Sony Xperia S/P/U/Sola/GO Thread

how can i use my computer internet connection into xperia sola (android vs 4 ICS) via BLUETOOTH (not wifi as wifi eats battery and i have slow internet on pc 20KB/s so bluetooth is good) ..aka reverse tethering bluetooth .

Thanks !!

how can i use my computer internet connection into xperia sola (android vs 4 ICS) via BLUETOOTH (not wifi as wifi eats battery and i have slow internet on pc 20KB/s so bluetooth is good) ..aka reverse tethering bluetooth .

How can you have internet over the Bluetooth protocol. =O

Okay I Google-d it and this seems worse than Wi-Fi, I mean the range will be screwed in the first place and the bandwidth will be just as bad if not worse than the PC you are trying to interface with. Anyway here is what I could find -- Need internet via bluetooth on my phone - Android Forums / Is it possible to reverse tether an Android phone? / http://eduyoshida.com.br/blog/2012/07/usar-a-internet-do-pc-no-android-reverse-tethering/.

thanks for the reply, but wasn't helpful a lot, I already googled a lot but couldn't find. I used gnubox with my n70 for bluetooth reverse tether. but what to do with this android ? they must have includef this feature, who told bluetooth is slow, I get more than 200KB /s via bluetooth. yes the range is a factor but enough for the room and that's what I want.

Okay guys I have at last bought the phone, its in my hand right now but I cannot use or touch the phone screen because neither do I have the screen guard nor a micro sim.
Now please answer my questions:
Is a screen guard really necessary for the Xperia S? If so, what will be the cheapest I can get one in the market for?

I have got just one sim and that is of vodafone, is there any way to cut the sim in such a manner so that I can get a micro sim and also an adapter for the sim, neither do I have a spare sim card nor am I able to go to the vodafone store?

Okay guys I have at last bought the phone, its in my hand right now but I cannot use or touch the phone screen because neither do I have the screen guard nor a micro sim.
Is a screen guard really necessary for the Xperia S? If so, what will be the cheapest I can get one in the market for?

I have got just one sim and that is of vodafone, is there any way to cut the sim in such a manner so that I can get a micro sim and also an adapter for the sim, neither do I have a spare sim card nor am I able to go to the vodafone store?

Your answers Sam, the screen-guard is your call I am using my go minus the screen-guard and with a bit of care and a lint free cloth no scratches till now (~1 month of usage).

About to cut the SIM --> micro-SIM is it absolutely necessary? Here is a video on the same --

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

If I am not wrong, all Xperia phones come with a factory fitted scratch guard. Try to look at the ear piece and the sides you would see it.

@randomuser111 I have a query. I flashed my phone using the .ftf uploaded on XDA Forums. So now my phone is locked to their update cycle (country of .ftf's origin) OR will it work on Indian update cycle?

Also how to root and install a custom kernel on the phone, my battery issues have been largely dissipated but phone heats up whilst gaming.

Thanks in advance, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
@alpha, you didn't get my point about the micro sim, you see I cannot afford to loose the normal sim, I want to cut the sim to micro sim while retaining the plastic portion to keep it as a sim adapter. So that I can then use my sim card later for other phones. But the trouble is I don't have a sim cutter.

@h20 I can't see any factory provided scratch guard.

Do you guys think it is harmful to use the phone without a scratch guard?

@alpha, you didn't get my point about the micro sim, you see I cannot afford to loose the normal sim, I want to cut the sim to micro sim while retaining the plastic portion to keep it as a sim adapter. So that I can then use my sim card later for other phones. But the trouble is I don't have a sim cutter.

@h20 I can't see any factory provided scratch guard.

Do you guys think it is harmful to use the phone without a scratch guard?

Doesn't the phone have a micro-SIM to SIM adapter bundled along with it? If no, inquire at the local phone-walla whether he has an adapter on him, it is a cheap plastic contraption; should not set you back by more than ~20/- quid.

