Samsung S23 or A55 ?

blr_p

Skilled
Which to get?

Or

Both S23 (8GB+256) & A55 (8GB+256) for 43k

For 3k more you can get the A55 with12GB+256

Both will get four OS upgrades but the A55 starts at 14 whereas the S23 launched with 13

The A55's battery will beat galaxy S+ (let alone S) models for half the price if you accept a slightly less capable camera.

Did I mention the A55 comes with a microSD slot.

It's possible the A55's price will reduce further but the S23 might not be available later.

I'm also wondering whether the FK S23 offer can be trusted as Amazon can't match it for much more?

And Samsung wants 70k on their site for the same specs S23

Attachments

• A55 batt vs the rest .png
    A55 batt vs the rest .png
    442 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I won't buy a transparent case, lost interest in those years ago for practicality. Spigen non-transparent cases for 1k have been good for me. I used a Spigen case on my S20FE for 2+ years, then part of the case above the power button broke. Replaced with another one which is fine.

For glass vs Gadgetshieldz screen protector, need to take a call. Other than amfilm, one option is 200-300 glass from a local store.
thats your call, but if you are worried about the muddy yellow color that creeps up over time, then you fine with this case, i got my father the same for his note 10 pro max, its been 4 years and still the case looks almost brand new

if you want protection, kapaver is the one, I doubt that spigen would give much protection if any from falls

Doesn't the Spigen glass come with the tray for installation? The current listing shows it:

I might go for this if I buy glass:
Not so impressed with the applicator i got with the caseology. It grips very lightly and can be moved off if not careful.

Given a choice it's not necessary but if the part you peel off is larger than the screen then you need it.

Putting tpgs on isn't difficult so long as underside sticker you peel off is the same size as the glass. With my earlier phones this was the case which means you can use the door hinge method.

Place glass on the screen, align. Use the dust stickers to make two hinges with the phone body. So now the screen protector pivots like a door. Pull the back off with tpg above phone and drop it on the phone. Can't miss. Works with shaky hands and should work with no dust caught if you are not in a windy room.
Has 2x glass for 750, has tray but has a U notch.
I think that notch put me off as you have to get it exactly right. If the applicator is decent you should be ok.
Ribbed edges on the side for grip but back won't be. Thats what irritates with spigen. Also no corner protection. This caseology offers more in protection.

Apparently this S23 has glass on the back as well. I didn't realise that.

First case I picked up was this tpu generic that was surprisingly comfortable in the hand and raised lips on the front and back. The price is surprisingly low for a case that encloses the three camera lenses (sign of better quality) than cases with one cutout for all three. Corner protection is the only thing lacking.
if you want protection, kapaver is the one, I doubt that spigen would give much protection if any from falls
This ringke is much better with corner protection if this is the look you want.

Not much selection with this kpaver brand with only two cases available for S23.
if you are worried about the muddy yellow color that creeps up over time, then you fine with this case, i got my father the same for his note 10 pro max, its been 4 years and still the case looks almost brand new
For reference, transparent harder pvc (used for the back ) won't discolour.

Transparent and softer TPU will, everytime and within a few months regardless of brand.

So if the whole case is transparent tpu then all will discolour. If its a mix of transparent tpu on the sides and transparent pvc on the back then only the sides will discolour. This is why you go for the black sides unless you don't mind replacing with same case every few months.

Last edited:
have you used ringke before? I have never heard of it, but the cover does look good
Korean, direct competitor to spigen. Their cases feel more grippy. But selection depends on the phone. Not too much for S23 than others for some reason.

They also do lanyards. Their cases are designed with holes on both sides.

Shoulder strap. Can't figure why I would need that but its for hands free. Useful around the home maybe when you're doing other things.

Hand straps. Can be useful for people that drop the phone more often.

Both come with quick release tabs. So well designed but quite pricey and not as long lasting according to the reviews.

Might be a fairly controversial opinion, but I use my S23 without a case, been using it this way since launch (1.5 years). Yes, It has scratches on the metal frame, but the front/back glass is still impeccable and I find paying top money for a great build quality, only to put it in a inferior quality case counter intuitive. The reason I chose the base S23 (as opposed to plus/ultra) was because of the size, and putting it in a case takes away that advantage. I'm not telling anyone to not put a case on their expensive new phone, just stating what I do and why.

