Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

It all depends on u what all you want to back up I always back up before I flash a rom, yes u can root your phone using the one click root its pretty easy to use that tool.

trigger said:
Do I need to back up the files before rooting the phone? Is there a chance of bricking? I'm planning to use One Click Root/UnRoot..
If it involves only rooting and not flashing, you can skip taking backup of files though always advisable to keep backup of efs folder. If your firmware allows installation of non market applications you can use z4root to root your phone.

Which radio image (modem) you prefer for SGS for Indian networks? I am using JVO pretty good but sometimes there is loss of signal.. :( How's DDJV4 radio?

karankapoor said:
This i know how to get in to DL or Recovery mode using the methods as u posted. But there are some captivate which does not have the 3 button feature enabled on them in that case if u brick ur phone and not able to get in DL how will u fix the phone, I want to know will JIG be able to do that ?
the post you quoted in itself answered all your questions. kindly read again.

do not use odin without clearing your doubts.

trigger said:
Do I need to back up the files before rooting the phone? Is there a chance of bricking? I'm planning to use One Click Root/UnRoot..
you need not (and i think can not) unlock without rooting (unless with an unlock code)

rooting will not mess the /efs partition.

what you need to backup is the /efs partition or atleast the nv_data.bin

no one may be able to help you if you manage to damage that file. that file contains your imei info and will render your cellphone to work as a media device only incase of corrupt imei.

It is a preventive action to backup that file for use in future as we can not rma the device in india.

Treat for our Galaxy S phones. A small how-to video for running nVidia Tegra games onto our phones.

Also, the latest version of Continuum i.e. v5.6 is out and for me it is by far the smoothest Gingerbread ROM for my captivates. A must try for all Cappy owners. It runs on TalonDev 0.2.2. :)

Hi all, I recently upgraded my phone from samsung wave s8500 to samsung galaxy s I9000 i must say galaxy s is an awesome phone but their is one short coming,Previously wave used to support the idbi net banking site in its default dolphin browser but in galaxy s none of the browser supports the site i tried all the available browsers.I'm on android 2.3.3.Can anybody give a solution to this problem.

Gauge said:
Treat for our Galaxy S phones. A small how-to video for running nVidia Tegra games onto our phones.

Also, the latest version of Continuum i.e. v5.6 is out and for me it is by far the smoothest Gingerbread ROM for my captivates. A must try for all Cappy owners. It runs on TalonDev 0.2.2. :)
Using Chainfire for a while now. Works great. :D

trigger said:
Quick Q:

I'm on 2.2 Perception Build 9 on my Captivate, but it shows Model number as SGH-T959D. Shouldn't it be SGH-i897?
Depends on the custom Rom installed. Many of them still show the product code of the original phone on whose firmware the rom is based upon? Many purposefully do so to enable use of various application like i9000 for swype.

Is it really necessary to go back to stock if i am already on a GB Rom (Darky 10.1), cant i directly install a custom GB ROM (Continuum 5.6) via Recovery?

I just got my Vibrant 4G. Now since there isn't a physical 'Home' button at the bottom, I have to keep pressing the stand by/power button on the right to keep revive the screen from stand by. Is there any app to relive me from this? Else can those touch sensitive buttons be of any help and not go of at all?

^^You can try WidgetLocker which has features to allow back button etc. to unlock! Never tried it but it should work!

You mean with this app, it should allow the bottom 'back' button to be used to revive the screen from stand by? Will try it. Thanks Pat.

Seems that official gingerbread for galaxy S has leaked. Time to enjoy cappy's "audience chip" with Gingerbread.

This update even retains the traditional 3 button combo.

Whats the difference between Samsung Vibrant and SGS ? apart from 4G stuff worth to get Vibrant ?

^ Vibrant comes in 2 models. One is the normal Samsung Vibrant and the other is Samsung Vibrant 4G.

Samsung Vibrant does not have front facing camera, while Samsung Vibrant 4G and SGS has a front facing camera.

Samsung Vibrant and SGS have 7.2Mbps HSDPA while Samsung Vibrant 4G has 21Mbps HSDPA.

Both Samsung Vibrant has all touch keys in the bottom, the SGS has a physical home button.

Back