Spice Mi 410 or Moto Defy?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Advantages Spice Mi 410
  • Better Processor and GPU (QSD8255 1GHz+ Adreno 205)
  • WVGA 4.1" screen (Larger screen but Welcomm A99 seems to have 262k color. So Mi 410 might also have the same)
  • Slimmer profile
  • Front Camera
  • 720p playback, HDMI out
  • 13.3k from SAHOLIC after discounts
-ve of Spice is that its relatively new, the camera protudes in the back and thus might get smudged soon.

Advantages of Moto
  • More rugged
  • 16M color screen and better quality LCD
  • CM7 available
  • Larger battery
  • 14.3k from letsbuy with a BT headset worth ~Rs.600-700
-ve of Moto is that it has higher SAR value.

Both run Froyo (Moto will get it shortly)

I am not going to root it straight away. Only after 3-4 months.

Usage pattern:
  • My major usage is playing games (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc...)
  • Checking TE, Cricinfo via apps and browsing a bit.
  • Bit of music, videos
  • Occasional Snaps and video recording
  • I am planning to use it for 2 years.
I am super confused between the two. Help me out guys :huh:

My budget is 14k. So dont suggest Nexus S or O2X :p

Motorola DEFY vs. Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 - GSMArena.com

1. It seems to be a s.w bug. It doesnt seem to work with Google maps but seems to work with few other maps.(That too only rotate maps multi touch is the issue)
2. This was a concern to me too :(
3. Some say it does and some says its normal. May be the metal gets heated :(
4. Doesnt matter to me much as of now.
5. Issue with Froyo 2.2.1. Seems to be stable with 2.2.2
Even i am eager to see what i will decide :p Will order online on Sunday (mostly)

I won't vote for anything. If the poll is for "which is the best performer" - i'd vote for Spice Mi-410 hands down.
But "help me choose between two" - first i'll ask your requirements very thoroughly and then vote :)
@Dark Angel - If you really don't want to play shi**y games like asphalt 6, shadow hunter, modern combat 2 and other FPS and graphics intensive games, but only wanna play games like angry birds, fruit ninja etc., then go for Defy.
You really dunno how IMPORTANT the gorilla glass (&other ruggedness) is. I've dropped my SGS from above waist height and i'm thankful to the gorilla glass - NOT even a single naked eye scratch :) I don't even put screen guards... Also, it is light weight and very small on hands. Plus the American Brand Name! So many pluses for defy, but for X6 - only geeky pluses.

As you can in the video, the defy's USER INTERFACE is as fluid as X6. So day-2day usage is not affected by 800mhz.
Also is the store "saholic" a reputed online store? Cause i can't find mi-410 anywhere else...

I will play fun games. No Fifa, asphalt etc :p Agree with you on the ruggedness and advantages of the gorilla glass.
saholic customer care seems good. But yeah its a new site (Its Spice owned website. Thats why its avaialble there. The Mi 410 was officially lauched only couple of days back)

As you mentioned that you handle it roughly as well as you would use it for 2 years, I would compromise a little of the performance and opt for Moto Defy. It gives the peace of mind to go out in the monsoons with the phone in your pocket and the confidence that it can take some beating if need be. Besides, CM7 is one important aspect, at least for me.

^ - i totally forgot the monsoon factor! really cool. course, i don't bother protecting my SGS in rain, but still I won't take it out of my pocket.
But wow! DEFY is made for it! Can even take out during monsoon.
Now, I'm going to vote for DEFY.
@arun - thanks for reminding...

My vote goes for Defy...

Can Mi 410 survive this test... I dont think so... There are hardly many (or any) phones/ phone which can survive this test to tell the tale...

And IMO motion sensing games just sucks i have tried playing Asphalt on my iPod Touch 4G and the experience was very bad... And for surfing and apps 800MHz processor which defy has is pretty good enough... Plus moto's A.S.S is any day better than Spice's A.S.S... I really dont need to tell anything more as you yourself know whats good for you... ;)

Offtopic : I am buying Moto defy too... But just waiting for letsbuy to remove this f****** Defy + Bluetooth deal... My budget is max 14k just like you... I would have booked this phone yesterday only if they wouldn't have put the defy + bluetooth deal on...