Yeah and I've heard many tales of woe about broken screens and the ever increasing repair price.

How much to fix a broken S23 screen? A broken back. With glass it becomes necessary otherwise its dangerous.

Cases are mostly used by people that want to resell in a mint condition after a short period. I find using a phone without a case quite odd. The rounded slippery metal edges means i will drop it.

No my phones are mint years later but the cases are beaten up good having handled lots of drops. I don't want to have to worry about drops.

Another reason for a tpg is once the oleophobic layer wears off after a year or more you just replace the tpg and start over. I didn't do this with my first phone years ago and regretted it as the screen got harder to use and the better accessories weren't available.

Do you have any recommendations for cheap tempered glass that don't have the black borders.
Other than the amfilm, no. But you have that notch to line up

Cheaper than that aren't always sized properly. So i don't bother with them. Maybe you can ask at a mobile store and have them install it as well

Surprised they still come with black borders. The one i applied on the S20FE from spigen had one. Very wierd one to apply as well. Didn't get the circle to line up completely with the front facing camera but the front facing camera seems ok.

Here's something to think about

A cheaper tpg will not break and instead transfer the force onto the main screen. This may break the main screen or not.

The more expensive one breaks and saves the main screen by absorbing the shock. Doesn't have to be as expensive as the one he has. Spigen grade is good enough.

So the more expensive tpg will protect the screen better. Upto a point.

I say also get a case with elevated lips that will give added protection.

Last edited:
I doubt that spigen would give much protection if any from falls
No cover will give protection from a serious fall, friend had all the covers & tempered glass screen protectors & none saved his phones when dropped from a height which anyone with a bad luck that day would encounter in their home.
@OMEGA44-XT @ze_cook

@blr_p that type of "staged fall" isn't an indicator of how things will turn out in real life.

@blr_p that type of "staged fall" isn't an indicator of how things will turn out in real life.
It makes the case which will protect better. That's why i added the upto a point qualifier after.

This isn't gshock 10m height drop grade of course.

How do you define a serious fall?

Mil standard helps which the ringke has.

My drops are mostly bed to floor or table to floor. At least fifty times in a year. I know a number of people who have cracked the screen from those heights by going naked.

It makes the case which will protect better. That's why i added the upto a point qualifier after.

This isn't gshock 10m height drop grade of course.
That isn't anything. In real life your phone will fall while rotating/taking turn a bit in air & strike the ground at an angle along with the momentum of your body/hand at the time of the fall. There are so many factors that basically the only sure thing is that irrespective of a 100 rupees or 2000 rupees case your luck will be the deciding factor on whether your phone will survive the fall or not. Better to go with a "physical damage insurance" plan if phone is costly enough to make it worth taking it.

That isn't anything. In real life your phone will fall while rotating/taking turn a bit in air & strike the ground at an angle along with the momentum of your body/hand at the time of the fall.
True and it's very difficult to model that level of randomness.
There are so many factors that basically the only sure thing is that irrespective of a 100 rupees or 2000 rupees case your luck will be the deciding factor on whether your phone will survive the fall or not.
There are definitely case differences that will greatly increase your survival chances.

Here is one for example and another.

Think of a helmet. Yes won't protect always but its law you wear one.

Corner of S23+ cracked from a waist high face down drop. Back does no better.

This is why i go on about corner protection

No surprises if dropped from higher at six feet

Unusable after one drop at 6 feet @ze_cook :(
Better to go with a "physical damage insurance" plan if phone is costly enough to make it worth taking it.
Great idea. Who offers that in India. What are their conditions.

Anti theft would be a nice add on too.

I remember one plus offering a reduced rate for screen breaks caused by the user some time ago. But that is a vendor specific offer and conditional on the phone model.

Last edited:
No cover will give protection from a serious fall, friend had all the covers & tempered glass screen protectors & none saved his phones when dropped from a height which anyone with a bad luck that day would encounter in their home.
@OMEGA44-XT @ze_cook

Yes, but some protection is better than no protection.

My S20FE fell a lot as I prefer using phone with one hand & it is my biggest phone yet in terms of size. Phone's screen never cracked, one tempered glass cracked. It is still using its 2nd tempered glass & 2nd case over 3 years of usage now.

Back