Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

big.bad.boi said:
Hey, are service center guys updating Galaxy S 2.1 or 2.2 to gingerbread? Also anyone knows what's the price for Galaxy 2?

Called up service center, they will update 2.1 or 2.2 to 2.3 after 25th april & cost of Galaxy S 2 is 30,000rs ( divine cell, dadar )

Sad, if i'd knew i would have waited for G2 :(

The re-sell value of Galaxy I9000 as per them ( Divine Cell ) comes to 10,000 or 12,000.
most resellers are now referring Nexus S as galaxy S2... checked with a few dealers in my locality too.. so confirm before you conclude...

and awesome if you can actually find galaxy s2 even before samsung launches it globally!!!

mgdelhi said:
Hi. Seeing your post, I have installed Darky's ROM 9.5 Extreme Cappy Edition and then installed JK4 modem. Thanks.

Now, Under Band Selection (*#2263#), Can you suggest what band should I select under WCDMA and GSM. Should it be 900 in both? BTW, it is for Vodafone/Airtel in NCR.
Vodafone /Airtel in NCR have spectrum in both GSM900 (8mhz/ 9 mhz) and GSM1800(2mhz) band and 3g in WCDMA2100 band. The default settings of JK4 should fine. BTW the latest KC1 modem is also very good

mgdelhi said:
Got my Captivate i897 with original ROM and locked. Rooted ad unlocked.

Now going to install custom 2.2 ROM.

Is clockworkrecovery is enough to install ROM or I need ODIN also ?

Installing ROM divides in two ways. All stock ROMs are flashed using Odin (Some custom ROMs like Darky's Resurrection Edition 9.2). Custom ROMs are available in zip so user can easily flash them using CWM recovery.
hunt3r said:
Ive been on Bionix 1.3.1 on my Vibrant and was on Serendipity 6.2 for my bro's Captivate.

Have had no major issues with Bionix, its been working fairly well. But GPS is screwed up. Yet to install the GPS fix so will install it and report back. I Installed the hacked captivate camera and its much easier to take pics with the power button now. Layout of the camera buttons is also a lot better than the stock Vibrant camera.

Bro wasnt happy with Serendipity so installed Darky's yesterday. Hes a lot happier with Darky;s ROM and its very customisable using the app provided. GPS was also a lot better and almost accurate (about 20m off, but the blade was better, placed me like within 5 m). Had the same modem problem as you said so switched to UGGL2 modem and its been working well. Maybe i'll try out the Vibrant edition of Darky's and see how that is

Looking forward to a good 2.3.3 ROM in the coming weeks :D

Edit: How do i install Allshare on the Vibrant? Bionix didnt come with it, and wasnt able to install it using Titanium backup (after backingit up from the Captivate)
I am working with Darky for his development since version 5.0 Gingerbread edition. Trust me, we've got some of very very talented developers like ficeto. Now Darky's ROM has it's own kernel named Dark Voodoo (based on Supercurio's Voodoo). Darky should be best thing for your vibrant.

I suggest you to wait for one or two more weeks. Current Gingerbread builds are too bulky :mad:, unstable. Has some very serious memory leak issues. Samsung will start giving updates for Galaxy S in 3rd week of April. Maybe they'll release another gingerbread build. Let's see.

@Rahulrulez I request you to be more active on this thread as you are our only direct link to developer community. Can you explain why some modems that works so well with other users, just refuses to work with our captivate. Till date I've found success only with Aries based modems and I9088 KB1 modem.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Tried two new roms this weekend. Ultimate 8.2.1 and SuperNova 4.1.

Liked the looks of Ultimate ROM but it lacked some of the very basic bundled apps (not even a filer app). Very very limited choice of Ringtones. The Rom felt fast but camera app freezed and caused a restart the very first time I was using it. Got annoyed and uninstalled this after 4 hours.

Second was Supernova that came with onix 2.0.3 kernel and JK4 modem. Upgraded the kernel to Onix 2.0.5 nad modem to kc1. So far so good but purple theme is a bit too much. Getting a terrible battery drain presently ( almost 1% every 10-15 minutes of standby with every thing like data,gps and wifi turned off). But I hope it will improve with 2-3 cycles. Will update about this. Haven't tested the GPS performance. In all Darky's ROM is still better as per first impressions.