^ - Asphalt 6 doesn't need accelerometer. Touching left half of screen steers towards left and touching right half steers right. Brake and nitrous buttons are at bottom. The best car game I've ever played in an mobile. superb graphics. But lately (after updating to 2.3.3 custom rom), the FPS is a bit laggy. I guess it is either because of custom rom or I had backed up and restored the game using Backup Root.
BTW, there are much more videos like that for DEFY. An Official video by vodafone too :)

@ Hades - Sell the BT off for Rs.500-600 :p Earlier it was 13.8 w/o BT. Now after selling BT you will get it for the same 13.7k-13.8k :p (After applying ICICILB ofcourse)

P.S: Defy has marched ahead to 20-12.

DarkAngel said:
Spice leads 7-2 :O Didnt expect such run away victory in early rounds :p (Even if we count bhupatib's vote for Defy its still 6-3)
Hopefully there is a major lead for one of the device to reduce my confusion.
@pauldmps - Yeah the horse power of GPUs might not matter now as both might be enough for almost all games in the android market. But considering that i keep the phone for 2 years i guess it will come in handy and thats why i still am confused.
The QSD8255 also OCes well. Just a larger no of custom ROMs is needed.
Personally i like the Spice's looks since its sleeker, edgy and that back panel is solid metal :D

Actually the PowerVR SGX530 is more in league(but better) than the Adreno 200.

THe adreno 205 is like the HD6850, not the beast GPU, but can play everything w/o hitches

@ darkangel : thanks for the rep.. My green blip just became 2 :)

I have had no lag whatsoever in playing asphalt6 on stock speed and 300/700/1100 overclock.. I have the entire library of gameloft downloaded on my defy and all games are super smooth... although I use task manager to keep unnecessary background apps from running.. Although in cm7 the audio when playing asphalt 5 is a bit wonky sometimes..

DarkAngel said:
Not sure. But COD orders takes longer AFAIK. Better to pay up in front so that they ship sooner. Someone who ordered Defy got it after 12 days (COD) and by that the price had dropped :p
Not necessarily mate, I think it's more to do with their stock or something. I ordered Logitech MK320 in one order and a Philips Mixer + Seagate 500GB in another order, both on 9th and paid using CC. I got MK320 within 2 days, the other order is not even shipped yet. :(

WTF? You can play asphalt 6 HD on defy without any LAG? can you please confirm whether it is the same on stock rom and out of the box settings (2.1 / 2.2).

And what about other HD game titles like NOVA 2 hD etc., is there any lag while playing FPS HD games?

St.John said:
@ darkangel : thanks for the rep.. My green blip just became 2 :)

I have had no lag whatsoever in playing asphalt6 on stock speed and 300/700/1100 overclock.. I have the entire library of gameloft downloaded on my defy and all games are super smooth... although I use task manager to keep unnecessary background apps from running.. Although in cm7 the audio when playing asphalt 5 is a bit wonky sometimes..

emmarbee said:
WTF? You can play asphalt 6 HD on defy without any LAG? can you please confirm whether it is the same on stock rom and out of the box settings (2.1 / 2.2).

And what about other HD game titles like NOVA 2 hD etc., is there any lag while playing FPS HD games?

Not on 2.1 mate... On 2.2 stock, stock cpu settings.. No lag...

On CM7, since CM7 already is over-clocked to 300/600/1000 so no probs.. And I don't use the accelerometer... Screen taps suits me better... Also, I'd like to point out the back up an restores always have issue... A

thanks for the info mate. i'll uninstall it and reinstall it again. (gameloft now allows us to reinstall any number of times).
and i'm going to spread this word. "Defy stock 2.2 can play ASPHALT 6 HD without any lag" - St.John TE member
BY sating CM7, You are mentioning about the CM7 by Quarx? And what is meant by OCéd to 300/600 - you mean underclokced right?

Back