Spice Mi 410 or Moto Defy?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Advantages Spice Mi 410
  • Better Processor and GPU (QSD8255 1GHz+ Adreno 205)
  • WVGA 4.1" screen (Larger screen but Welcomm A99 seems to have 262k color. So Mi 410 might also have the same)
  • Slimmer profile
  • Front Camera
  • 720p playback, HDMI out
  • 13.3k from SAHOLIC after discounts
-ve of Spice is that its relatively new, the camera protudes in the back and thus might get smudged soon.

Advantages of Moto
  • More rugged
  • 16M color screen and better quality LCD
  • CM7 available
  • Larger battery
  • 14.3k from letsbuy with a BT headset worth ~Rs.600-700
-ve of Moto is that it has higher SAR value.

Both run Froyo (Moto will get it shortly)

I am not going to root it straight away. Only after 3-4 months.

Usage pattern:
  • My major usage is playing games (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc...)
  • Checking TE, Cricinfo via apps and browsing a bit.
  • Bit of music, videos
  • Occasional Snaps and video recording
  • I am planning to use it for 2 years.
I am super confused between the two. Help me out guys :huh:

My budget is 14k. So dont suggest Nexus S or O2X :p

Motorola DEFY vs. Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 - GSMArena.com

What are you really going to do with the extra CPU/GPU power on spice? Other than some satisfaction that you can run High graphics games without much lag, it really isn't much use. Games like angry birds are enough for me. I'm getting one this month :D. .

emmarbee said:
thanks for the info mate. i'll uninstall it and reinstall it again. (gameloft now allows us to reinstall any number of times).

and i'm going to spread this word. "Defy stock 2.2 can play ASPHALT 6 HD without any lag" - St.John TE member

BY sating CM7, You are mentioning about the CM7 by Quarx? And what is meant by OCéd to 300/600 - you mean underclokced right?

YouTube - ‪Asphalt 6 Adrenaline HD na defy‬‏

Do you really need any more proof???

@emmarbee FYI, stock settings of the Defy CPU per Setvsel are 300/600/800 so 300/600/1000 is an overclock..
Last I checked CM7 for Defy is by Quarx.. has it changed lately ?? :) :)

DarkAngel said:
Not sure. But COD orders takes longer AFAIK. Better to pay up in front so that they ship sooner. Someone who ordered Defy got it after 12 days (COD) and by that the price had dropped :p
Unfortunately that'd be me... :( .. It's the one which I got for my friend...

Is it easy installin custom roms on defy ?

Installing Custom ROMs is easy, but you should read a LOT before that to understand the whole thing.. I did and my phone now rocks..

Where? I would still not buy Xperia X10 and choose Defy.

i) Its got old Snapdragon QSD8250 with Adreno 200. Adreno 200 is very weak by today's standards

ii) 384MB RAM (The likes of O1 P500, ZTE Blade have 512MB RAM)

iii) The screen is 65K color :O (The nokia 6030 i got 6 years again haa 65K color screen)

Other than the Camera and the audio quality the Defy is superior to the X10 in all ways. So stick to the Defy.

Had a chance at Mi 410 in a showroom today and also Htc Salsa..

1)Does anyone know if Mi 410 comes with Gorilla Glass screen? Or atleast a glass covered screen?

The Mi 410 I saw was covered with a plastic screen ala P500. If thats the case then The big 4.1" screen will be covered with fine little nicks very shortly...

2)The phone is big,metallic and slim.If anyone here has used HTC HD2,Its the same feeling..slightly narrower then Desire HD.

3)Most of the sealed Boxes in the showroom were not actually sealed! Blame the hotspot guys..

Regarding HTC Salsa,I know few guys were not happy That it was priced at 20k with essentially the same features as wildfire s or a P500.

Well Guys the thing happens to have an Alu unibody and chin like legend,and till lately Htc were selling the legend for 22k,So If you want a beautiful device I guess it makes sense,But surely not for us at TE ;)

@Darkangel

Ideos X6 has exactly zero community support. Specs are surely better then Defy,But if you are buying a device for your personal use I suggest the following

1) going to use device stock, just for music and games> X6

2)planning to play around with the device,install new ROMS to get better performance/features > Defy

Ah,just read in your original post that you are not planning to root the device 2-3 months.Well You get defy with 2.1 out of the box. SO anyway you will have to root to upgrade to froyo or GB/CM7

And believe me you will be checking XDA for new version of ROMS on a daily basis.