No it is not harmful to use a phone without a screen-guard although chances of a scratch happening is rife and more importantly your finger-prints will be caking the screen (that is why I carry a lint-cloth). Cheerio!

XS doesn't come with a scratch guard. !

Even my phone was minus the scratch-guard. Bought from a SONY Centre.

^ Wow, if it takes such a trouble, then it is better to spend the 200 to 300 for the screen guard, right?
Okay as for the micro sim, I think then buying the adapter is my best bet right? Infact I heard that the adapter is nothing but the normal sim minus the micro sim. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay @randomuser111 dude, please can you give me a link or tell me how should I install ICS or Jelly Bean (if its available) on my new XS, one more thing, I think as this is not official from Sony so this requires flashing and will this flashing void my warranty?

If the screen has Gorilla Glass then Screen Guard is not really required. Sadly our phones don't :(

Sola is scratch resistance , however I've couple of guards with me. Don't wanna take chances.

@randomuser - Any catch with rooting (official updates?) ? How do I unroot just in case. Other than that when we can expect MIUI/CM rom for Sola :|

@randomuser111 I tried to upgrade the phone to .452 and ended up upgrading it to 4.0.4 I hope this is the latest update right? Is there anything further that I need to do about updating?

Hmmm. A lot of questions. :O

@sam9953

There is no need to get a screenguard. All Xperia S phones come pre installed with screen guard from factory. And it is NOT recommended you buy an extra screenguard.

Second, you can't use your normal sim's plastic remaining portion as micro to mini sim adaptor. You HAVE to buy a microSim adaptor/microSim cutter kit with free sim adaptors.

Also is your phone an India model with Sony warranty ? Import Date ?

Okay go to settings - About phone - Scroll Down to Build Number. Tel me what it says.

@ALPHA17

Yes now your phone is locked(not really) to the region the ftf belonged to. Of course you can change that by Installing Indian firmware later on. As for Custom Kernel on the Go, I haven't really checked if there is any kernel available for Go ICS. Will need to check
EDIT: I don't think there is any custom kernel out yet. Correct me if I'm wrong @comp@ddict

@Dark Star

Rooting won't affect updates from PC Companion. Only unlocking bootloader will. MIUI I have no idea. CM9.1 should come soon maybe by the end of the month.

@randomuser111

Yeah, I have looked at the edges and I can see a fine infact such a fine line that it does not even feel like a screen guard. After touching the screen it doesn't even seem as if there is a screen guard, it is slightly sticky not as smooth as a normal screen guard. You sure na that is the screen guard? Once you give me confirmation I will remove that plastic cover, been using the phone along with it, till now. LOL.

About the micro sim adapter, kit and cutter, did you buy it? I don't actually want to spend much money on this stuff now.

Yes, I checked everything on the box, it had the genuine seal, the place of import was also as mentioned by others previously.

The build number is 6.1.A.2.45
Is that fine?

I think certain carriers like Airtel and Vodafone provide a micro-sim if you go to their outlets, why not try that?

A question to everybody here, The Xperia Sola does come with a factory fitted Screen Guard, right?

@randomuser111

Yeah, I have looked at the edges and I can see a fine infact such a fine line that it does not even feel like a screen guard. After touching the screen it doesn't even seem as if there is a screen guard, it is slightly sticky not as smooth as a normal screen guard. You sure na that is the screen guard? Once you give me confirmation I will remove that plastic cover, been using the phone along with it, till now. LOL.

About the micro sim adapter, kit and cutter, did you buy it? I don't actually want to spend much money on this stuff now.

Yes, I checked everything on the box, it had the genuine seal, the place of import was also as mentioned by others previously.

The build number is 6.1.A.2.45
Is that fine?

LOL yes you can remove that. There is no need for any screenguard. In some countries you get an extra screenguard in addition to the factory installed one, whereas in India we get only 1 which is factory fitted.

As for the micro-sim it hardly costs 200 bucks to buy that kit, so don't think much.

Back