Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

Check if the file system is mounted properly. My guess is that the file system is not mounted and your torrent client is writing directly to root FS in that location.

jijojose79 said:
No, it's mounted properly and it's writing files to /sg320 mounted FS only.....
Transmission has a working directory where it saves files in progress. Thats getting saved on the 320 as well? Check.

Alternately, check size of directories and see which one increases in size as the downloading proceeds. Then you can narrow down on the cause.

jijojose79 said:
No, it's mounted properly and it's writing files to /sg320 mounted FS only.....
Check if the transmission-daemon user has write permissions to the /sg320 folder, or just chmod the /sg320 folder to 777.

hi all,

Thanks all.

problem is solved, it was the issue with fstab, it was not mounted properly. So, it transmission downloaded all files to directory /sg320 in root.

regards

Jijo

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

again, i am facing fs (ext4) issue after power failure, it wont boot next time after power failure.

I used to detach HD from dock and connet to ubundu on wmware to do fsck.

Is there any alternate methods ?. It makes little difficult as power failure is frequent at my home. :-(

regards,

This is known issue.

You can reboot the dockstar in recovery mode and run "e2fsck" from there. Else you can force filesystem check at every boot - but that is very time consuming.

^ I am on ext3 root partition, and I'm not facing any issue after a power failure. In my area there will be atleast 2-3 power failures a day although it will last for only 1-2 minutes and the device boots without any issue. I haven't done an fsck manually for the the past 3 months and my dock is switched on 24/7! :)

archat68 said:
This is known issue.

You can reboot the dockstar in recovery mode and run "e2fsck" from there. Else you can force filesystem check at every boot - but that is very time consuming.
@archat: My root partition(the one that always gets corrupted :p) is only 2Gb, so regular fsck shouldnt be a problem.

2 queries:

1. How to do recovery mode and then e2fsck?

2, How to set it to force filesystem check at every boot? Help!

^ Convert the root partition to ext3 and you wouldn't have to worry about fsck anymore! :p

Disconnect the pendrive/harddisk and it will boot into the default pogoplug install or the recovery mode if you have installed it. Within pogoplug you won't be able to run fsck as it doesn't support the ext2/3 filesystems.

varkey said:
^ Convert the root partition to ext3 and you wouldn't have to worry about fsck anymore! :p

Disconnect the pendrive/harddisk and it will boot into the default pogoplug install or the recovery mode if you have installed it. Within pogoplug you won't be able to run fsck as it doesn't support the ext2/3 filesystems.
I followed ur advice n converted it to ext3, but apparently, only direct conversion does NOT help. It still sees it as ext2, and STILL gets corrupted :p

Hmmm, i still have pogoplug installed, so no recovery mode and no fsck I guess :(

Ok, so how do I get it to do fsck every boot? SO long as it fixes stuff, I dont mind losing 10 min 2-3 times a day :)

^ To convert to ext3, connect the hard disk to another linux system. Then

tune2fs -j /dev/sda1

After that edit the fstab file to mount it as ext3. One additional step you need to do is

fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3

After the above steps, the root fs will be mounted as ext3. Even my partition was ext2 initially and I converted to ext3 and now no problems at all.

It usually does an fsck at boot time automatically if there is an error, but the issue is it doesn't even boot from the hard disk to reach the fsck stage.

varkey said:
^ To convert to ext3, connect the hard disk to another linux system. Then

After that edit the fstab file to mount it as ext3. One additional step you need to do is

After the above steps, the root fs will be mounted as ext3. Even my partition was ext2 initially and I converted to ext3 and now no problems at all.

It usually does an fsck at boot time automatically if there is an error, but the issue is it doesn't even boot from the hard disk to reach the fsck stage.
already done the tune2fs thing. Will do the other steps as well and will update.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Getting error on trying fw_setenv

root@debian:/etc# fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3

Read error on /dev/mtd0: Cannot allocate memory

^ Didn't see your updated post. Anyway did you get it working now? If not, try from Pogoplug shell instead of debian.

I did the above steps on my friends dockstar two days back and it didn't show an error like that.

varkey said:
^ Didn't see your updated post. Anyway did you get it working now? If not, try from Pogoplug shell instead of debian.

I did the above steps on my friends dockstar two days back and it didn't show an error like that.
I didnt try again. Using on ext2 only ... Will try and update.

I had installed debian on my dockstar, everything goes fine and got the message of installation complete. However I havent rebooted the device. When i started it today to install additional package, I am not able to log in with default password, it shows access denied and there is no amber light which shows everything fine. Is there any problem during installation.

^ I think by default the LED does not work on debian. You can however configure it to your liking later, the instructions are there in Jeff's forum.

I am not able to install webmin, I have updated package list but it still shows cant find package. Also somebody please guide me to aoutomount 2 NTFS partition on the same HDD.

Back