Android modding is known to be utterly addictive,, very corny I know... ;)

All in all go for motorola Defy. If you can increase the budget go for Nexus S. And avoid the desire at 15k(battery) and desire Z (keyboard)at 17k. They dont give anything extra over a defy.

regards,

aka.

@ aka911 rooting is not required to go from company 2.1 to company 2.2 firmware. There is a update tool available on motorola'website that allows updates your phone without you having to root it....

@ killmastern3, MIUI 1.6.17 became available yesterday.

@ kvikram, yes from cm7 and MIUI downgrading to Indian 2.2 is straight forward, go to stock recovery do a factory reset,restart in bootloader mode and flash Indian stock firmware.. that easy..

St.John said:
@ kvikram, yes from cm7 and MIUI downgrading to Indian 2.2 is straight forward, go to stock recovery do a factory reset,restart in bootloader mode and flash Indian stock firmware.. that easy..

I have to confess I didn't understand what you said :p. I should get my defy before asking questions I suppose.

Also, will I lose data in the process of installing miui or cm7, or restoring back?

St.John said:
@ aka911 rooting is not required to go from company 2.1 to company 2.2 firmware. There is a update tool available on motorola'website that allows updates your phone without you having to root it....

@ killmastern3, MIUI 1.6.17 became available yesterday.

Already on it. Flashed yesterday. Got to say, I love mini. I like it more than club the new lock screens are awesome.

@ kvikram, I guess you're still waiting to purchase an Android phone. I think you need to do a bit of research, to understand how to root, install custom roms. There is actually quite a few things to learn before you attempt to install a Custom Rom on your Android phone because god forbid if you get stuck and your phone gets bricked, you are in trouble.. It isn't really that difficult, but you should know what to do when and how. I suggest you skim the xda-developers forum to get a hang of things.

By data if you mean your contacts and songs, no. Songs will be stored in the SD Card and modded ROM's do not mess with the data in your SD Card. Contacts are always backed up on your gmail ID, so when you sync the first time after installing a new ROM, all your Contacts will be back on your phone. sms's can be backed up by quite a few apps in the market and you can take a back up off all the app's apk (installation files) by Titanium back up.

@ Voila, Its been more than a month the 2.2 official firmware for Indian Defy came out.

@ killmastern3, How did you mange to remove the chinese alphabets on the iphone type lockscreen?

killmastern3 said:
Another vote for Defy. It not only has CM7 but MIUI too and it rocks. And aka911 is right, it will be very hard to wait for 3-4 months to root. I survived a month, Wolvish - 1 month max??? ;)
Yup.. ;-) MIUI is on my list too.. Will soon try that after finishing off CM7..

Is 2.2 froyo update for defy officially out for Indian users ?

It was.. They removed the update from their servers after a couple of days, but most of us managed to update.. Great improvement of battery life, better UI are some of the things I noticed. But got bored with it and flashed CM7 and WOW.. What a great after market OS it turned out to be.. Loving every moment I spend with it.. :)

St.John said:
@ kvikram, I guess you're still waiting to purchase an Android phone. I think you need to do a bit of research, to understand how to root, install custom roms. There is actually quite a few things to learn before you attempt to install a Custom Rom on your Android phone because god forbid if you get stuck and your phone gets bricked, you are in trouble.. It isn't really that difficult, but you should know what to do when and how. I suggest you skim the xda-developers forum to get a hang of things.

By data if you mean your contacts and songs, no. Songs will be stored in the SD Card and modded ROM's do not mess with the data in your SD Card. Contacts are always backed up on your gmail ID, so when you sync the first time after installing a new ROM, all your Contacts will be back on your phone. sms's can be backed up by quite a few apps in the market and you can take a back up off all the app's apk (installation files) by Titanium back up.

@ Voila, Its been more than a month the 2.2 official firmware for Indian Defy came out.

@ killmastern3, How did you mange to remove the chinese alphabets on the iphone type lockscreen?
I don't have any chinese characters. I installed the chinese rom and then flashed the english language pack. Did you install the us rom

Btw, I think we are going offtopic here. Guess we should move to the mobile phones forum.

Sent from my awesome defy ;)

Back