Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

memnom said:
Argyle has a tendency to scratch the back and sides of the phone but it offers a tad more protection, the Jelly case is far better in the back-scratching department.

The indian version has a small hole in the lower end, it would not have any impact on the functioning, aesthetically its bit of a downer, but the trade off is worth the protection.

The Jelly case would also stick into the pocket right? Does the Jelly case offer more protection from accidental drops?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Mem, I borked the installation of the screen protector and it formed a lot of bubbles. Got frustrated & removed it. :p

Any link for the Amzer clear screen? Price? How is this?

I'm using this gadgetshieldz Scratch Guard.. I would say, it's good.. and does it job pretty well. And yes application is far easier than it looks in the instruction/manuals...

Gauge said:
What about Asgard 3.1? Does look good to me.

I'll try both. :) I dont care about the GPS as i dont use it much. Smoothness and looks are priority.
I'm running Asgard 3.1 and it's pretty nice. :)

Haven't tried Simply Honey though so can't compare.

@memnom - Good to know GPS is working for you. Unfortunately, the GPS fix still isn't working for me. Waiting for a GB leak soon now. :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Btw, if you aren't worried about GPS, try CM7 or MIUI. Both of them are amazing!! :D

No the Argyle actually offers more protection than the silicone, but no matter what u choose u have to be a bit careful with the phone in regard to the dropping part, if u want relatively absolute protection go with Trident Cyclops Case it would set u back around 1.3k but it would save ur phone from almost every scenario u can imagine.

@Trigger, exactly how easy is it, i always adhered to the very simple logic of water + electronic is a huge no no. But if you say its really easy might give it a shot.

@Viralbug, i never tried Asgard 3.1 but comparing CM7, MIUI, SH yielded a me SH as the clear winner. The GPS does work but cant turn it off and on again.

CM has a RC1 out now, seems to have addressed most of the issue. Will have to see how that works out.

How do you get your applications to install on the external memory card? Since this phone doesn't have 16Gb INTERNAL memory like it's Indian cousin, how do you rectify this part?

Hi,

I am the newest member in this family, I guess, just got the Galaxy S 4-5 days back, it came with Android 2.2 preinstalled.

Now can anyone tell me some Dos and Donts for this mobile?

Price update

Samsung Galaxy S i9000 now retailing locally for 2500-21k with bill warranty.

buy before it runs out of stock.

a friend bought one yesterday locally for 20800.

no this is nt a mistake, it is i9000.

simforgotten said:
Hi,

I am the newest member in this family, I guess, just got the Galaxy S 4-5 days back, it came with Android 2.2 preinstalled.

Now can anyone tell me some Dos and Donts for this mobile?
Dos -

- Read tutorials on How to Root, How to Flash. Welcome to world of Lots of customizations. You can't be satisfied with Stock ROM.

- After Reading appropriate tutorials, Root your phone. And then think about flashing (there are many SAFE methods, they won't brick your phone).

- Update ROM to 2.3.4 Gingerbread :)

- Apply Screen Protector :bleh:

- Download tons of apps from Market :)

Donts -

- I never really think about "Donts" for SGS :p It is awesome phone.

Help again:

My phone's boot up has suddenly become very slow. The Team Whiskey and Galaxy S logo loads fine, but when it comes to the main launcher, it blacks out for quite sometime. I keep tapping on the home screen button and after some tries it loads up. What could be wrong?

Also, when trying to initiate a group chat on GTALK yesterday, it would crash the app and ask me to force close it. Read up on the internet and it seems to be a known issue fixed in new update.

Last question, can I update my phone to Gingerbread from Kies now or it's still not officially out? Why the f*ck does Samsung not release it's firmware updates simultaneously for all it's models. This is pathetic. BTW I have the Vibrant 4G with Bionix Frost ROM installed.

GB is not officially out, but there is a stock, deodexed version u might wanna try out. but Actung! it requires u to install a diff boot loader and a kernel before u could install the rom itself.

As far the slow down, since it only happens when the launcher.apk is well... launched it might have something to do with an app u installed, did u install any new apps like widgets or a new launcher or stuff like that?

If u don't have any problem with this, go to CWM and clear the data cache and the other cache once, u do that ur phone would get back to normal, if it does then its an app problem, if it doesn't then its a rom problem.

Try trigger gs4g 0.4, i dunno how i missed it but it seems way better than ur current rom.

what rom are you guys preferring on the captivate as your daily driver at present?

Need something very stable, as much as possible.

user will be noob so cutting edge features do not matter.

madnav said:
what rom are you guys preferring on the captivate as your daily driver at present?
Need something very stable, as much as possible.

user will be noob so cutting edge features do not matter.
Believe it or not.. Andromeda and Firefly, best for daily driver ROM's. Andromeda in particular.

no GB roms please as they are not without bugs.

any froyo rom will do as long as it works. performance does not matter. user is not a power user.

will try andromedia and firefly tonight and use the one that seems bugs free.

I was on S7 since the day it was out but shifted to Mosaic V, Both are pretty stable but i more liked the mosaic with montage theme

i just love it.

I'm on Perception 9. I would like to try Andromeda3. Do I need to flash back to default ROM first before putting the new one in using 'I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0.rar'?

Back