get this. Its from the same developer of your current rom but has much much more tweaks and fixes.

The ROM u currently is the one which properly popped the cherry so to speak, so the features are going to be limited. Get the Black Ice and u will have a far better experience.

Try these players in the descending order : Rock player , Vplayer, Act 1 Player. Your phone is capable of playing 720p videos without a snag, so its mostly a software issue.

Mem, I borked the installation of the screen protector and it formed a lot of bubbles. Got frustrated & removed it. :p

Any link for the Amzer clear screen? Price? How is this?

Thanks for the link of the notification bar. But that's loading a whole new custom ROM right? How do I do that? Does it automatically overwrite the existing one? Will the phone get locked again? Also will the phone get locked if, say, Gingerbread officially releases and I update to it?

@Ethan, The Screenguard that u mentioned has to be applied with soap water, its not as scary as it sounds but if u are feeling adventurous do go for it. This is the Amzer website, check out the last section.

Yes its loading a completely new ROM, but apart from the black notification it has a lot of tweaks that would really help u in the course of the day.

First off u have ODIN back to a stock rom, then u have to place the .zip file in ur SD card and Boot into recovery and select the zip file and flash.

Unlocking happens in a part of the EPROM which is not accessed during the normal upgrading of ur custom roms including GB, so there is nothing to worry. Rooting however depends on the ROM itself, the Black ICE comes rooted and so does most of the custom roms out there.

Flashing roms is pretty easy. Be sure to read the stickies on how to flash and you know how to get back if you get stuck somewhere.
As memnom mentioned phone won't get locked after flashing a rom. Also almost every custom rom is rooted too.

Try out roms from EDT. They're pretty awesome. Project-V is a great 2.2 rom. If you want 2.2.1, Bi-winning v3 is great too.

Be sure to read how to flash each rom in their respective threads. Although most froyo roms are pretty simple to flash, some might need different methods or something more needs to be flashed.

As for screen guards, I don't use any and no pouch as well. :D
I've always wanted to use a phone without anything on it. Gorilla glass has enabled me to do that now. :D
However, it still can be scratched. So better have something on if your afraid of getting scratches on the screen.

Hi,

I have just bought Galaxy S yesterday and its my first Android mobile, hence, I have lotsa queries regarding this and will be putting in some of those queries into this thread. Please help me out in whatever way you can.

Thanks.

Gauge said:
Which is the best stable 2.3.4 ROM for Vibrant?
Most stable would be Gingerbread Blitzkrieg since it has a GPS fix. Though the GPS doesn't work for me still.

CM7 and MIUI are pretty stable as well, without the GPS.

Mem, those Amzer cases are excellent. I was planning to get the screen guard and the Jelly case. But the screen guard has a home screen cut out adjusted for the Indian version of Galaxy S, whereas our Vibrant doesn't need one. Should I go for it?

Also, what would you pick for the back? Jelly case or Argyle skin?

Argyle has a tendency to scratch the back and sides of the phone but it offers a tad more protection, the Jelly case is far better in the back-scratching department.

The indian version has a small hole in the lower end, it would not have any impact on the functioning, aesthetically its bit of a downer, but the trade off is worth the protection.

@gauge, the SimpleHoney is ROM is really smooth and fast, i would even go as far as to say its the best GB rom out there now, the gps fix works properly but if u turn off the gps u have to reboot the phone to enable it again, which is a common problem in almost all JVP bases ROMs.

What about Asgard 3.1? Does look good to me.

I'll try both. :) I dont care about the GPS as i dont use it much. Smoothness and looks are priority.

Back