Spice Mi 410 or Moto Defy?

DarkAngel

Skilled
Advantages Spice Mi 410
  • Better Processor and GPU (QSD8255 1GHz+ Adreno 205)
  • WVGA 4.1" screen (Larger screen but Welcomm A99 seems to have 262k color. So Mi 410 might also have the same)
  • Slimmer profile
  • Front Camera
  • 720p playback, HDMI out
  • 13.3k from SAHOLIC after discounts
-ve of Spice is that its relatively new, the camera protudes in the back and thus might get smudged soon.

Advantages of Moto
  • More rugged
  • 16M color screen and better quality LCD
  • CM7 available
  • Larger battery
  • 14.3k from letsbuy with a BT headset worth ~Rs.600-700
-ve of Moto is that it has higher SAR value.

Both run Froyo (Moto will get it shortly)

I am not going to root it straight away. Only after 3-4 months.

Usage pattern:
  • My major usage is playing games (Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc...)
  • Checking TE, Cricinfo via apps and browsing a bit.
  • Bit of music, videos
  • Occasional Snaps and video recording
  • I am planning to use it for 2 years.
I am super confused between the two. Help me out guys :huh:

My budget is 14k. So dont suggest Nexus S or O2X :p

Motorola DEFY vs. Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 - GSMArena.com

m-jeri said:
@DA..

U disappointed me mate. I was hoping u get the mi410. and when i come to tvm in aug will come and check it out. :(.

You Brutus.
:ashamed:

Techie#1 said:
now,since last 1 month when i purchased the defy,my 3 yr old nephew is a complete addict to it,mainly due to the tons of games & fun apps which i had installed on it!...now i loose my phone more often than i can be happy for purchasing the defy.Though it's really a awesome phone,NO DOUBT, & i purchased it primarily due to the Total Rigid Rough Tough Build(as i primarily'm a outgoing nature person),...however pre-purchase i somewhat overlooked the SAR Point & also couldn't figurein the addiction of a kid to this fun toy & hence the exposure implication.Now that as i find a lot of ppl discussion SAR issues of mobile phones as well as of the defy,....i want to know specifically,how much dangerous can this phone(Motorola Defy)really be(particularly in the S.A.R sense) for a little kid who has kind of got addicted to it & plays/stays with the phone for long periods of time?
Grab it from him and get him an Ipod touch 4G. I wouldnt give any mobiles to kids below 5 let alone one that has close the max. allowed SAR.

On the other hand what happens when one uses it on the flight mode? The antenna switches off right? So then does it become just like Ipod touch? If that is the case then at least put the phone on flight mode when you give it to the kids.

DarkAngel said:
The more time i took to decide the more confused i was :S

yeah, that is why they say, "ignorance is bliss" esp regarding cell phones.;)

Defy got more votes as there were more users in TE..:bleh: off course it is a good phone..
Mi 410 got high end hardware and decent looks, will be ruling at-least for one year.

anyways thanks for the poll, i made up my mind..:)

Actually u people u need to consider 3 things.

1. In forums, people kinda flock into "In-Hype" stuff. thats ONLY it got more votes and reason Defy got more users in TE.

2. Anything Indian is not good mentality by us

3. Even after 1&2, Spice got a 29 votes. WHICH GOT TO BE BIGGER than the 57 by defy.

Ofc my opinion only.

DarkAngel said:
I know they have the same SOC. But didnt want to spend 14k and not get a premium finish. But in 6-8 months guess the Nexus S would come down to 13k-15k and i might grab that. ( I know we can get a used Vibrant for the same price but didnt want the hassles of importing stuff and having an expensive 2nd hand stuff without warranty)

Nexus S for 13-15k in the next 6-8 months :O ? I'll save up for it then. :)

It will still be a good phone after 6-8 months, even hardware wise.

Confused between defy and mi410

Know this qn has been asked once...but...anyway

Confused between these two phones(Spice mi410 and the motorola defy)...
What I expect from the phone (in order)
1.Should last a minimum of 2-3 years
2.I would be using the phone as a music player(so need good quality sound output),media player(watching videos,movies) and for camera/video recording as well...
3.Would be gaming,reading pdfs,instal and occasionally browsing the net
4.I would absolutely hate any lags from the touchscreen. I would as well smash the phone against the wall(+1 defy,it'd survive :p) than get irked by a laggy interface. So the one which isn't laggy in browsing and gaming.
5.A good battery life

My opinions on the phones so far
1.At first I was all up for the spice seeing the appalling scores of the defy in the Droidsans review of the defy and 410 side by side. Also the 4.1" screen makes the whole touch experience a pleasure with gaming,video playback,reading pdfs,texting etc.,
2.But then the sheer ruggedness of the defy made me think twice as I would want the phone to last 2-3 years.
3.But then again the mi410 delivers so much bang(4.1" screen :clap:,1ghz snapdragon processor,adreno 205 gpu.....720 p recording,hd video playback)for lesser bucks than the defy.
4.I wouldn't be using the front camera and the HDMI out of the mi410.
5.I dont care about any SAR values as i wouldn't mind dying any earlier :p neither do i have any problems trusting spice.
6.Also I don't care about any resale value as I wouldnt be parting with my phone until death do us apart ;)
7.I'm new to android phones, so I wouldn't be rooting the device any sooner than 6-10 months...so I would obviously be missing on the great mods and community support for the defy
8.The defy is light and also wouldn't need any extra screen guards and pouches which is a huge plus when compared to the spice which is a lot more heavier and would need pouches screen guards(a pain in the arse).