I am new to all this, I had downloaded the captivate tool and all the links in the next line smoothest combination what to do next as the tools says copy just the rom and cwm and reboot into recovery. What are the other 2 links are for please explain.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Done with the rom update look good but what i liked the most is all the at&t shortcuts are gone. Dint liked the layout of the rom its dark.

One more thing does after upgrading to serendipity any felt the touch of the screen is not as good as the stock version.

Off late I was experiencing lots of problems in getting a GPS Lock with Darky's ROM. Tried various modem combinations. So switched to Firefly 2.9 today. GPS and Rom as a whole looks impressive so far. In this ROM also tweaks and lagfixes has to be enabled manually in recovery. Liking this ROM and will definitely keep it for some time unless I spot some major bug/problem.

guys,

need urgent help...

I need to unlock my samsung vibrant. But i don't know how to do it.

It got FROYO 2.2 in it. Please help and tell me how to do it.

nikhilpoddar said:
guys,

need urgent help...

I need to unlock my samsung vibrant. But i don't know how to do it.

It got FROYO 2.2 in it. Please help and tell me how to do it.
1. Root the phone, if it is already not rooted.

2. Search for "SGS unlock" in market, install it and run it.

^ CF-Root ftw, It roots your phone, installs CWM recovery too. Make sure the version you're flashing is correct. (e.g. JVK, JS8.....)

Update for Galaxy S I9000 users.

We've got a huge upgrade for gingerbread with XWJVB. This is the fastest gingerbread version from Samsung. It is much smoother than any custom ROM, super speedy and damn stable.

XWJVB with bootloader - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! ----> Safe bootloaders, will not disable download mode. Personally flashed this.

XWJVB without bootloader - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Root - CF-ROOT Thread --> CF-Root for XWJVB

Rahulrulez said:
^ CF-Root ftw, It roots your phone, installs CWM recovery too. Make sure the version you're flashing is correct. (e.g. JVK, JS8.....)

Update for Galaxy S I9000 users.

We've got a huge upgrade for gingerbread with XWJVB. This is the fastest gingerbread version from Samsung. It is much smoother than any custom ROM, super speedy and damn stable.

XWJVB with bootloader - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! ----> Safe bootloaders, will not disable download mode. Personally flashed this.

XWJVB without bootloader - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Root - CF-ROOT Thread --> CF-Root for XWJVB
Where can i find more on the above they are just links need more info on them.

I bought "Samsung Captivate Full-Body Scratch Guard Protector" from ebay seller "gadgetshieldz".

eBay India: Samsung Captivate Full-Body Scratch Guard Protector (item 250801068325 end time 07-May-2011 20:03:11 IST)

Seller couriered it very promptly next day and I got it in 2-3 days. Acknowledged receipt on eBay and gave good positive feedback.

Yesterday, I went to Nokia Priority Dealer (good rapport with him over the years) to get it applied because I can't do it myself.

They opened the envelop (plain white document envelop, with all pieces without any brand/instruction, not even a single word in the envelopment about product/instruction, or anything else) and found that it is of very poor quality. It is just like a car film (cut in required Captivate shape) with no proper method to fix it. I also saw it. They tried to apply on the front and bottom piece. Could not be applied. Both piece went in dustbin. Other pieces are lying useless.

Complete waste of money. :mad:

Yeah, I did not read the instruction on the listing.

Sent a message to eBay seller also, and he replied that the instruction are on listing itself, the only I came to know about the instructions.

If they were with the packaging, I would have read it. Call it my mistake or something else but instructions have always come with the products I have ever bought.

If I had read them, I'ld have anyways not bought it, not my cup of tea spending 35-40 minutes to install screen/body protectors. Never installed any screen protector in my life.

trigger said:
^^ didn't you follow the instructions in the listing? Please confirm, as I am also looking for one for my captivate..

Back