Other questions
1.Taking into account the inferior hardware of the defy, would it be better to root the phone as soon as possible to get its performance on par with the 410?I'm new to rooting and stuff.So it would take enormous amounts of time and risk for me to learn and do things.
2.Which is the better amongst the two with the touch interface(without any lags)?
3.Basically it has boiled down to being bigger screen,better performance Vs. ruggedness....the dilemma rests in which one to choose. :huh:
4.Is it better choosing one of them now(the defy has been here for a while and the 410 is relatively new) or wait for a better one(like the rumored defy+)
5.Does the defy come in the sportier white and black model in India and with letsbuy??
6.When the hell would letsbuy be removing the bluetooth headset combo offer on the defy?! :mad:

Re: Confused between defy and mi410

i dont know much about about mi420, but i have defy, it is a solid phone.

i root my defy on day 1(this is my first android phone) and installed CM7.

trust me its almost impossible to hard brick defy,99% of the brick are recoverable if you know what to do,

the is huge support for defy which you cannot expect from mi420.

i am very happy about my defy except for the screen size,it is too small for gaming.

PS: i bricked my defy twice in past 7days, it was purely my fault(i was playing with system files) but then i recovered it very easily

i dont know much about about mi420, but i have defy, it is a solid phone.
i root my defy on day 1(this is my first android phone) and installed CM7.
trust me its almost impossible to hard brick defy,99% of the brick are recoverable if you know what to do,
the is huge support for defy which you cannot expect from mi420.
i am very happy about my defy except for the screen size,it is too small for gaming.

PS: i bricked my defy twice in past 7days, it was purely my fault(i was playing with system files) but then i recovered it very easily

hav been using unrooted defy for almost 2 months, can jst say its a solid fone and go for it.
talking abt spice...dis was d company dat launched 12 mp camera fone dat vanished d day it was launched.
never go for dese chinese fones reassembled in india.

Go for Defy as Spice Mi-410 is said to have some hardware problems (even there are talks of minor defects in Motorola Triumph [american version of spice mi-410]).
If not for the hardware problems of spice mi-410, I'd definitely suggest mi-410 for your purpose (adreno 205 simply rocks in gaming as it has got a HUGE developer support)
If you can wait and increase your budget, go for galaxy s - rugged, powerful and futureproof (it's already 19,800). Don't go for nexus s as it doesn't even have a gorilla glass. Only minus of galaxy s is camera flash.

1.Should last a minimum of 2-3 years

-MOTO DEFY .. strong(est) build and "better ASS"

-DEFY has gorilla glass ..

-DEFY is lighter.

-Has 2 Gig internal ROM .. so all apps can be stored there.

2.I would be using the phone as a music player(so need good quality sound output),media player(watching videos,movies) and for camera/video recording as well...

-MOTO DEFY, as the MI-410 has a washed out 262K screen which is unacceptable for a current day phone.

Also the MI-410 provides you a bigger screen ..

3.Would be gaming,reading pdfs,instal and occasionally browsing the net

-Most gaming needs would be fulfilled by a DEFY especially running CM7 .. the scores literally double from stock.

SPICE obviously has more powerful HW

-SPICE has bigger screen.

4.I would absolutely hate any lags from the touchscreen. I would as well smash the phone against the wall(+1 defy,it'd survive ) than get irked by a laggy interface. So the one which isn't laggy in browsing and gaming.

-DEFY has a very responsive touchscreen .. have no idea about the MI-410 ..

5.A good battery life

DEFY has 1540Mah vs 1400 Mah for Spice ..

Rooting and installing custom roms are very easy for Defy. A defy running CM7 will satisfy all your needs. I guess most of the defy users here in te are already using custom roms. Head over to the defy thread and you will notice all of them are happy with the performance. If you are planning to use the mobile for an couple of years, Defy is undoubtedly your best bet.

I do not know your budget. From the models you chose, maybe its 15k. I usually recommend Spice Mi-410 for the value and hardware. But if you want a phone to last for more than a year, then go for defy.

Also before buying deciding either. Go have a look at Spice Mi-410 yourself. Because people's opinion differ in this forum. I have personally looked at it and it looks solidly built. Motorola Triumph problem is software and not hardware. So the issues you see are software problems from motorola. It seems they rushed the product soon to the market. Huawei X5/X6 seems to not have this problem. Some Spice Mi-410 users have random issues that you need to check out. So Please go this thread and have a look, http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/spice-mi-410-smartphone-1ghz-snapdragon-190441.html

If you are looking for alternate phone, I would have you choose one and only other model: Nexus S. Why? Since it seems you like to hold onto the phone longer and not mod it. You need Nexus S which is supported directly from Google, so you do not have to go through the pain of modding to get the updates. My Nexus S is currently running 2.3.5. Also you will get the latest next major update (ICS) before than any other models in the market. So please keep that in mind.

Nexus S does have scratch resistant glass (NOT GORILLA GLASS). If you put on a screen protector, then you should be fine. Plus it does have better gpu and cpu than Defy. ONE IMPORTANT THING, IT HAS NFC (NEAR FIELD COMMUNICATION) CHIP which only few models have currently in market. So please keep that also in mind. But in the end, it is your choice that matters.

My final advice: PLEASE RESEARCH PROBLEMS IN DETAILS BEFORE YOU DISCOUNT A MODEL. Happy Buying :)

Back